Friday, May 20, 2011
31st Day of the Omer

Parshat Bechukotai
Candle Lighting at 7:45 PM

Can We Teach Innovation?

We all understand that America and Israel's edge in today's "it's a small world" global market is innovation. Due to our high standard of living (and Israel's small domestic market), it's hard to imagine that either country will ever become major manufacturers.

Some of us are just more innovative by nature. We try to think of a quicker, smarter, easier way to do things. We are not satisfied with the status quo- we constantly want to make it better. 

However, schools by their nature are conservative. There's a lot of truth to the joke about Rip Van Winkle (after coming out of years of slumber) going in the store and being dazzled by all the amazing choices, crossing the street and being perplexed by the cars whizzing by, but upon entering a school remarking "now this I recognize". 

I do believe that one can create a school atmosphere that breeds innovation. If students are encouraged to create new committees and programs and to pick apart the way things were done in the past and always strive to do it better, the mandate to innovate comes through loud and clear.

Some of the most innovative aspects of our school are Brainstorm (school magazine), Yearbook and this e-mail newsletter Yeshiva Highlites.

The Brainstorm this year was taken to a whole new plain. Each edition had a theme (Back to School, Holocaust, Israel, and Change), and examined the subject through a variety of prisms and intellectually-stimulating and thought-provoking articles. Printed in full color on glossy paper, the Brainstorm pleased the eye and the mind. The last edition of the year comes out this Monday.

It's hard to believe that the 2011 WYHS Yearbook surpasses last year's. Close to 250 pages long, each page is an ingenious piece of art. The yearbooks have arrived (the earliest ever!), are now on sale (click here to order), and are being distributed this coming week. 

Yeshiva Highlites' innovative vistas this year included Theme-based editions  (Dr Seuss Edition), Highlites mimicking real life (Time Magazine Year End Edition) , creative Banners (Storm Illustrated), totally new media (Purim Storybook), eye-popping graphics, alumni interviews, and more.

We salute the exceptionally dedicated outgoing seniors who were the "innovators in chief"; Brainstorm's Shalva Ginsparg, Yeshiva Highlites' (Emeritus) Josh Stadlan, and Yearbook's Hadassah Tirschwell. Less in front of the camera but playing a huge role were the enormously talented Justin Stauber and Jonah Katz.

With the majority of each of these staffs being underclassmen, the future looks even brighter!

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Head of School 

Coming Attractions

This Shabbat
Freshman Shabbaton  

@ Galt Ocean Mile 

This Sunday-  

Lag Ba'omer 

Drama Performance

of FOOLS
Tickets Available at the Door!  

Monday May 22    

Third Trimester

Chesed Hours Due

Tues May 31-Fri Jun 3 

Final Exams

Thursday June 2

Graduation- 7:00pm Olympic Heights HS    

Good & Wellfare

Mazel Tov

Donna Sabag ('02) on her engagement to Adam Von Samek of Chicago

Shira Roszler ('04) on her engagement to Kivi Steinberger

Ben J. Genet on being honored at the Jewish Federation of
Broward County Annual Meeting   

Refuah Shleima

Penina Bat Chana

shabbatNews Brief 

Success on The Circle    

Shabbaton is a Smashing Hit 

Written By Becky Shachter and Elana Kaminetsky ('12)
Graphic By Amir Tsarfati ('13)  

Last week, junior girls from Hollywood, Boca Raton, and Miami congregated on The Circle for a spectacular and uplifting Shabbat. The beautiful Shabbat kicked off with a well-attended and meaningful davening at the home of Student Activities Director Shira Englander. Following the inspirational tefillah, the girls split up to enjoy Friday night dinner with several of their teachers and administrators who so graciously opened their homes. The girls then came together once again for a tisch filled with singing, zemirot, conversation, tasty deserts, and meaningful divrei Torah.

On Shabbat day, lunch was again at different teachers' homes to allow the students an opportunity to interact with many different teachers and their families in an outside-the-classroom setting. Specifically, Rabbi Tirschwell's home became notorious not only for its meatballs, but also for Rabbi Tirschwell's introspective questions reflecting back on the year.

Despite the never-ending rain, the girls ventured out in their ponchos to Mrs. Lysee Stein's house for a seudah shelisheet. All the junior girls and teachers ate, sang, and hung out, as they treasured the final minutes of the waning Shabbat

The shabbaton was great closure to reflect back on an amazing year which was filled with growth and inspiration. Thank you to Mrs. Shira Englander, who coordinated the Shabbos as well as to all of the teachers for opening up their homes and giving of their time to spend with the girls.   

BeitNews Brief 

Beit Midrash Barons 

WYHS Rules YU Program, Takes Home First
and Third Places

Written By Isaac Pearl ('11)
Graphic By Jason Mark ('14)  

Beit Midrash is a class offered to seniors where students have the opportunity to learn Gemara with a chavruta, a study partner, rather than in a teacher-focused setting. This year, students learned Mesechet Megillah as part of a larger national program run by Yeshiva University.

In the unique class, all chavrutas are required to learn an amud (page of Talmud) a week and read the amud aloud to faculty advisor Rabbi Sugarman at the end of each week. In addition to traditional grades, throughout the year, five tests are administered nationwide by Yeshiva University as part of a competition. Each test, on average, covers about six amudim and requires much preparation and study time.

This past week, the results of the nationwide testing were released, and I was fortunate to have scored the highest out of any participant nationwide. In addition to the hours of intensive studying put forth, I could not have won the national competition without the help of Rabbi Sugarman for keeping me on track, explaining difficult sugyas, and giving me words of encouragement. It is thanks to him that I was able to be victorious in this competition and increase my breadth of knowledge of Gemara. We would also like to commend Josh Stadlan ('11) for finishing in third place in the contest.     

SLABFeature Story 

SLAB of Leadership 
Click on Graphic Below to Watch 2010-2011 SLAB Video 

Written By Ezra Kurtz ('12) 

Graphic By Andy Agus ('13)  

Though usually the leaders within the WYHS student body go unannounced and unappreciated, this Monday's SLAB (Student Leadership Awards Banquet) provided them with the proper recognition that they truly deserve. The ceremony began as students were treated to a surprise lunch consisting of pizza, salad and French fries. After the students feasted on the sumptuous fare, they proceeded into the BRS Main Sanctuary to begin the festivities celebrating student leaders.

Principal Ora Lee Kanner began the ceremony with a touching tribute to the students who head some of the most prominent positions in the school - The Student Council, the Yearbook and Highlites. Seniors Samara Dennis and Joshua Stadlan were thanked for their tireless work as Student Council presidents, Hadassah Tirschwell ('11) was praised for her exceptional leadership in producing the Yearbook, and I received warm words of commendation for heading this fine publication. Then, Mrs. Kanner urged the student body to follow the leadership exemplified by these individuals, a point soon enumerated by the incredible SLAB video.

The SLAB video was set as a mock news broadcast. Andy Agus ('13) and Becky Schachter ('12) anchored the video as they rotated between special "correspondents," who happened to be in charge of various committees. Students got to see the phenomenal dedication that every committee leader puts into their job, whether it be Wake-Up or AIPAC. In addition, the crowd was mesmerized by the hilarious "commercial breaks" in between different segments of the broadcast. Especially noteworthy was the Chazak charity concert commercial.

The incredible video was followed by the recognition of perhaps the most inspirational leader WYHS has ever had. Head of School Rabbi Perry Tirschwell stood before the audience and announced that Moshe Kaminetsky ('11) would be receiving a commemorative plaque for the countless hours of dedication he has shown on behalf of WYHS. The crowd overwhelmingly showed their appreciation for "Moyshe" through a two minute long standing ovation.

The inspiration that the ceremony provided was evident immediately thereafter. As soon as SLAB ended, a long line of students formed to sign up for the ultimate leadership opportunity - to join the 2011-2012 Student Council. The incredible effectiveness of the program was a result of a combined effort from Director of Student Activities Shira Englander, Assistant Director of Student Activities and SLAB video script writer Rabbi Allan Houben, and the entire videography department headed by Mrs. Claudia Cohen. 

chesedDept. of Rocket Science

Sentimental Side Up  
 A Tribute to Those From the Class of 2011 Leaving Highlites

Written By Ezra Kurtz ('12)
Graphic By Binyamin Feit ('12)

Though Highlites makes its way to people's inboxes every week throughout the school year, the incredible commitment and dedication required for such frequent publication is often overlooked. When this year began, I must profess that I too was not fully aware just how much work the entire Highlites staff put in to every issue. While every member of the staff deserves tremendous accolades, this tribute is dedicated to three individuals who will end their tenure at WYHS in less than a month, yet whose imprint will remain forever in Claudia's Cave.

Justin Stauber- Individualism is a word tossed around quite a lot these days. However, until one sees the personal touch that Justin put into every one of his graphics, one can not truly appreciate the word. The devotion that Justin showed to this publication was truly an inspiration to those who were aware of it, especially myself. He watched countless YouTube videos to improve his already impeccable Photoshop techniques. He would forfeit many a Friday breakfast to complete the most stubborn of graphics. He spent Thursday afternoons creating the most stunning and precise of Highlites banners at the expense of extra soccer practice. Though being a perfectionist can at times be detrimental, Justin proved that with Highlites it is anything but, and for that, I thank him.

Jonah Katz- The programming ability that Jonah brought to the table was something instrumental in so many Highlites editions throughout the years. It would be safe to say that some of our more complex web-based issues could not have been concocted without the invaluable HTML and DreamWeaver knowledge Jonah Katz contributed. Though Jonah was the Technical Editor of the fantastic 2010-2011 Yearbook, he contributed his diverse technical abilities at many points throughout the year when Highlites was in a bind. His expertise and wide range of knowledge will sorely be missed by the Highlites, but certainly greatly appreciated by anyone fortunate enough to work with him on his future endeavors.

Joshua Stadlan When Josh Stadlan first invited me to join the Highlites Staff Writers, I had little idea that it was merely the beginning of personal and Highlites-related relationship that would lead me to the position I am in today, able to have the honor of penning his farewell. Throughout last year, Josh served as the paragon of what a Highlites Editor-in-Chief should be: he motivated the staff, structured the different departments and contributed hundreds of hours towards a publication which he revolutionized in every single one of its aspects. Josh continued to subtly guide the publication throughout this year, whether it was through his teaching of the many intricacies Photoshop, or through his immaculate last minute proofreading. It would not be an exaggeration to say that the example Josh Stadlan set during his tenure as Highlites Editor-in-Chief forged my unyielding work ethic and increased sense of responsibility that comes with the privilege of running this exceptional publication.   

While I have been fortunate enough to experience firsthand the incredible and unique talents of each of these three seniors, I hope this farewell purveys to the larger audience just how important the outgoing seniors have been to development, evolution and continuation of the Highlites.  

chesedPublications Dept.

Graphic By Joshua Firestone ('13)

pubClick on the Tumbnails below to view the full publication.

Brainstorm

Spanish Cultural Magazine

Ashreinu

Yearbook Order Form 

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Ezra Kurtz
Editor in Chief

Justin Stauber
Technical Editor

Sarah Struhl
Creative Editor

David Hopen