Friday April 27, 2012
5 Iyar, 5772

Parashat Tazria-Metzora
Candle Lighting at 7:32 PM

AIPAC, Aliyah,  

Aid or Apartments

What Is Israel's Proper Place in  

Our Hearts & Minds?

The celebrated Israeli author A.B. Yehoshua believes that in the age of the modern State of Israel, Jews who live in the diaspora are not full Jews. Former Israeli Minister Yossi Beilin suggested a few years ago that Israel's philanthropic supporters in the Golah should invest their dollars in strengthening Jewish identity in their home countries, rather than donating them to non profits in Israel.

In the age of an economically strong and 64 year old state of Israel, is American Zionism an oxymoron and an anachronism? Is it better (or worse) for us in the Religious Zionist Camp?

I'd like to offer my personal suggestions for the proper place of Israel in the hearts and minds of Religious Zionists who have chosen to make their lives in the diaspora;

1)      Inspiration- Israel is the source of so much of our religious inspiration- whether it is our experiencing its kedusha first hand, its significant security challenges motivating our prayers, or the source of our national pride. We need to continue to send our children to learn there after high school, to visit when we can, and to follow its news daily.

2)      Israel Needs the USA- As much pride as we may take in the Israeli military, Israel's entire population is smaller than a major city and its land mass is smaller than most American states. Israeli Prime Ministers of all parties try to court the favor of American Presidents and legislators for funding, arms sales and political support in their relations with their Arab neighbors. This is why our advocating for pro-Israel politicians through our votes and AIPAC is so important.

3)      Supporting Aliyah- Despite the vibrancy of Jewish life in America, I believe wholeheartedly that the future of the Jewish people is in Israel. I can imagine that it is significantly harder when that equation involves grandchildren. However, in the long run, our great grandchildren are more likely to be committed Jews if they are in Israel

4)      Investing in Israel- Because Israel is so small, it needs to export to be able to have a prosperous economy. Thank G-d, Israel has weathered the last four years of the world's economic downturn much better than the US has. Whether through Israel Bonds, buying stock in Israeli companies, or funding projects that develop the country, we must invest our people's future, which is in Israel.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell  
Head of School

Coming Attractions

Wed. May 2

Boca Parent's Night Out

Fri. May 4
Last Day of Senior Classes

Sun. May 6
SAT @ WYHS

May 7-18
AP Exams

Thurs. May 10
Lag B'omer
Sephardi Gras

May 25-28
No School
Memorial Day Weekend / Shavuot

Tues. May 29
Boys Gemara Final
Girls Chumash Final

Good and Welfare 

Mazel Tov
Chaya (Berman
'06) and Jake Stone on their marriage

Seth
& Mrs. Esther Grossman
on the birth of a daughter

Condolences
Dr. Marla Reis (mother of Jeri ('13) and Brooke ('15) Veingrad) on the loss of her father

News Brief
Living the Dream
Mrs. Goldstein is Making Aliyah this Summer
Graphic By Eric Ditchek ('14)
Interview By Shoshana Linzer('12)

Mrs. Goldstein has worked at our school for many years as a child psychologist, helping a multitude of students work through a variety of hardships and issues. I had the privilege of sitting down and speaking with Mrs. Goldstein about her making Aliyah to Israel this summer.

Shoshana Linzer: What motivated your decision to make Aliyah?

Mrs. Goldstein: My husband and I have been thinking about Aliyah for a couple of years now. This past December was my grandson's Bar Mitzvah in Israel. This was our pilot trip, and while we were there we decided it was time for us to move. My daughter, son in law, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren all live there and are anxiously awaiting our move.

SL: What are some things you're excited to take part in upon arrival?

MG: I can't wait to learn the geography of the land, travel, tour and spend time with family. I think It's so important to get to know Israel as a country. I'm excited to catch up with my Judaic learning as well.

SL: What are you going to miss the most about WYHS?

MG: I will never forget the students and faculty. There is never a dull day here and WYHS is more than just a school, it's a family. So much happens every day. I have experienced so many milestones. I will definitely miss the family feeling.

SL: What is your best memory at WYHS?

MG: I have always loved graduation. It is different from any other school. It is a celebration of each and every graduate and highlights what WYHS is all about - making every student special.

Tribute to Mrs. Goldstein
Tribute to Mrs. Goldstein

Featurette
My Goodness! Gratitude!
WYHS is Blanketed in Reminders to be Grateful
Graphic By Jesse Slomowitz ('13)

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today.  Have you used one to say "thank you?"  ~William A. Ward

WYHS's latest trend: gratitude. Now a spotlighted focus, WYHS is taking even greater measures to emphasize the importance of being grateful. From teachers' wearing buttons to the student collage of thankfulness, the new WYHS gratitude campaign is up and running with no intention of slowing down! Thanks to Mrs. Roberts for heading this amazing program.
Featurette
Israeli Soldiers Remembered and Honored
Students Hear From Rabbi Goldberg and an Israeli Soldier
Graphic By Seth Fisher ('13)
Written By Jared Samilow ('14)

This week's Yom Hazikaron program was dedicated to the life and service of Roi Klein, a young Israeli army officer who was tragically killed in the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah War. The entire student body was shown a collage of photographs that told the story of the pain and suffering of the sixty-four year burden of tirelessly combating terrorists and enemies of the State of Israel.

An IDF air force officer specializing in unmanned aerial vehicles, delivered a poignant and inspiring speech which, in inescapable clarity, demonstrated the sanctity and value that Israel assigns to each member of its military- alive or deceased. To this end, the soldier related a personal story to us; how an IDF soldier was killed in action while his unit was retreating. When his unit learned of the man's absence, special reconnaissance equipment and personnel were reallocated from the front lines in order to undertake the treacherous mission of recovering the man's body so that he may be afforded a proper and dignified burial.

Rabbi Efrem Goldberg of the Boca Raton Synagogue then spoke about the life and heroic tale of Roi Klein-a major in the IDF who was killed in 2006 while fighting the forces of Hezbollah in Southern Lebanon. Roi Klein was a member of a unit assigned to capture the Lebanese town of Bint Jbeil; during the course of the battle, the young major purposely fell on a live grenade in order to preserve the lives of his fellow troops. Analysts say that had Roi not absorbed the force of the grenade's explosion, the shrapnel of the grenade likely would have caused grave bodily harm to all the others near the blast. Rabbi Goldberg challenged the students of WYHS to consider what they would do when confronted with such a perilous and trying situation, and to reflect on the relative ease and security of our daily lives, a luxury that many Israelis cannot enjoy.

The program concluded with the recitation of the Prayer for the Welfare of the State of Israel led by Executive Director Shimmie Kaminestky. The essence and purpose of the program is captured eloquently by Gadi Dreyfuss ('14), "The Yom Hazikaron program brought tears and hope to Jews around the world, many of whom have lost a brother, a sister, a cousin, a niece, a nephew, an aunt, an uncle, a father, a mother for the founding of Israel and for its right to exist as a nation and as a homeland for the Jewish people."  

Featurette
Yom Haatzmaut Celebration
Students Celebrate Israel's 64th Birthday  
Graphic By Amir Tsarfati ('13)

In honor of Yom Haatzaut WYHS learned about making Aliyah and the importance of Israel to Jews around the world. Click below to see some pictures from the chagiga and to hear students speak about what Israel means to them.
WYHS 5772 Yom Ha'atzmaot Student Responses
WYHS 5772 Yom Ha'atzmaot Student Responses

Ashreinu
Click on the image above to read this week's edition of Ashreinu.
The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Sarah Struhl
Editor-in-Chief
Ezra Kurtz
Senior Editor
Aaron Rose
Technical Editor
Shoshana Linzer
Creative Editor
Rashel Maikhor
Creative Editor
Jeffrey Herr