Friday, February 11, 2011
7 Adar I 5771 
Parshat Tetzaveh
Candle Lighting at 5:52 PM

TALK

About What You

Think Is Important

Yesterday I met with a prospective capital campaign donor who told me that both of his married children live within a few miles of his home. I asked him how was he so fortunate. He explained "Rabbi- it's all about the dinner table. We always spoke about how miserable the winters are up north and how fortunate we are to live in such a beautiful place". It worked.

Rabbi Yair Altshuler, immediate past high school principal of the Maimonides School in Boston, made the same point to a group of school administrators. Talk to the students about what you think is important. Don't assume that they get the messages by osmosis.

A few weeks ago, we started announcing every morning in school the number of days that Gilad Shalit has been in captivity. Though I don't think that anger often directed at the Israeli government is fair or productive, I do believe that Gilad ben Aviva can never be far from our thoughts and must be in our prayers daily.

What do you talk about at your table?  What are the 5 most important values that you want to communicate? Integrity, fidelity to shmirat hamtzvot, going out of your way to help people, hard work, etc. You don't have to be preachy. Stories, divrei Torah, and current events can all illustrate your principles.

You might need a degree to teach a class, but you don't need a degree to be a parent. 

Shabbat Shalom, 

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell  

Head of School
Coming Attractions

Mon Feb 14    

Tzedakah Program 

Tues  Feb 15 

First Tennis Match
vs. St. Andrews

Thurs Feb 17

First Boys Baseball
Game vs. Community
Christian

Mon Feb 21
Presidents' Day

No school

Tues Feb 29
Color War

Click here for more details

Good & Wellfare

Mazel Tov  
Seniors Shalva Ginsparg, Shlomit Heering, Joshua Stadlan, & Hadassah Tirschwell on being named National Merit Finalists

Rabbi & Mrs. Sugerman  on being honored at the Torah Academy Dinner 

Refuah Shleima
Azriel Moshe ben Dorit Chana

Condolences
Math Instructor
Mrs. Heidi Segal
on the loss of her father
Featurette

Rosh Chodesh Improv 
What Volcanoes, Mannequins, Psychics
& 8th Graders Have in Common

On Rosh Chodesh Adar I, prospective students from all over South Florida joined the WYHS student body for a scrumptious breakfast of waffles, latkes, and klondike bars, followed by a performance by THEY, an improv group.

Content By Rashel Maikhor ('12) and Shoshana Linzer ('12) 

Graphic By Aaron Rose ('13)

Feature Story
 Delegations to U'Nations    
Students Compete and Learn About World Issues    

Written By Eliana Feldan ('13)
Graphic By Binyamin Feit ('12) 

This past Sunday, the students chosen to represent WYHS at Yeshiva University's twenty-first annual Model United Nations took off to Stamford, Connecticut for an experience of a lifetime.

When the students arrived at the Stamford Plaza Hotel, they quickly suited up and joined the other 475 delegates in time to watch the Super Bowl while enjoying massive amounts of football-friendly food.

But Model UN was not all fun and games.  Immediately following the Green Bay Packers' victory, the delegates rushed to their first committee sessions in which they dove into finding solutions for their issues at hand. They worked tirelessly on preparing speeches, gaining allies, and producing resolutions.

After an early wake-up, the delegates started their work in helping mankind. Most committee sessions were interrupted by a grave yet humorous crisis. Delegates on the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) faced the horrifying news that all of the women of the world followed Hilary Clinton and Oprah Winfrey to a remote island in order to escape discrimination.  Other committees faced slightly more realistic troubles, like the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), which dealt with an oil spill in the Suez Cannal.

This year, Model UN went international, as students hailed from England, Brazil, and South Africa to represent the Red Cross in the various committees.  They contributed fresh ideas to the issues the UN faced.

Lead by the fearless faculty advisor Mrs. Amy An, the WYHS delegation was honored with a "best delegate" award, granted to senior Hadassah Tirschwell. Overall, the students who attended Model UN were privileged with an unparalleled experience, one in which they were able to meet new friends and expand their horizons, while learning about the greater global community.

chesedOut and About

Boomers: Where Freshmen Rule
Freshmen Enjoy Go-Karts, Arcade Games, and So Much More...

Graphic By Andy Agus ('13)
Written By Elyse Tripp ('14)

This Monday night, the freshman class went to Boomers, excited to end their long day at school with a night of fun and relaxation. With tokens and cards in hand, the freshmen quickly went off into a sea of flashing lights and arcade noises, racing to fill their hands with prizes. Some students ran to be the first to ride the go-karts, taking most of the class along with them.   

Everyone had a blast. Jackpots were won, games were played, and deals were made. As the night progressed, most girls went on an adventure in the children's playground; some even got trapped.  Upstairs at laser-tag, students put on their protective gear, prepared for battle, and starting shooting.   

By the end of the night, everyone was ready to trade in their tickets for food, stuffed animals, and even some lava lamps.  Each student returned home with both fun prizes and great memories.

chesedInterview Dept.

Model Student

Hadassah Tirschwell Tells About the Evolution  

of Her Experiences at Model UN

Graphic By Amir Tsarfati ('13)

Written By  Elana Gelman ('12) 

Hadassah Tirschwell is currently a senior and has just returned from her third trip to Connecticut for Yeshiva University Model UN.  Not only has she gained the respect and awe of her fellow delegates--young novices and seasoned veterans alike--but she has also earned the nickname "2BD," after winning the "Best Delegate Award" in her committee for the second consecutive year.   

Elana Gelman: What did you do to prepare for Model UN?

Hadassah Tirschwell: I researched my country, Singapore, and how the country views the issues that my committee, the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS) was dealing with-Space Debris and an International Space Agency.

EG: How many hours did you spend each day in the committee rooms?

HT: Sunday night was the Super Bowl so committee sessions started at 10:15 pm.  Because I wasn't so interested in watching the game, I hung out in my committee room and got to know many of the other delegates on my committee.  Even though sessions ended at 12:00 on Sunday night, I stayed in my committee room working on a working paper past curfew until I was kicked out.  On Monday, we had about nine hours of sessions but I also spent some of the free time caucusing with my fellow delegates writing resolutions.   

EG: Oh, well that clears up the confusion over where you were on Sunday night at 12:30am when Rabbi Tirschwell (your dad) and Mrs. An were looking for you.

EG: What's the difference between being a senior captain and a sophomore beginner at Model UN?

HT: My first year of Model UN, I was focused on figuring out how to be an involved delegate who is respected by the other members of the committee.  By the end of the conference that year, I felt I had "mastered" the ways of a YUNMUN delegate and I was excited to be extremely involved the next year.  When I came back to Model UN in my junior year, I felt prepared and ready to be the best delegate possible.  This year, I not only got to experience Model UN as a delegate but also got to share it with the other WYHS delegates as I aimed to prepare them to be great delegates.

Click on the image above to read this week's edition of Ashreinu.

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Ezra Kurtz
Editor in Chief

Justin Stauber
Technical Editor

Sarah Struhl
Creative Editor in Chief

David Hopen
English Editor

Elana Kaminetsky
Chief-of-Writers

Jeffrey Herr