Friday, April 23, 2010
24th Day of the Omer
Parshat Achrei Mot-Kedoshim
Candle Lighting at 7:30 PM

Click on the images above to jump to the corresponding article
What's For Dinner
on Monday May 12?

The WYHS Annual Journal Dinner
will take place on Monday evening, May 24, 2010 at B'nai Torah Congregation in Boca Raton. The guests of honor this year will be Dr. Sam and Arlene Lasko and Dr. Zorik and Ellen Spektor. The faculty award will be presented to Mrs. Heather Andron.

Dr. Sam and Arlene Lasko hosted one of the first meetings in Hollywood to discuss the concept of a Yeshiva High School in South Florida several years before WYHS opened.  Sam has served as WYHS' President for six years and in that capacity has been involved with all aspects of the school and witnessed the school's exponential growth.  Arlene has served on several school committees and has worked tirelessly on behalf of school dinners and other events.

Dr. Zorik and Ellen Spektor are members of WYHS' Keter Society and have resided in Boca Raton for 15 years.  Zorik has served on WYHS' Executive Board for three years and is a highly respected Pediatric ENT.  Ellen served on the board of Hillel Day School for several years and both Zorik and Ellen were very involved in The Community Kollel in Boca Raton for many years.

Mrs. Heather Andron has left an indelible mark on WYHS in her tenure as founding Chesed, Israel and Tzedakah Coordinator. Organizing a school-wide Chesed Day, serving as faculty advisor for seven student committees, and matching students with community service opportunities are amongst her most memorable contributions. Heather has served as our Press Coordinator, founding Girls JV Basketball Coach and Mrs. Kanner's assistant.  Heather will be making Aliyah to Israel this coming summer with her family.

As this is our major fundraising event of the year, I encourage all of you to participate by either placing an ad in the journal and/or attending the dinner.  I would like to thank those families listed below who have already generously agreed to join our Tribute Committee.  Please consider joining this group at the minimum donation level of $1,800 which includes two tickets to the dinner and a full-page ad in a special section of the journal.

Please feel free to contact me or any of our chair people whose names are listed on the ad blank if you need further information.

Shabbat Shalom,

Mr. Shimmie Kaminetsky
Executive Director

Good & Welfare
Mazel Tov!
Aryeh Genet ('08) on completing his service in the IDF
Devora Greer ('06) on her engagement to Rabbi Simcha Shabtai

Refuah Shleima
Simcha Chaya bat Luna

Coming Attractions
May 4-13
AP Exams

May 12
Yom Yerushalayim
Student Leadership Awards Banquet

Shabbat May 14-15
Freshman Shabbaton

Mon May 24
Annual Dinner

Wed May 26
Sports Banquet

Wed June 2
Graduation
Journal Dinner Tribute Committee
in formation

Anonymous
Prosper & Pamela Abitbol
Jay & Ellen Adler
Phil & Lisa Baratz
Menachem & Alyssa Baumgarten
Al & Evelyn Begas
Marc & Lori Ben-Ezra
Billy & Batzi Berman
Howard & Carol Bienenfeld
Michael & Darlene Bokor
Steve & Yael Charlap
David & Sheri Dennis
Ben J. & Dorit Genet
David & Monica Genet
Charles & Simone Griff
Stanley & Ana Haar
Jeffrey & Jodi Harris
Samuel & Anita Heering
Moshe & Shari Hirth
Steven & Sarah Jacoby
Bernie & Melanie Kaminetsky
David & Sharona Kay
Gary & Judi Krasna
Sam & Arlene Lasko
Robert & Linda Levy
Bruce & Cindy Nimhauser
Jose & Fay Poliak
Michael & Jill Rose
Isaac & Eugenia Rosen
Stuart & Hindy Rubin
Benjamin & Diane Saketkhou
Bennett & Chani Salamon
Barry & Dana Schechter
Zorik & Ellen Spektor
Marshall & Sharon Stauber
Ted & Linda Struhl

Join the Tribute Committee

Download the Ad Blank

A Day of Remembrance
Alumna's Yom HaZikaron
experience at WYHS & Israel

While WYHS students remembered the fallen Israeli soldiers through their own Yom HaZikaron program,   WYHS Alumni in Israel paid their respects to our heroes alongside the citizens of Israel.  Alumna Tamar Ruben's ('09) Yom HaZikaron experience was especially meaningful, as she visited the grave of IDF hero Michael Levin z"l on Har Herzl with fellow alumni Doron David ('09), Dani Matilsky ('09), Aryeh Genet ('08), Brandon Gelbart ('08), and thousands of others.  Last year, WYHS students watched a powerful tribute to Michael Levin and were inspired by his remarkable love and devotion to the Jewish People. Below, Tamar Ruben recounts the profound impact of her past two Yom HaZikaron experiences.

Yom HaZikaron 2010
at Michael Levin's Graveside

By Tamar Ruben ('09)

WYHS ALUMNA

"Last year I attended one of the most moving programs I had ever been to at WYHS.  The students  sat in an eerie silence as we watched "A Hero in Heaven," a forty- five minute video about the short life of Michael Levin.  He died in combat at the young age of twenty- two.

His story has stuck with me. I  think about him often. One of my goals for this year in Israel was to go to the cemetery on Har Herzl to visit Michael's grave. Today I achieved my goal,  one year to the date that I was first introduced to Michael Levin.

When I entered the cemetery at 10 AM, it was jam packed. Soldiers and volunteers everywhere were handing out flowers, books of tehillim, yizkor stickers, etc. so that no grave would go uncovered.  I walked over to the map to find my destination; D6- the section where Michael Levin's body lies, where all his friends, family, and fellow Jews would be on this day.

All day I had been feeling as if I was in mourning, and I was preparing to share that with my brothers and sisters. However,  the feeling in the air was not that at all.  People smiled as they shared stories about their fallen loved ones, celebrating their lives.

At 11 AM, the moment the siren went off, the entire country stopped everything they were doing to stand together as one to commemorate our fallen  brothers and sisters.

As I and many of my classmates from high school sang Hatikvah at the graveside,  I reflected on the beauty that can come out of a death.

Michael Levin's death affected the lives of thousands of people. Here they all were brought together, supporting each other. Each grave paradoxically  replenishes thousands of souls. Michael Levin changed my life forever. 

Michael Levin is remembered for his contagious smile that would light up a room, and I know he  would have wanted everyone there to be smiling with him. 

You can imagine my surprise when Michael's roommate and best friend who spoke at the cemetery turned out to be an acquaintance of mine who I have met several times this year in Israel!

That showed me that there are not six degrees of separation between Jews. We are all brothers and sisters, and we are all connected directly. This put a huge smile on my face (beneath my tears) which is exactly the inspiration Michael has given me- to remember to keep smiling, no matter what I'm going through, because Hashem will make beauty come out of every tragedy."

It's That Easy Being Green
WYHS "Wakes Up"
on Earth Day
earth
By David Hopen ('12)
STAFF WRITER

During lunch this past Thursday, the WakeUp Committee displayed its informative Earth Day exhibit to the students, looking to teach students ways to improve our environment. Led by WakeUp Committee Head Arie Grunberg ('10), members created posters and even baked cakes to teach the importance of preserving our natural world. Each committee member was assigned a different topic to research and subsequently spoke to the students  about how they could adapt eco-friendly habits.

Some fascinatingly innovative tips from the WakeUp Committee on saving the planet by being conscientious about some daily tasks:
  • Recycle, recycle, recycle! Plastic, aluminum, paper and batteries are all recyclable materials.
  • Use both sides of a paper when photocopying, and save the scrap paper for notes
  •  Tinfoil beats plastic.
  • Turn off the faucet while you are brushing your teeth.
  • Avoid paper grocery bags; bring your reusable ones to the store.
Sports HQ
Storm Season Summary

Boys Baseball Season Wrap-Up

By Andrew Wald ('12)
STAFF WRITER

This past WYHS boys baseball season was definitely one to remember. Despite compiling only two wins and a tie under Coach Brian Domenico, everyone on the team made drastic improvements and had a great time. 

The captains, Lior Goldstein ('10) and Matthew Jacoby ('11), displayed incredible consistency and were major factors in almost every game. The rest of the team also made solid contributions with numbers of breathtaking defensive plays and numerous clutch hits. 

The highlight of the season was a decisive victory against rival Hebrew Academy by a score of 8-5. While the talent and leadership of the grizzled veterans will be missed, the Storm baseball team can hardly wait to get back on the diamond next year.

..Therefore
I . A . M .

Fallen Heroes
WYHS's Powerful Yom HaZikaron Program

haz

By Rashel Maikhor ('12)

STAFF WRITER

A somber assembly commemorating fallen Israeli soldiers for Yom HaZikaron was highlighted by a showing of Operation Thunderbolt. This movie depicted the real life heroism of Israeli soldier Yonatan Netanyahu during an operation to rescue Israeli citizens from an airplane hijacked by terrorists. While Yonatan's unit was able to liberate every hostage, Yonatan unfortunately was unable to rejoin them in the holy land, as he gave his life for the mission. The program also consisted of a ceremony memorializing each Israeli war and a moment of remembrance, concluding with the piercing siren heard throughout Israel on Yom HaZikaron.

Here are what some of the students had to say about the program:

"After seeing the movie I truly appreciate Israeli heroism. I now walk through life with a new perspective on the dangers our soldiers face every day." -- Andy Agus ('13)

"It was important for me to see what really happened in the story of Yonatan Netanyahu. I am now able to deeply appreciate his courageous actions." -- Seth Fisher ('13)

"The movie was powerful and inspiring. It strengthened my connection to Israel and I feel proud to be a part of this nation." -- Elana Kaminestky ('12)

"The film strengthened my gratitude towards the chayalimand made me want to make aliyah." -- Sara Tepper ('11)

"The program emphasized the importance of Israel being there for the Jewish people, as well as how HaShem is always on our side." -- Arie Hizkiya ('11)

"The program helped me see the devotion of our chayalim to the protection of Israel. The siren truly moved my heart and helped me connect to the program even more." -- Daniella Litwin ('10)

bloodFeature Story

Happy 62nd Birthday, Israel

WYHS Participates in Communal Celebration

haat

By Sarah Struhl ('12)
STAFF WRITER

To celebrate 62 years of independence for the State of Israel, this past Tuesday WYHS joined Hillel Day School, Torah Academy, and Donna Klein Jewish Academy in a display of love and devotion toward our Jewish homeland.

To begin a day of true simcha, all schools joined for an inspirational davening, followed by an even more moving Hallel. The ruach in the room was like no other and it was certainly clear that everyone was there for one communal purpose--to rejoice over the country that we are so blessed to have.  

After much vigorous dancing, Rabbi Adam Englander, middle school principal of Hillel Day School, and Rabbi Yaakov Green from Donna Klein addressed the students. Both spoke, with true passion, of the meaning of the state of Israel and the development of our Jewish identities. All of the poignant speeches strongly expounded on the fact that Israel is not only an amazing place to visit, but also that it is a land of tremendous history which shall never be forgotten. The speeches concluded with a powerful rendition of Hatikvah by all assembled and a lively Israeli flag presentation. After a tremendous blow of the shofar by Ari Shachter ('10), the marching began.

To conclude the festivities, all schools marched proudly, Israeli flags in hand, around the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County campus. All students enjoyed the day and everyone certainly walked away with a true appreciation for our well-deserved and passionately-loved homeland, Israel.

bloodIn Focus

Health for Heroes
WYHS Senior's Organization for Veterans

briana
By Andrew Wald ('12)
WYHS senior Briana Mizrahi is making a difference.

I spoke to Briana about her unbelievable initiative in forming Health for Heroes. 

AW: What exactly is Health for Heroes?
BM:It is a non-profit organization that provides psychiatric health care to veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) free of charge.

AW: What inspired you to start this wonderful organization?
BM:Between school and my parents, I've learned about veterans and the tremendous sacrifice they have made to secure our freedom and safety. However, my biggest inspiration for starting Health for Heroes was our history teacher, Mr. Brian Carlson. Hearing his horrific war-stories and forming a close relationship with him, I felt even more of a duty to help veterans readjust to civilian life, which is often extremely challenging. I thought it was sad that so many who served have had such a hard time returning to everyday life because they cannot afford help for their PTSD. I knew I could help. 

AW: How did you manage to set-up Health for Heroes?
BM:I met some people who were really interested in the idea and they set me up with lawyers who dealt with the legal issues. I then spoke at opening day of the State Senate to a very pleased audience. We then finalized the program, and it's currently up and running.

AW: How has the organization been doing?
BM: Great! At the moment, we have 35-40 veterans being treated by 8-10 doctors and we're hoping to expand. 

AW:What do you think your peers can learn from your success in forming this organization?
BM: If you find a problem in society, simply go ahead and try to fix it; there's nothing to lose, only to gain. Just because you're in high school doesn't mean your ideas won't be taken seriously. You really can make a difference in people's lives, and it will make all the difference in yours, too. 

To donate to Health for Heroes, please contact Briana.

musicMusic
Jewish Music
Pick of the Week
By Zack Raab ('10)
MUSIC CORRESPONDENT

My favorite songs on this album are:
One Day
Arim Roshi
Ma Avarechavo

Click on the image above to listen to album samples.

picofweekWYHS Culture Poetry & Prose

The following is an excerpt from the past edition of the Brainstorm, WYHS's highly-acclaimed arts and opinion magazine. 

Read the full publication
here.

Idioms
are not for Idiots

Breaking Down a Language

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

Although we wouldn't dare use them in any of our English essays, idioms exist everywhere outside the world of academia. Be it a reference to domesticated pets falling from the sky in the event of a rainstorm or two friends who are as close as two certain legumes in a pod, idioms are all around us. While we have grown up both hearing them and using them, these curious-alright, downright ridiculous-phrases riddle our daily conversations, and confuse non-Americans everywhere.

According to www.phrases.org, most idioms or phrases originate from one of the following three sources: William Shakespeare, sailors at sea, or the Bible. Apparently when Shakespeare wasn't writing about love-struck yet ill-fated teenagers or the assassination of a Roman dictator (well, technically when he was writing about those), Billy S. was creating phrases such as: "a sorry sight," "dead as a doornail," "fair play," "fight fire with fire," "good riddance," "green eyed monster," "vanish into thin air," and "in a pickle." While his contributions to the world of literature and drama aren't exactly chopped liver, his contributions to the world of idioms are certainly underrated.. Without his phrases, Green Day would never have composed such a classic hit (I'm referencing "Good Riddance," for those of you who aren't paying attention) and expressing that we are in a quandary or a difficult situation would be a lot less fun.

Idioms that we usually associate with pirates really originate from sailors, such as "walk the plank" and "shiver me timbers." Seriously, try and imitate any pirate without using those idioms and you just won't be able to do it. The Bible has contributed phrases such as "a man after his own heart," "at his wits end," "bite the dust," "sour grapes," and "the writing is on the wall." If the Bible's value wasn't clear before, it certainly should be now.

The real question at hand is one that we've been asking since we learned how to speak: Why? Why do we use idioms? What possesses us to say that something easy was "a piece of cake" instead of just calling it "simple"?

Find out more by checking out the latest edition of the Brainstorm here.
Spirituality  D'var Torah

Lessons
of Our Land
Parshat Acharei Mot-Kedoshim

By Rebecca Fuchs  ('10)
D'VAR TORAH EDITOR

In this week's double parshah, Acharei Mot and Kedoshim, we are given many commandments that dictate how to live moral lives. Towards the end of both parshiyot, G-d explains that as a result of their immorality, the nations living in Eretz Yisrael are expelled, and the land is given to Bnei Yisrael. The psukim also warn us that if we are to succumb to our bad inclinations and disregard the commands enumerated in the parshah, we will be treated similarly.

This week we celebrated Yom HaZikaron and Yom HaAtzmaut, two days during which we appreciate the soldiers that have sacrificed for us and the land for which they have fought so bravely. Israel is our land, our home--the one place where we can truly feel safe. Israel is not just a place to visit on occasion, but a safe-haven for Jews, a symbol of our unity, and a testimony to our everlasting relation to G-d, who had promised us the land 3,000 years ago. The overwhelming amount of miracles that have occurred throughout the history of the state are undeniable proof that G-d wants us in our land. He reminds us, however, in this week's parshah that even our current acquisition of the land is conditional.

We have been given the land of Israel, and all that we have, as a gift from G-d. In return, we must be willing to observe His commandments and live the moral lives that He demands from us. Otherwise, the warning is very clear. The pasuk says that we have been separated from the nations, the ones that rejected G-d and disgusted Him with their immorality. We have been distinguished as the light unto the nations, the people of G-d who continue to earn this distinction through our dedication to Torah.

We have been thrown out of our land for our sins and we cannot be foolish enough to make the same mistakes again. Israel is our land and we must continuously earn our right to it. Through our adherence to the mitzvot, may we also merit the coming of the Mashiach, who will return us all to our Holy Land.

Shabbat Shalom!

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Joshua Stadlan ('11)
Editor in Chief
LeeLee Borzak ('10)
Senior Editor & Sports Liaison

David Spektor ('10)
Head of Programming
Michael Feit ('10)
Head of Photo Editing
Paul Hess ('11)
Creative Editor
Andy Agus ('13)
Graphic Designer
Amir Tsarfati ('13)
Photographer & Graphic Designer
Justin Stauber ('11)
Graphic Designer

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)
Chief of Staff
David Petrover ('10)
Technical Editor
Jonah Katz ('11)
Graphic Designer
Binyamin Feit ('12)
Video Engineer
Aaron Rose ('13)
Graphic Designer
Jeffrey Herr ('13)
Programmer
Dani Louis ('12)
Photographer

Staff Writers

Simcha Adelman ('12)
     David Hopen ('12)
     Elana Kaminetsky ('12)         
     Ezra Kurtz ('12)
      Jacob Levenson ('11)
      Leora Litwin ('12)

Rashel Maikhor ('12)
Adam Poliak ('11)
Sarah Struhl ('12)
Andrew Wald ('12)
Mathew Wolkowicz ('12)

Mrs. Claudia Cohen   
Faculty Advisor
Rabbi Allan Houben    Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz           Proofreader

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.
Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433