Friday, December 3, 2010
26 Kislev
Parshat Miketz
Candle Lighting at 5:10 PM

Chanukah, the Celebration of Chinuch

Chanukah and Chinuch (education). Hard to imagine what the two have in common, other than their hard-for-Americans-to-pronounce "ch".

Rashi, our 11th century commentary defines the word "chanichav" (B'reishit, 14:14) as habituating or preparing one for a designated purpose. Certainly the Temple, whose recapture and rededication are the miracles that inform this holiday, as well as our yeshivot, are dedicated to the purpose of raising man to a lofty intellectual, moral and spiritual sphere, whereby he can acknowledge and connect with G-d.

Upon further reflection, however, the deeper correlation is to be found in their shared etymology. The root "chen" is the inexplicable quality that is singular to each of us. On Chanukah we commemorate the notion of the sanctity of the individual, as it is that philosophy that the Greeks sought to extirpate.

One menorah for each home is sufficient but not the ideal (according to the Rambam). He interprets mehadrin min hamehadrin, the best of the best, as each child lighting his own menorah, in celebration of our belief that each child emits his own distinct light. So too, the objective of chinuch is to identify the chen, the inimitable x-factor within each student, to draw it out, develop and polish it.

Unearthing that special quality in each child requires its own individual shamesh-(facilitator). Our talented and devoted staff members, with their unlimited love and time, dedicate themselves daily to cultivating the chen in each student. With our chagigah, panapoluka, mesibas at the rebbes, kumzitses, battle of the bands, dancing, special shiurim, intensified drama practice, soccer and basketball at full throttle, Chanukah at WYHS is a time when each child can find the perfect activity and program to engage his singular gifts. It is a time when, like the lights of the menorah, all of our students shine.

Have a festive and happy Chanukah,

Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner
Principal
Coming Attractions

Mon Dec 6 
Chanukah Chagigah

Begins with Ma'ariv in Beit Midrash immediately after school

Tues- Wed Dec 7-8

Rosh Chodesh Tevet

Elongated periods

Tues Dec 7

Panopluka

During fifth and sixth period

Wed Dec 8
Extreme Teacher Challenge

Thurs Dec 9

Special Chanukah Breakfast

Sat Dec 11

Night Seder Shabbaton

In Boca Raton

Monday Dec 13 Junior Night Out

Miami Heat vs. New Orleans Hornets

Wed Dec 29

Seussical the Musical

7 PM @ West Boca High School

Mazel Tov
Dahlia (Gold '04) & Natan Goldstein on their marriage
Refuah Shleimah
Eliyahu Refael ben Zehava
psatNews Brief

Rabbi Visits Alumni in Holy Land

Scouts Yeshivot as Well

Written By Adam Poliak ('11)
Graphic By Jason Mark ('14)

Two weeks ago, Director of Judaic Studies Rabbi Benjy Horowitz traveled to Israel. The purpose of this weeklong trip was multifaceted. Firstly, Rabbi Horowitz visited over fifteen yeshivot in order to better understand the yeshivot that WYHS graduates will attend.

Secondly, Rabbi Horowitz met with many WYHS alumni who are currently learning in numerous midrashot (seminaries) and  yeshivot. Yeshivat Lev HaTorah, located in Ramat Beit Shemesh, hosted a Shabbaton for Rabbi Horowitz and the male WYHS graduates.

The trip was rewarding for Rabbi Horowitz, the alumni, and the class of 2011, since a majority of the class of 2011 plans to spend next year learning in Israel at many of the yeshivot Rabbi Horowitz visited.

News Brief

A Lecture on
 Lincoln's Legacy

APUSH Class Privy to Hear Influential Speaker

Written By Elliot Danis ('12)
Graphic By Jason Mark ('14)

Mr. Robert Taylor,  a major figure in the NSA, gave a fascinating Powerpoint presentation highlighting the leadership qualities of Abraham Lincoln and his momentous achievements during the Civil War. The presentation was informative and interesting as Mr. Taylor detailed what a truly great leader needs to do to run a country in a time of chaos and havoc.

The lecture was a Thanksgiving gift from Dr. Becker for the hard work and dedication her students put forth in her class.

Last Wednesday, Dr. Laura Becker's AP U.S. History class was honored to receive a presentation from Robert Taylor, the father of Noa Behar, our beloved administrative assistant.
chesedFeature Story
 Class of 2015 Arrives
Prospective Students and Their Parents
Attend Annual Open House 

Click here to watch the Open House video.

Written By Elana Kaminetsky ('12)

Graphic By Jonah Katz ('11)

In order to introduce the prospective class of 2015 to WYHS, this past Sunday WYHS ran its annual Open House for prospective students and parents. To begin the set-up, students came early to organize the fair and presentations. Moshe Kaminetsky ('11) explained, "I set up the sound system, projectors, and assisted with the band to help make the program possible and for the fair to run smoothly. The program went well and I think it was very exciting for the kids."

As the students and parents piled in, the student council and student ambassadors were there to greet them. Vice President of Tarah Affairs Elana Kaminetsky ('12) expressed, "I remember being at the Open House myself and seeing all the amazing opportunities the school provides. The student council was there to assist with the program as well as to be there for the prospective students to answer any question and display the warm environment at WYHS. It was nice to be a part of the program again as well as to help the prospective students as we were once helped."

The students heard from senior Randi Prince and Rabbi Perry Tirschwell, as well as Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner. Then both the parents and students watched an amazing movie, produced by Jeremy Hodkin ('09), to get a glimpse of "one day" in the life of WYHS. The students then had the privilege to actually experience a 'mini version' of WYHS by hearing from several faculty members. "It was exciting and challenging," exclaimed prospective student Yitzchak Kaminetsky regarding the classes. He further explained, "I like how the teachers are engaging and exciting, and how the extracurricular activities seemed amazing." His mother, a prospective parent, was amazed "to see the combination of high level learning in the class room as well as all of the amazing excitement that goes on throughout the year."

As the parents heard all about the technicalities of applying to WYHS, the students enjoyed a bazaar displaying the many extracurricular options provided at WYHS.
Executive Director Shimmie Kaminetsky reflected, "this year's Open House was the best ever.  The entire staff worked as a team under the direction of our Admissions Director, Mrs. Melissa Pereira, moving the participants from location to location and exposing them to all of the wonderful aspects of WYHS.  The entire program, from the video to the curriculum presentations to the extra-curricular fair was very well received."

Feature Story
 Par Three
Golf Tournament Continues Past Success 

Written By
Shimmie Kaminetsky, Executive Director
Graphic By Joshua Firestone ('13)

The Weinbaum Yeshiva High School third annual golf tournament took place on Monday, November 22 at the exclusive Grande Oaks Golf Course in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The event was a great success.

Fifty golfers from the tri-county area enjoyed an incredible day of golf, great food and great company.  In addition to enjoying a delicious lunch and dinner and 18 holes of golf, all golfers were able to participate in several competitions including a putting contest, longest drive and closest to the pin competitions.

Thank you to our tournament committee Phil Baratz, Gary Krasna and Ari Pearl and to our dedicated volunteers who sat at the various par three holes throughout the day.  A very special thank you to our tournament sponsors as well as our raffle prize sponsors for their generosity and for helping make this a successful fundraiser for the school.  Thanks as well to Dr. Sam & Arlene Lasko of Catering by Lasko for catering the event.

Congratulations to our four winning teams:
First Place Gross - Phil Baratz, Gary Rosenbaum, Martin Bedick & Bobby Bode
Second Place Gross - Alan Fisher, Bobby Impaglia & Ben Henschel
First Place Net - Jon Lasko, Yitz Stern, Jason Burstein & Brett Zuckerman
Second Place Net - Robert Singer, Harold Siegel, Jeff Levinson & Paul Reisel

As we look toward our 4th annual golf tournament tentatively scheduled for Monday, November 21, 2011, some men and women have expressed interest in having a tennis tournament on the same day next year in a nearby location with a joint lunch at the beginning and dinner at the end.  If you are interested in working on that aspect or have any other ideas to make this event an even greater success in the future, please email me at
msk@wyhs.net.

Click here to view the Golf Tournament slideshow
Thanksgiving Weekend

The Venn diagram below displays how students spent their Thanksgiving vacation

Graphic By Aaron Rose ('13)
*According to our poll, ten people did not do anything to celebrate Thanksgiving . The  Highlites assumes they are Canadian.

Sports

Click on the image above to view the answers

Click here to view the Girl's Soccer slideshow

Concept by Leora Litwin ('12)
Graphic by Andy Agus ('13)

Get to know your 2010 Girls Soccer Team!

Similar to my sister that has been singing for a while, I, too, have been playing
soccer for quite some time (4 years to be exact). On the field I stick to being
the forward, but there's no way I would be able to play in any game without my treasured cleats. It might be the blond hair connection, I'm not quite sure, but my favorite TV character is without a doubt Serena Vanderwoodsen. I watch her show at night with my 3 dogs around me.
I started playing soccer when I was 6. Most people are able to recognize me by knee brace as I'm running around on the field as the forward or center-
midfielder. Unfortunately, there are no others in the school that share my last
name, and I have no pets, but people do tend to tell me that I resemble Hayley
James Scott from One Tree Hill.
Have you ever met anyone that owns a dog and 9 chickens? Well, if you
haven't, you have now. Some people find it bit unordinary, but then I tell them that I love the show House and everything suddenly seems to go back to
normal. My soccer career as left defense began in middle school, and I have
continued with it until this very day. I can be easily spotted on the field because of the thick lines painted under my eyes.
WYHS soccer has been a part of my afterschool life since my sophomore year.
It's really so enjoyable to have my "sister" G-Unit with me at every game; she always cheers me on yelling, "Go Sweeper!" My favorite TV character is
Mercedes from Glee - she should be everyone's favorite character in my
opinion. And pets?...well I'm allergic to EVERYTHING so having anything of that sort in my house would be problematic.

chesedInterview Dept.
Weekly Webcast Proves
To Be A Big Hit
Manages to Avoid Fine from NFL Commisioner

Written By Darren Jacoby ('13)

Click on the image above to view Jake's webcast.

WYHS prides itself on its goal to inspire and challenge all students who walk through its doors. Students are encouraged to pursue their interests in every possible way and to constantly challenge themselves to reach a higher level. However, some students, such as junior Jake Siegel, come to WYHS already inspired, and pursuing challenges. Jake is a football fan in the highest sense of the word and hosts a weekly newscast online. I was privileged to ask Jake a few questions about his nationally acclaimed newscast.

Darren Jacoby: How did you start making your online podcasts?
Jake Siegel: Well I was fortunate that the producer of GB4K sports, Scott McGinnis, allowed me to cover the NFL for his website, Global Broadcast 4 Kids.

DJ: What was your original inspiration for getting into NFL reporting?
JS: I originally did this because I believe I know that NFL just as well, if not better than, a majority of the kids my age and I truly love the game. I don't know what I'd do without it. I got into the GB4K podcasts as the first step towards making NFL reporting a part of my life.

DJ: So you plan to report on the NFL in the future?
JS: I do plan to have a future in reporting and covering the NFL at all angles. It has been a huge dream of mine since I was 9 years old, and I'm using the GB4K broadcast as a gateway to a future in the NFL.
Where Are They Now?
 Frohlinger Flies High
  Former Student Soars
Through the Skies

Written By Andrew Wald ('12)
Graphic By Josh Firestone ('13)

At age 26, Jordan Frohlinger's life is pretty exciting. After attending WYHS, Jordan became the only WYHS student to attend Embrey-Riddle Aeronautical University, majoring in aviation business and minoring in piloting.

Using what he studied, Jordan, who is currently living in New York, became a pilot and the manager of flight operations analysis for Atlas Air and Polar Cargo.  In addition to occasionally flying, he works on ways to save fuel, keeping the world cleaner and people happier.

Jordan fervently believes WYHS prepared him to be an observant Jew in the non-Jewish world, while also encouraging him to pursue his career. In addition, Jordan has succeeded in making a difference in the community. Besides being the treasurer of the Jewish Club in college, Jordan is also an active NCSY advisor to teenagers.

Student Publications

Click on the image above to view this weeks edition of Ashreinu

Click on the image above to view the Chanukah edition of The Moed

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Ezra Kurtz
Editor in Chief

Justin Stauber
Technical Editor

Sarah Struhl
Creative Editor

David Hopen
English Editor