Subject: Yeshiva Highlites: NOPE, Night Out, and a New Look At Tefilah
Reply: rpt@wyhs.net

Friday, December 4, 2009
17 Kislev 5770
Parshat Vayishlach
Candle Lighting at 5:10 PM

Click on the images above to jump to the corresponding article

What Color Are Your Glasses?

Many people in our school community have unfortunately been faced with real adversities during the past year, brought on by either the economic downturn or by serious medical challenges.

I have been truly awestruck by watching adults who have hit tough times increase their davening and chesed. Others have become true prophets of doom, pining for the good days which will never come again.

One of the most important life skills that we can posses is having a positive outlook. Two people look at the same situation- one sees the up side and an opportunity, and the other sees a problem and danger. The first person is, in general, a happy person. The second one is not.

The positive person is one who gets involved and wants to add value. The negative person is one who complains and doesn't really want to hear solutions.

Like most things, the color of children's glasses is learned from watching their parents deal with adversities, small and big. I always tell my children that "we have no problems". Thank G-d, we live in a great community and a safe and beautiful place, and are truly privileged to be born both Jews and Americans. Look at all the blessings that we have in our individual and collective lives!

The radio personality who, when asked how he's doing, says "better than I deserve" has the right attitude.  Focusing on what we don't have or once had isn't productive. As Rabbi Orlofsky told the students last week, you will be overwhelmed by gratitude when you start contemplating all the good in your life

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Head of School
Chanukah is
1 Week Away!
Sunday 12/13
No mishmar

Monday 12/14
Chagigah 5:30pm
  for present students & their families
Click Here to RSVP

Tuesday 12/15
Panapluka
 Lunch & 6th Period

Wednesday 12/16
Rebbemania
  Periods 1&2
No Night Seder

Thursday 12/17
Extreme Sports
  Lunch 

Monday 2/22
Golf Tournament

Mazel Tov!
Esti Tokayer ('07) on herengagement to Jake Asher of Los Angeles

Girls Varsity Basketball Team
on their victories over
   HA Montreal 41-12
   Maimonides 29-17

News Brief
Laughin' & Learnin'
Rabbi David Orlofsky
Speaks to WYHS 

By Rashel Maikhor ('12)

STAFF WRITER

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving break, WYHS students had the privilege to hear from renowned speaker, scholar, and comedian Rabbi Dovid Orlofsky. Rabbi Orlofsky spoke about the importance of tefilah and why praying and praising Hashem are crucial to our existence.

With his amazing humor that constantly made people laugh, he truly transmitted the message that we should be thankful to Hashem for everything we have and should vocalize our thanks daily through tefilah. "A person idolizes a baseball player because he can hit a ball with a stick," he said, "but not Hashem, who gives a person life?" The lecture was not only a great way to segue into Thanksgiving, but also a lesson to all that we should give thanks everyday.

kumzitzJumble Words

bloodFeature Story

Just Say N.O.P.E.
WYHS Students Learn About
the Dangers of Substance Abuse

By Sarah Struhl ('12)
STAFF WRITER

The students of WYHS were in for a huge reality check this past Tuesday, when representatives and participants of the NOPE Task Force gave a powerful presentation regarding the immediate dangers of substance and alcohol abuse.  NOPE, which stands for Narcotic Overdose Prevention and Education, specifically serves to discuss the deadly consequence of abusing prescription drugs even if one may just be "trying it only one time."

To begin the program, a short video was shown elaborating on the goals that NOPE strives to accomplish, through showing one teen's own situation which ultimately led to his death.  The eerie words, "Death is Final," lingered on the screen.  Next, Captain Fred Mascaro from the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spoke further about the horrible places where illegal substances can lead you.  As numerous names and pictures of teenage victims of substance abuse were displayed on the screen, Captain Mascaro briefly described each teenager's individual story and how they and their families suffered greatly due to this horrible addiction.

Afterwards, a Palm Beach Country sheriff who works with juveniles described some of her own experiences of finding people harmed and sometimes killed due to substance abuse.  She described the horrific scene of someone being found lifeless because of his or her horrible decision to take any sort of illegal drug.

In addition, she greatly emphasized that if anyone suspects that a friend has a drug issue, he or she must tell someone right away, and if he or she suspects that a friend is currently on a drug, he or she must call 9-1-1 immediately.  One phone call could very likely save that person's life and get him or her the appropriate help.

To further convey the severity of the consequences of drug usage, two parents who tragically lost their children to substance abuse told their heart-wrenching stories.  As tears filled everyone's eyes, the point was made that drugs do not only affect you, but they affect your family, your friends, and everyone else around you, and that the danger of death is real.

To conclude the sorrowful yet thought-provoking program, a video was shown to commemorate those whose lives were cut short due to substance abuse.  The presentation was an overall success in instilling an awareness of the dangers and consequences of substance abuse in every single WYHS student.

alumniFeaturette
The Race is On!
The Junior Night Out: Extreme Go-Karting & Arcade Fun

By Jacob Levenson  ('11)
STAFF WRITER

On your mark, get set, GO! 

The Juniors raced through a night full of extreme carting, gaming, and bonding at X-Treme Indoor Karting this past Monday on their Junior Night Out.  The excited Juniors and their teachers relaxed during a work-free night, competing in the greatly anticipated high-speed carting races.  They also enjoyed two jam-packed hours of arcade games and friendly competition. 

Not only did this entertaining night give students a chance to put the pedal to the metal (at speeds of up to forty-five miles per hour) and show off their flawless driving skills, but it also allowed for a night of connecting with friends and teachers.  The Junior Night Out successfully integrated a night of fun into the year's busy schedule, and
definitely will be a memorable highlight of the year. 

musicMultimedia
Jewish Music
Pick of the Week
By Zack Raab ('10)
MUSIC CORRESPONDENT

Album:
Lo Lihityaeish

Artist: Shua Kessin

Lo Lihityaeish is Shua Kessin's debut album. It is a very Chassidic album and the songs range from Generations, an English song about the Holocaust, to Bye Bye Bye, which is a song from Brich Shmei. Bye Bye Bye is by far the most capturing and upbeat song -- in the Chevra style -- that many would enjoy blasting really loudly. It is an Aramaic song with words that remind us that we have faith in Hashem. Lo Lihityaeish is a fantastic album with unique lyrics and tunes and a great final track that many will want to keep on repeating.

My three favorites are: Bye Bye Bye, Beitin, Lo Lihityaeish

Click on the image above to listen to album samples.

focusIn Focus
Lights, Camera, Yonah!
Rabbi Lanner's Class Makes Movies About Sefer Yonah

By Andrew Wald ('12)
STAFF WRITER

For the first time in WYHS history, the Navi students are learning the five megillot and the book of Yonah.

Many teachers are implementing new and creative ways to bring these exceptionally interesting stories to life.  Rabbi Chaim Lanner broke his classes up into two- or three-person groups and assigned them a project to make brief movie trailers promoting the story of Yonah

In creating their video clips, the students had a lot of fun while reviewing the insights from the text of Yonah they had learned in class. 

After being asked of his opinion of the assignment, sophomore Josh Hirth immediately exclaimed, "That was by far my favorite project I've ever done." 

As for Rabbi Lanner, when asked about his reasoning behind such an interesting and nontraditional class activity, he explained, "I try to employ multidimensional teaching and differentiated instruction to appeal to the multiple intelligences and diverse learning abilities and capabilities of my students.  And besides...who doesn't like watching movies in class?"  He also divulged that Yonah was just the beginning.  Students of Rabbi Lanner will be ecstatic to hear that there will be many more trailers to come.

Click on the images below to play a few of the Yonah movie trailers.

picofweekCulture Poetry & Prose

The Light

By Daniella Lieberman ('10)

as originally published in the
WYHS Literary Journal, Allie's Mitt

I braced myself as I held
The leather-bound wonder
In my hands.
The beautifully embroidered cover
With gold, inscribed letters
Assured me that
What I was about to study
Would be life-changing.

As though by a miracle
The book opened,
Revealing a world of
Mystery, clarity, questions, and,
Rarely, answers

Words, Wonderful, beautiful words
Come alive on those aged pages.
When read,
Ideas, emotions,
Happiness, stubbornness,
Grief, despair;
Were felt.

The world as I knew it dissolved around me -
Darkness gloom doom confusion
Were no longer.
The book took the place of the horrible;
It illuminated the world,
Enlightened the mind,
Comforted the heart.

In theory and in reality
It solves all problems,
Despite the fact its
Archaic words were never modified.
The worn, torn, ivory pages hold
The key to the answer,
The answer to all mysteries.

My world is illuminated. But the
Darkness is
Coming: it infiltrates through the
Spaces of light,
Trying to slam the book closed. Nevertheless,
The sacred book which brings truth to the world
Fights for the
Right to outlive the lies.

Spirituality  D'var Torah

The Name of G-d
Parshat Vayishlach

By Rebecca Fuchs  ('10)
D'VAR TORAH EDITOR

In this week's parshah, Vayishlach, Hashem appears to Yaakov and introduces Himself as "Kel Shaddai." There are many interpretations as to the significance of this name. Every name of G-d signifies a certain attribute. The first half of His name, "Kel", represents G-d's attribute of Mercy. "Shaddai" comes from the word "Dai", which means sufficient.

As most people know from personal experience, the world is an incredibly difficult place in which to live. Throughout our lives on this world, we are constantly troubled with challenges and plagued with miseries. When one must cope with a struggle or face a difficulty, as we all must at some point, it can be very easy to give up hope. After all, how much pain can we endure, how many tests can we prevail over? It is extremely simple to doubt our capabilities and claim that we are unable to deal with that which has been presented to us. The name of "Kel-Shaddai", however, teaches us that we are entirely capable of overcoming any challenge that G-d may present us with.

As His name suggests, G-d provides man with a sufficient amount of mercy. G-d understands what makes us tick, what we can endure, and how much struggle is necessary for us to be able to accomplish our mission in this world. He knows our limits and stretches them, but does not give us more burden than we can bear. Every single trouble that we face is from G-d, and we must understand that we can get through even the most difficult situation because He is there supporting us every step of the way. Additionally, every time that we are faced with a test in which we feel that perhaps we are not yet able to overcome our Yetzer Hara, we must remember that G-d has sent us this test only because He knows that we have the ability to make the right choice, and grow as a result of the decision we make. May G-d's sufficient Mercy grant us the confidence and support necessary to face any and every challenge throughout our lives.

Shabbat Shalom!
The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Joshua Stadlan ('11)
Editor in Chief
LeeLee Borzak ('10)
Senior Editor & Sports Liaison
Michael Feit ('10)
Head of Photo Editing
Paul Hess ('11)
Creative Editor
Andy Agus ('13)
Graphics Engineer
Aaron Rose ('13)
Graphic Designer

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)
Chief of Staff
David Petrover ('10)
Technical Editor
David Spektor ('10)
Head of Programming
Jonah Katz ('11)
Graphic Designer
Binyamin Feit ('12)
Video Engineer
Justin Stauber ('11)
Graphic Designer

Staff Writers

Simcha Adelman ('12)
      David Hopen ('12)
      Elana Kaminetsky ('12)         
      Ezra Kurtz ('12)
      Jacob Levenson ('11)
      Leora Litwin ('12)

Rashel Maikhor ('12)
Adam Poliak ('11)
Sarah Struhl ('12)
Andrew Wald ('12)
Mathew Wolkowicz ('12)

Mrs. Claudia Cohen    
Faculty Advisor
Rabbi Allan Houben    Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz           Proofreader

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.
Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433