Friday, April 1, 2011
26 Adar II, 5771 
Parshat Tazria
Candle Lighting at 7:19 PM

Just Do It!

I must come clean: the inspiration for WYHS' new annual PE requirement (beginning with present freshman class) is my discovering the critical importance of intense physical activity in my busy, but increasingly sedentary, life. If we want our students to lead healthy, productive and long lives, they cannot wait to "open that e-mail" until their mid 40's. 

Reading the applications of prospective students this spring, I have been struck by the high percentage who are passionate about playing sports. What a blessing! Though an unusually high sixty percent of our students play on at least one of our competitive athletic teams, we are shooting for 100% of our students doing some meaningful physical activity. 

I don't mean to limit the value of sports to physical fitness, because they are an opportunity to learn so many more life lessons. 

Collaboration. There has been much written lately about how schools are not preparing students to collaborate, which a survey of CEOs identified as one of the most important traits in a potential hire.  Our sports teams teach this lesson every day.  

Perseverance. Not being a naturally avid sports fan, I find it extremely difficult to watch our teams when they are behind on the scoreboard. However, we all must be mentally prepared for life's up and downs, never losing hope, understanding that the most important move is my next one. 

Doing your best. I often say that if a student learns one lesson at WYHS, it's putting forth your very best effort in everything you do. Because there is a score and coaches and spectators analyzing your every move, it's often much more evident on the court or the field if you are putting forth maximum effort. 

We need to listen to coaches. Thinking we always know best will limit our ability to grow in life. There are others who view our performance more objectively and, unlike us, do not underestimate our potential.

It's not about me. Our rabbis explain the verse, "adam ra min'urav" as: babies are born totally selfish - only caring about their needs, with no concern for the exhausted parents they are waking up. As young adults we must begin to recognize that life is about something bigger than "me" - it's about my family, my community, my business, and my team.

May all of our students learn these lessons - on or off the court. 

Go STORM!

Shabbat Shalom, 

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell  

Head of School

Coming Attractions

Sun April 3-Mon April 4  

Sophomore and Junior Class Trips 

Mon April 4   

Freshman Chesed Day
Senior Video Taping-
No Senior Classes

Tues April 5

Rosh Chodesh Nissan

Wed April 6
Tennis District Tournament Begins

Sun April 10
ACT @ WYHS

Mon April 11
Congressman Ted Deutsch to Address Student Body

Wed April 13
Environmental Carnival

Fri April 15-
Wed April 27

Pesach Break   

Good & Wellfare

Mazel Tov

Batsheva Davis ('03) on her engagement to Gilad Adamit from Binghamton, NY/Israel

Mordechai ('06) and Rebecca Siev on their marriage

Joseph Hostyk ('13) and David Hopen ('12) on receiving the Judges Award at the Miami Dade Youth Fair

Refuah Shleima

Penina Bat Chana

Condolences

Chami (Sherri) Gross on the passing of her father

Rabbi Moshe Schochet on the loss of his grandfather,  

Rabbi Max Lipschitz

psatLeading Off

A Complete Game 

Stellar Pitching and Hitting Key in Victories

Written By Zachary Griff ('12)
Graphic By Jonathan Razon ('13)  

The boys baseball team has achieved  tremendous improvement this season. With the stellar leadership of experienced coach, Brian Domenico, the dominating pitching performances from Andrew Wald ('12), and a timely home run from Alec Feintuch ('13), the team defeated both of its major rivals - Hillel and Hebrew Academy.

Although the team has not been as successful playing against its district opponents, everyone has put in great effort and has had plenty of enjoyment playing the sport.  

As the season draws to a close, the team is anxiously awaiting the arrival of next spring for a chance to improve on the foundation it has built this year, but will also miss seniors Matthew Jacoby and Elie Genet who will be leaving after this season.

psatLeading Off
 Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend

Softball Team Turns in Stellar Season 
Written By Elana Kaminetsky ('12)
Graphic By Jason Mark ('14)  

The second girls softball season in WYHS history has been an exciting one. With both veterans and rookies on the team, the girls easily united and become a cohesive unit capable of challenging even the toughest of opponents. Led by Coach Loren Stein as well as captains Chana Goldberg ('11), Rivkah Begas ('11), Elana Kaminetsky ('12) and Jessica Wolff ('12), the team developed skills and fundamentals instrumental to the sport.

The team has played its heart out, and although the scoreboard has not always reflected that effort, they displayed sportsmanship and teamwork and truly epitomized what the WYHS Storm are all about. We wish them luck in the last few games and look forward to seeing great things from the team in the future.

Feature Story

Success at Sarachek
Team Storms Into Championship Game, 
Alex Stein Wins 3-Point Shootout 

Written By Leora Litwin ('12) 

Graphic By Binyamin Feit ('12)  

The culmination of every high school sports season ends with the long-awaited districts - a "winner goes on" tournament that usually ends quickly for most Yeshivas that compete against schools that are of a higher athletic caliber. With the widespread growth of Yeshiva high schools across the nation, there came a demand for a formal tournament in which Jewish schools could face beatable competition, specifically on the basketball court.  Yeshiva University decided to host such an annual tournament, known as Sarachek, in which 20 Jewish schools are selected from various locations across the country and brought to the tri-state area to compete.

Our boys basketball team was privileged to participate this year and returned home with a gleaming second place trophy. Beginning on a high note, the boys dominated the Akiva Hebrew Day School Pioneers from Detroit in a sweeping 59-29 victory. The following day the team hit a rough patch, falling by just 5 points to Yavneh Academy of Dallas in the Tier II qualifier.

Ultimately though, the Storm proved their 13th seed was no fluke as they won the right to compete in the Tier III championship with a stellar triumph against the Kohelet Kings of Philidelphia. In the championship game, the Storm jumped out to an early six point lead, but  an inconsistent offensive performance cost them a close match. 

Senior Matthew Jacoby led the team in scoring during the tournament, including a 17 point performance in the semifinals. He was followed by Eli Mamman ('12), who opened the tournament with a 15 point performance. Center Adam Poliak ('11) controlled the boards throughout the tournament, leading the team in rebounds.

The Storm also emerged victorious in the 3-point shootout, as shooting guard Alex Stein ('11) proved to be the most accurate shooter in the tournament.  With Coach Jon Kaweblum and Dr. David Kornbluth directing the Storm, the team exemplified outstanding sportsmanship and left a memorable imprint on the national Jewish high school basketball scene.   

Highlight Reel

The Best of the Spring 

Written By Leora Litwin ('12) 

Graphic By Aaron Rose ('13)  

Graphic By Amir Tsarfati ('13)
chesedJust My Type

Covering All the Bases
 Freshman Begins Blog About Favorite Baseball Team

Written By Andrew Wald ('12)
Graphic By Josh Firestone ('13)

Isaac Kurtz ('14) has recently begun blogging about the Marlins for isportsweb.com. To read his blog, click on the graphic above.  

Andrew Wald: Are you the biggest Marlins fan in the school?

Isaac Kurtz: Considering most of the school likes the Yankees, I'd say so. I might have some stiff competition from my older brother Ezra though.

AW: How was it having one of your first posts being featured on ESPN.com?

IK: Pretty great, and I'm glad that I could get a little more exposure. You never know how many people were able to read it once it was picked up by such a prestigious national media outlet.   

AW: Do you get any feedback on your posts?

IK: Constantly. There are always people telling me telling me their opinions about the Marlins. Every once-in-a-while, I get a comment about my grammar.  

AW: Does anyone ever say something too offensive?

IK: People are usually pretty polite, except for the one time I was critical of Marlins third baseman Matt Dominguez. Apparently he has a lot of fans in South Florida. 

AW: How do you think the Marlins will do this year?

IK: As I wrote in my season preview, I believe they have the ability to win 90 games and ride the wild card to their third postseason berth. 

AW: Have you met any Marlins players recently?

IK: No, but I did sit next to Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria at a spring training game.

AW: Did he give you any insights into the ballclub?

IK: He seemed to believe that contrary to public opinion, the moves the Marlins made this offseason were beneficial to the future success of the team.

AW: Are you planning to stick with coverage of the Marlins or are you eventually going to cover all South Florida sports teams?

IK: As of now, I think I'm going to stay with the Marlins, but you never know what the future might bring.

Photo of the Week

Sunday Funday  

Graphic By Jonah Stein ('13) 

Ashreinu

Click on the image above to view this week's Ashreinu.  

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Ezra Kurtz
Editor in Chief

Justin Stauber
Technical Editor

Sarah Struhl
Creative Editor

David Hopen
English Editor

Elana Kaminetsky
Chief-of-Writers

Jeffrey Herr