Friday, April 30, 2010
31th Day of the Omer
Parshat Emor
Candle Lighting at 7:34 PM

Click on the images above to jump to the corresponding article
To Criticize or
To Complement
?

One of the greatest challenges for parents and teachers is inspiring our children to meet high standards, while still making them feel that we love and accept them if they don't make the mark. This is true for religious goals, academic objectives and behavioral expectations.

In general, G-d wires children to want to please the adults in their lives.Everyone wants to have a healthy self image, and the approval of our role models is very important. This truism is very obvious in elementary school. As children struggle to individuate from their parents, it becomes less obvious, but no less true.

Parents and teachers have a superhuman mission.  

On one hand, a parent or a teacher who glosses over any and all shortcomings, does a child a tremendous disservice. Everyone needs constructive criticism to grow. If every child gets an "A" every time, there is no striving for excellence and bettering oneself. In addition, a child that is brought up to think that he or she can do nothing wrong, runs the risk of becoming self-centered.

On the other hand, children who feel that their parents and teachers did not sufficiently approve of them can spend much of their adult life subconsciously driven to prove them wrong.These people may amass great personal and professional success, but are unhappy at the core. This is the stuff that religious rebellions and therapist's sessions are made of.

Human nature is that people are much quicker to criticize than they are to complement. Parents and teachers need to put great energy into expressing their love for the young people in their charge. Catching a child when they are doing good is crucial.

However, that cannot mean that a child never feels that they have disappointed the adults in their lives.

To Criticize or to Complement? Parents and teachers are obligated to do both. Finding the balance between the two is a truly difficult task with which we all struggle.   

Yeshiva Highliteswill appear next on Friday, May 14. 

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell
Head of School

Good & Welfare
Mazel Tov!
Erika Stiel ('04) on her engagement to Zazy Rothschild of Baltimore

Condolences
Ephraim Sobol on the loss of his brother Jay

Refuah Shleima
Simcha Chaya bat Luna

Coming Attractions
May 4-13
AP Exams
(no Yeshiva Highlites 5/
7)

May 12
Yom Yerushalayim
Student Leadership Awards Banquet

Shabbat May 14-15
Freshman Shabbaton

Mon May 24
Annual Dinner

Wed May 26
Sports Banquet

Fri May 28
Chesed Hours Due
Click here to download the community service form

Wed June 2
Graduation
Journal Dinner Tribute Committee
in formation

Anonymous
Prosper & Pamela Abitbol
Jay & Ellen Adler
Phil & Lisa Baratz
Menachem & Alyssa Baumgarten
Al & Evelyn Begas
Marc & Lori Ben-Ezra
Billy & Batzi Berman
Howard & Carol Bienenfeld
Michael & Darlene Bokor
Steve & Yael Charlap
Michael & Sheryl Dennis
David & Sheri Dennis
Ben J. & Dorit Genet
David & Monica Genet
Charles & Simone Griff
Stanley & Ana Haar
Jeffrey & Jodi Harris
Samuel & Anita Heering
Moshe & Shari Hirth

Merv & Elaine Jacobs

Steven & Sarah Jacoby
Bernie & Melanie Kaminetsky
David & Sharona Kay
Gary & Judi Krasna
Harold & lori Landa
Sam & Arlene Lasko
Robert & Linda Levy
Dov & Debbie Linzer
Scott & Debra Michaud
David & Joyce Muller

Bruce & Cindy Nimhauser
Jose & Fay Poliak

Gene & Georgina Rice

Michael & Jill Rose
Isaac & Eugenia Rosen
Stuart & Hindy Rubin
Benjamin & Diane Saketkhou
Bennett & Chani Salamon
Barry & Dana Schechter
Zorik & Ellen Spektor
Marshall & Sharon Stauber
Ted & Linda Struhl

Norman & Estelle Wald

Join the Tribute Committee

Download the Ad Blank

Joseph Reunites!
Drama Department's Joseph Cast Party

By Rashel Maikhor ('12)

STAFF WRITER

"Go Go Go Joseph" was the song playing in everybody's mind after phenomenal play by the WYHS Drama Department, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. This past Sunday, the cast and tech crew celebrated the successful play with an awesome Drama party at  senior Esther Amram's house. At the party, everyone was treated to a video of the play, as well as a special senior montage made by Mrs. Elizabeth Saddler herself.

Afterwards, Mrs. Saddler gave out awards, reflected on this wonderful experience, and said goodbye to the seniors: actresses Esther Amram, Aliza Friedman, Taryn Katz, Debbie Epstein, Daniella Lieberman, Sarah Shabtai, and Tamar Grunhaus,  stage manager Shira Mayersdrof, and techies Rachel Danis, Devorah Gutman, and Jackie Berger.

What a great way to celebrate the success of a great play! 

News Brief
Israel on our Minds
WYHS Students attend
AIPAC Event
aipac

By Ezra Kurtz ('12)
STAFF WRITER

This past Tuesday, select members of our school's AIPAC committee were privileged to attend a phenomenal speech by Dr. Daniel Gordis. Dr. Gordis, a contributor to the New York Times, the Jerusalem Post and author of Saving Israel: How the Jewish People Can Win a War That May Never End, enthralled the audience with his outlook on the international campaign to de-legitimize the State of Israel. He began by emphasizing that as recently as last month, anti-Israel and anti-Semitic protests had been held in so called Western democracies such as Spain, Germany and England. Whereas countries such as these are clearly unwilling to recognize the monstrosities being committed by radical Islamic terrorist groups, Israel is becoming politically alienated by refusing to capitulate to international demands to remain passive in the face of these threats, such as a nuclear Iran.

Dr. Gordis cautiously spoke of the increasingly endangered promise of Zionism; the promise that Jews will always have a safe haven, should the need arise. However, he warned that should Iran acquire nuclear capabilities, this guarantee will become merely another outdated philosophy. Dr. Gordis concluded his remarks with an ominous challenge-- to do whatever we can to ensure Israel's continued existence, because the rest of the world certainly won't.

Chazak Chazak V'nitchazek
Two Students Complete Masechet Horayot

siyum
Click on the image above to watch a recap of the siyum

Over thirty students and Rebbeim packed into the Kaminetsky home this past Wednesday night in honor of Moshe Kaminetsky ('11) and Arie Hizkiya's ('11) completion of Masechet Horayot during their weekly chavruta at Night Seder.  The dedicated duo spoke about the meaning of the masechta in its entirety, read the concluding lines of the Gemara, and partook in a scrumptious barbecue seudat mitzvahYasher koach to Arie and Moshe on their devotion to learning Torah lishmah and on their impressive feat of completing a whole masechta.   

By Arie Hizkiya ('11)
 NIGHT SEDER PARTICIPANT

At the beginning of this year, Moshe Kaminetsky ('11) and myself set out with the goal of of finishing an entire albeit small mesechta of Gemara.

I felt that our endeavor was really appropriate for Night Seder because it meant that every week we knew what and with whom we were learning and were able to resume our study right away. I think that was the secret to out success--setting a plan and adhering to it. When we finished I felt proud that we had achieved our actual goal.

I hope this siyum is the first of many for Night Seder participants and will inspire others as well as myself to reach for new heights in their Torah study and form higher aspirations.

I would be remiss if I did not thank the entire Rabbinic staff. Over the course of the year, Moshe and I have required the assistance of all of them, and they have always willingly helped us.  I would just like to express my gratitude to all of the rabbis that give up their own free time in order to enhance their students' learning.

bloodFeaturette

The AP Palette

It's that time again--AP Season!  With Baron's, Princeton Reviews, and SparkCharts stacked up on their desks, Advance Placement students are assiduously reviewing a year's worth of college-level classwork and lessons on subjects ranging from Calculus to Literature in preparation for the intimidating AP Exams next week.  For those wondering what exactly the AP students have been doing lately, here's an explanation, cookbook style:

ap

bloodBreaking News

On Their Own Merit
Six Juniors Receive National Merit Honor

Yasher koach
!

An elated Rabbi Tirschwell and
a delighted Mrs. Kanner informed six Juniors last Friday that they have qualified for the National Merits Scholarship Program based on impressive PSAT performance. 

Last October, WYHS underclassmen practiced standardized test-taking skills  with the PSAT (the Preliminary SAT);  the 11th grade class as a whole performed well above average, with  Juniors
(from L to R) Joshua Stadlan, Justin Stauber, Randi Prince, Shlomit Heering, Hadassah Tirschwell, and Shalva Ginsparg attaining exceptionally high scores on all three sections of the test-- Critical Reading, Mathematics, and Writing. 

Never before have so many WYHS students qualified for the program.  The statistics are astounding; about twelve percent of the WYHS Junior class received the honor, a recognition given to only three percent of high school Juniors nationwide who have taken PSAT.

blood

By Andrew Wald ('12
)

STAFF INTERVIEWER

Introducing La Revista Cultural- the WYHS Spanish cultural magazine, a stunning publication of intriguing articles and colorful pictures edited and organized by senior Sharon Cohen ('10).

Sharon put her fluency in Spanish to good use as the editor the Spanish magazine.  After being chosen for the position, Sharon spent much of her free time with Spanish teacher Mrs. Vivian Kenstenbaum producing this wonderful cultural publication.  I had the privilege to speak to Sharon about her experiences.  

Andrew Wald: What is the Spanish magazine?
Sharon Cohen: The Spanish Magazine (Revista Cultural) is designed to enlighten and inform as well as create a fun way to learn about the different Spanish cultures in the various countries.  Mrs. Kestenbaum has students read it in her Spanish classes, using it as a teaching method. 

AW: How much time did you spend on it?
SC: It took about five to six months to finish the magazine, but it would have probably taken double the amount of time without all the Spanish articles that the students provided.  They did a great job and learned a lot while volunteering to write articles for the magazine. 

AW: What was your favorite moment in making the magazine?
SC: I was watching the news one night and I saw a clip of different Spanish music artists performing in the White house this past October.  As I continued watching, I realized that in Honor of Spanish Heritage month, Barack Obama hosted a party, inviting all the famous Spanish artists to perform, eat, and dance in the White House. Who knew Obama had some Spanish flavor in him?  This immediately made me realize that it would be a great idea to write about Spanish celebrities, which we eventually did. 

bloodIn Focus

Chats with the Rabbi
Philosophical Discussions With Rabbi Goldberg
reg
By Matthew Wolkowicz ('12)
Over the past few months, the upperclassmen Gemara shiurim were privileged to have Rabbi Efrem Goldberg, Marah D`Atrah of BRS, impart his wisdom on unique philosophical and contemporary Jewish issues. Rabbi Goldberg led an informal discussion on Fridays, in which students were encouraged to ask questions pertaining to any issue they may have in Judaism in addition to voicing their opinions on Rabbi Goldberg's prepared topics. I spoke with Rabbi Goldberg about this unique program.

Matthew Wolkowicz: Where did the inspiration for this program come from?
Rabbi Efrem Goldberg: There was an article in the New York Times about Rabbi Lookstein and how for decades he has taught Ramaz students subjects that don't come usually up in a classic Yeshiva day school curriculum.  I was motivated by the article and when I approached Rabbi Tirschwell he thought the timing was perfect to introduce such discussions.

MW: Do you believe that this program is important to continue and possibly advance in future years? Why?
REG: It is absolutely critical to continue this program.  When I reflect back on my excellent twelve years of formal Jewish education, I can identify tremendous gaps where subjects and ideas that were taken for granted were not discussed or taught.  In retrospect, these subjects are often the very foundation upon which the rest of the Torah curriculum rests and therefore they are critical to discuss and reinforce.

MW: Do you think this idea will continue after this school year ends?
REG: I definitely hope so, but it's up to my boss Rabbi Tirschwell!

MW: What are some of the topics you discussed about with this class?
REG: We addressed many issues such as why G-d created the world, free will versus determinism, and the Torah's view on homosexuality.

MW: What are the general student reactions to these topics?
REG: It is rewarding to see students passionately engaged in debating these issues.  Clearly the students want to talk about and clarify these important subjects

MW:  What do you hope to leave the students with by enacting this program?
REG: My goal is to impress upon the boys that there is no question off limits, that there is no issue or question of faith that is inappropriate to ask. I wish to show them that the Torah always has meaningful and compelling ways of addressing contemporary questions and challenges.

bloodTribute

Farewell, Senior Class
Thank You to the Senior Highlites Members

This Friday was a sentimental day for the seniors: the end of their last regular week of high school
.  Many 12th graders have left a lasting impact upon the WYHS family.  In particular, the seniors on the Highlites staff have left an indelible mark on WYHS quite literally, as the fruits of their labor grace the Highlites Archives on the school's website (trip down memory lane, anyone?).

On behalf of the entire Highlites staff, I would like to express our gratitude to the "seasoned veterans" --the "Highlites extraordinaires"--for their ineffable contributions to the Yeshiva Highlites over the years.  With their vision, creativity, dedication, skill, and commitment to excellence, they have pioneered this publication from a email letter with photos to a comprehensive, "edgy,"  and aesthetically-pleasing e-newspaper.  Seniors (from L to R) David Petrover, Ilana Ben-Ezra, Michael Feit, LeeLee Borzak, and David Spektor will be greatly missed here at WYHS.

We wish them only success as they sail the vast ocean of bigger and better things.

Spirituality  D'var Torah

Back to the Future:
Pesach Sheini

By David Spektor  ('10)

Pesach Sheni, the "second" Pesach, is on the 14th day of Iyar and this year fell out on this past Wednesday. Many often ask, what is the purpose of Pesach Sheini? Didn't we reach our maximum matzah capacity a month ago?   First, it is necessary to understand the holiday's backgound. In the desert, one who was ritually unclean, ta'mei, was not allowed to bring or partake in the Korban Pesach. In Bamidbar (9:6-8), we find that a group of people approached Moshe and Aharon at the time the first offering was brought after the Exodus.  Because they were ritually unclean at the time due to carrying Yosef's bones back to Israel, they were not able to bring the offering. This group asked Moshe and Aharon why they were unable to bring the offering with the rest of Israel. The response from Moshe was " Stand and hear what Hashem has commanded you." Then, the Torah relates the laws concerning Pesach Sheni, an opportunity for all those who missed the Korban Pesach in the proper time through no fault of their own to bring this offering and fulfill this special mitzvah.

Even though we no longer bring korbanot today, there is still significance to Pesach Sheini.  The sixth Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak Schneersohn, said that from this second Pesach, we learn that it is never too late to rectify past mistakes, be it a life full of negative deeds or one simple error. Pesach Sheini thus represents the power of teshuvah -- the power to return. Teshuvah is commonly translated as repentance, but it is much more than achieving forgiveness for past sins. It is, in essence, the power to go back in time and redefine the past.

Shabbat Shalom!

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Joshua Stadlan ('11)
Editor in Chief
LeeLee Borzak ('10)
Senior Editor & Sports Liaison

David Spektor ('10)
Head of Programming
Michael Feit ('10)
Head of Photo Editing
Paul Hess ('11)
Creative Editor
Andy Agus ('13)
Graphic Designer
Amir Tsarfati ('13)
Photographer & Graphic Designer
Justin Stauber ('11)
Graphic Designer

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)
Chief of Staff
David Petrover ('10)
Technical Editor
Jonah Katz ('11)
Graphic Designer
Binyamin Feit ('12)
Video Engineer
Aaron Rose ('13)
Graphic Designer
Jeffrey Herr ('13)
Programmer
Dani Louis ('12)
Photographer

Staff Writers

Simcha Adelman ('12)
     David Hopen ('12)
     Elana Kaminetsky ('12)         
     Ezra Kurtz ('12)
      Jacob Levenson ('11)
      Leora Litwin ('12)

Rashel Maikhor ('12)
Adam Poliak ('11)
Sarah Struhl ('12)
Andrew Wald ('12)
Mathew Wolkowicz ('12)

Mrs. Claudia Cohen   
Faculty Advisor
Rabbi Allan Houben    Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz           Proofreader

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.
Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433