Friday, October 29, 2010
Cheshvan 5771
Parshat Chayei Sara
Candle Lighting at 6:23 PM

What They're Saying

About You & Me

What defines us as observant Jews? Is it our commitment to Kashrut, Shabbat, Taharat Hamishpachah, Tefillah, or Talmud Torah?

I'd argue that it's none of these.

I spend most of my life in a bubble. I literally live on "the circle" (sounds pretty insular!), spend most of my waking hours at a yeshiva high school, and whatever socializing I do is with people from those two worlds.

Before a yeshiva takes its students on a trip, it speaks to them about "Kiddush or Chillul- there ain't much in between". A large group of identifiably Orthodox teenagers is going to leave one of two impressions upon all who meet them- positive or negative- about what it is to be a Jew.

Paradoxically, what defines us as Jews is our middot. Saying hello to people, making them laugh, saying thank you, not trying to cut corners, speaking positively of others, and letting someone else go first is what makes an impression on others about observant people.

I say that this is a "paradox", because civility and integrity are certainly not the exclusive domain of observant Jews. However, it is the yardstick by which others- Jew and Gentile- will judge our lifestyle.     

At the gym I go to, my trainer asks everyone who walks in "Have You Met Rabbi Perry?" If my kippah didn't give it away, he makes sure that everyone knows that I am supposed to answer to a higher authority.  Now, the sight of me in shorts and a t-shirt (sorry for that visual!) panting away is certainly not Perry Tirschwell's finest moment. As I'm gasping for air wondering if I can make it to the twelfth rotation and will I ever see my wife and children again, I am cognizant of the fact that everyone there develops an opinion about observant Jews based on my actions, even in a very stressful situation

We say to ourselves that we are busier than the other person- we have more kids, more subjects in school, have to get to shul multiple times each day, have one less day a week to drive and shop, can only eat at a few restaurants, etc. etc.

Let the other person go first. Say hello. Compliment them. A kind word or act will accomplish so much for G-d and Torah!

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell
Head of School
The Weeks Ahead

Fri- Sat, Oct.29-30
Hollywood family Shabbaton

Mon. Nov. 1

Sophmore Night Out

Fri. Nov. 5

Senior Sunrise Davening

Sat. Nov. 6

Girls Night Seder Shabbaton

Clocks Change

Sun-Mon. Nov. 7-8

Rosh Chodesh Kislev

Girls Talent Show

Lazy Man Olympics

Mon.  Nov. 22

WYHS Annual

Golf Outing

Sponsorships still available. 
Click here to e-mail Shimmie Kaminetsky.
Mazal Tov
Reine Shattah on being our 253rd Student!

Danielle (Kowal '04) and Uri Weil on the birth of a daughter
Condolences
Batya Foonberg on the loss of her father and to grandson Avinoam Foonberg ('12)
Refuah Shleimah
Eliyahu Refael ben Zehava

Dvasha Sarah bat Chaya Raizel
psatNews Brief

License to Summit

AIPAC Club Sends Delegation to National Summit

Written By Rashel Maikhor ('12)
Graphic By Amir Tsarfati ('13)

This past weekend, AIPAC hosted its annual National Summit at the Diplomat Hotel and Spa in Hollywood, Florida. The committee invited six Weinbaum Yeshiva High School students to be a part of this great conference. Seniors Randi Prince, Adam Poliak, and Jacob Levenson and juniors Rashel Maikhor, Ross Nimhasuer, and Josh Hirth represented WYHS.

The summit focused on topics such as foreign policy and politics. Speakers included Bibi Netanyahu (by live video connection), former Prime Minister of Spain Jose Maria Aznar, and ambassadors, senators, and congressmen who support the Jewish state. The students also attended different lectures that discussed Iran's worldwide influence and what AIPAC can do to ensure that every member of Congress understands and supports the alliance between United States and Israel.

After the summit, families came to hear about AIPAC's goals and how they all can get involved. It was an action-packed two days that gave the students a better understanding and appreciation for what AIPAC does. We would like to thank Ilana Webberman Bendel ('07), our AIPAC and CIA (Committee for Israel Action) advisor, for accompanying the students on the summit.

News Brief

Taking the Lunge

New Conditioning Program Is Runaway Success

Written By Ezra Kurtz ('12)
Graphic By Jonah Stein ('13)

Members of the WYHS Storm have long been known for their exemplary conduct and occasional athletic feats. However, these past few months, numerous student athletes have attended a vigorous conditioning program with the aim of increasing their on-field accomplishments.

With trainers Yogev Berdugo ('01) and Huvie Gately, students were able to tailor their workout towards a specific winter sport they were planning to participate in, or merely attend the program for the exceptional exercise it provided.

Participants in the conditioning program have remarked that they believe these innovative exercises will give them an edge in their respective upcoming sports seasons. Thanks to Athletic Director Mrs. Rachel Yudowitz for implementing this program that will hopefully lead the Storm to many victories.  

chesedFeature Story
WYHS  Lights the Night

Written By Elliot Danis ('12)
Graphics By Justin Stauber ('11) and Aaron Rose ('13)

"One of the most meaningful nights of my life," said Alec Feintuch ('13), describing last Thursday's overwhelmingly emotional Light the Night Walk in downtown Miami Bayfront Park. WYHS students and teachers showed their true colors as they participated in a two-mile walk while raising thousands of dollars for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, a superb foundation dedicated to assisting families with a loved one victimized by the disease.

WYHS students abandoned their substantial workload for a night of meaning and inspiration. Food and T-shirts were passed out as crowds of people came to support the cause with balloons lit up representing the Light the Night theme. The crowd roared as Alec stood up to receive his medal on stage with a smile from ear to ear and a true sense of appreciation and gratitude for the WYHS fan-base.

Darren Jacoby ('13) said the walk "made me feel like we at WYHS took this on from beginning to end, and now it's finally over." WYHS Chesed & Tzedakah Coordinator Mrs. Lysee Stein asserted "as the first tzedakah drive I've run at WYHS, I definitely feel that this is something that I will never forget." The night was full of joy and emotion as the long and strenuous fight against lymphoma finally came to an end for Alec and the other survivors at the walk. The night ended with a brilliant fireworks show to further highlight the night's theme, followed by music that allowed WYHS to finally show off their dance moves. It truly was a night to always remember.

We wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone in the WYHS family who participated with us at The Light the Night Walk on Oct. 21, 2010. Whether it was a financial contribution made in Alec's name to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society or walking with us at Bayside in Miami, your participation was a big reason the evening was such a huge success.  From the administration and faculty to all the students that participated in the walk, it was truly an inspiring evening for all of us to be walking with a "Survivor".

Our entire family hopes and prays that we only share in simchas together in the future.

Lisa, Ira, Alec, Bryant, Remi, and Macie Feintuch

laserInterview Dept.
Pop Quiz 
Mrs. Saddler Transforms Junior Class into Game Show  

Written By Andrew Wald ('12)

Graphic By Andy Agus ('13)

To the enjoyment of the students, Mrs. Liz Saddler is continuing to run her cultural literacy trivia class, this year with her juniors.  Once every few weeks, Mrs. Saddler conducts a class during which she asks interesting questions about relevant figures, stories, or even myths that have come up in class.  During this semi-game show, the class is split up into teams, either boys vs. girls or Boca vs. non-Boca.  The final exam will include extra credit questions based on the topics covered.  I had the opportunity to ask Mrs. Saddler a few questions about this interesting addition to the classroom.

Andrew Wald: Why did you decide to introduce this program in the first place?

Mrs. Saddler: I started doing E.D. Hirsch's Cultural literacy trivia here many years ago, maybe 2002 or 2003. I found that today's generation really lacked a cohesive knowledge base, perhaps because we've lost our oratory traditions, or perhaps because our family time - which used to be reserved for talking with different generations and learning about the past - is so strained and stressed in today's go-go-go-culture. Technology was supposed to make us "smarter," but I think we've wound up sacrificing a core of common knowledge.   

AW: How have you seen your students benefit from this game?

MS: The kids benefit considerably because they are able to better understand allusions in the books we read.  More importantly, it helps them become well-rounded individuals, able to communicate more effectively and understand cultural references from eclectic cultures and time eras. Plus, it's a must if they ever want to be on Jeopardy or Cash Cab!

AW: What type of questions do you usually ask?

MS: A question about literature could be "What is the adjective describing something as 'extravagantly chivalrous, impractical, or romantic' that comes from the title of Cervantes' famous work, Don Quixote?"

In music, I might ask something like, "What is a crescendo?"

If I want my students to learn about relevant cultural figures, I may also ask, "What are Federico Fellini and John Huston known for?"

AW: Do you see some interesting trends in the classroom during the trivia?

MS: Cultural literature is a bit like Color War, in that it provides an opportunity for students with "nickel knowledge" to really shine. It's always fun to see a student become a special 'hero' to his peers because of his previously-untapped knowledge. Once it's discovered that a particular kid has a vast knowledge of certain subjects, such as Greek mythology or Music history, he becomes a wanted man.

Storm Center
Fall Sports Wrap-up, Winter Sports Introduction

This year WYHS introduced a new and exciting sport to the overflowing list of extracurricular activities-Boys Golf.  The talented 2010 squad got the program off to a wildly successful start, winning several matches. Congratulations on a wonderful inaugural season!

This year's volleyball season was truly an unforgettable experience. From the enthusiastic team cheer to the crazy bus rides, the team spirit was overwhelming. With the help of Coach Gui (gigidty gigidty) and Patty Lieber, the team visibly improved in many aspects both on and off the court. Thanks to everyone for the effort put into this incredible season.

Now that the Fall sports teams have enjoyed their memorable seasons, it's time to bring the Winter Sports into the limelight. Next week marks the official start for WYHS November-January athletics' program. Making their annual debut will be the Girls/Boys Varsity Soccer teams, as well as Girls/Boys JV and Varsity Basketball teams. All information for practices and locations are on Edline. Get your Storm gear ready and prepare for an unbelievable season!

Click to solve the
Fall Sports
Crossword Puzzle!

Concept By Leora Litwin ('12)

Graphics By Josh Firestone ('13) and Binyamin Feit ('12)
 Crossword By Jonah Katz ('11)

Alumni in the News

A Win for the Gappers

Alumni Share Stories from Priceless Year in Israel

Graphic By Josh Firestone ('13)

Click on the image above to listen to the our Alumni speak (audio file)

Yoni Levenson ('09) and Perla Maikhor ('09) each delivered powerful testimonies via teleconference on Tuesday night about the importance of their gap year in Israel.

They emphasized that spending an entire year in the Holy Land gave them a greater sense of what Israel means to them as a Jewish Homeland. Moreover, they noted how important the gap year can be due to the unbelievable maturity students' gain as a result of having to live on their own. Finally, both Yoni and Perla spoke about the necessity of setting aside a year exclusively for religious studies. Not only did this allow them unprecedented spiritual growth, it also provided them religious role models to admire in life.

Outside the Classroom
La Fiesta del Año

Señora Kestenbaum Hosts Annual Celebration

Written By Sruli Fixler ('13)
Graphic By Justin Stauber ('11)

WYHS's Spanish course has proven to be more than just an ordinary class, both inside and outside the classroom. Señora  Kestenbaum has shared with her students not only the linguistic fundamentals of the Spanish language, but also a spirited love and appreciation for its culture and lifestyle.

Accordingly, this past Sunday, Spanish students were invited to Mrs. Kestenbaum's home to celebrate another year of Español culture. Students were exposed to Spanish music and unique cultural foods at the fiesta.

David Hopen ('12) remarked that "the fiesta is a great time and something we look forward to every year. Mrs. Kestenbaum gets everyone excited for Espa ñol, and who couldn't enjoy a nice afternoon celebrating Spanish cuisine?" The fiesta was a thrilling start to a new year of Spanish class.   

Viva Español con Señora Kestenbaum!

Click on the image above to view this week's Ashrienu.

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Technical Staff:
  Andy Agus ('13)
 Binyamin Feit ('12)
 Josh Firestone ('13)

Jeffrey Herr ('13)

Jonah Katz ('11)
 Rashel Maikhor ('12)
Jason Mark ('14)

Aaron Rose ('13)
Jonah Stein ('13)
Shoshana Linzer ('12)