Subject: Yeshiva Highlites: the Beach, the Babies, the Brainstorm
Reply: rpt@wyhs.net

Friday, October 30, 2009
12 Cheshvan 5770
Parshat Lech-Lecha
Candle Lighting at 6:22 PM

Click on the images above to jump to the corresponding article

Is It Ever Too Early To Plan?

As the due date for our first child approached, I began planning every detail of a bris. I created an invite list, compared caterer and synagogue rental costs, obtained the numbers of mohelim, and gave thought to whom we would give honors such as sandek and kvaterim. Mazel tov! It was a girl!

I went through the same motions a year and a half later (Mazel tov on daughter #2!). For our third, fourth and fifth children, I figured that I was being a little too methodical, so I didn't make any plans. My wife and I are, thank G-d, proud parents of five girls.

Attention to detail and anticipating the unexpected are two major benefits to advance planning. Lack of flexibility and wasted time and resources are two downsides. 

One of the most important things students can learn in high school is to plan in advance. Not waiting to write a paper or an essay the night before it's due, studying for a test on a quiet night, filling out a summer or college application as soon as it is available, are examples of Advanced Planning 101.

WYHS tries to model advanced planning. We buy planners for our students and teach them how to use them.  We painstakingly devise a test schedule to help students manage the challenging dual curriculum. We try to stick to our schedule and calendar.

I'm happy to announce that next year's (2010-11) calendar is on Edline, as well as this year's midterm schedule. Just keep clicking the right arrows to go to future months.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Head of School

Next Week
This Wednesday
November 4

Parent Teacher Conferences

Israel Night for Senior Parent 7:00pm 

College Finance Seminar
8:00pm

Next Shabbat
November 6-7
Hollywood Family Shabbaton

Good & Welfare
Mazel Tov
Yoni Schiff ('06) on his engagement

Refuah Shleima
Simcha Chaya bat Luna

Nachum Chaim ben Yehudit Rivka

Dovid Menachem Chaim Halevi ben Esther Bayla

Chesed Corner
WYHS
Walks the Walk

Student Involvement
in the
Sharsheret
Breast Cancer Walk

By Elana Kaminetsky ('12) & Sarah Struhl ('12)

STAFF WRITERS

On Sunday, October 25, the Boca Raton Synagogue hosted a Sharsheret walk & run, in which many WYHS students and families participated and volunteered.

Sharsheret is an organization that dedicates its time to "linking young Jewish women in their fight against breast cancer." Sharsheret, named for the hebrew word for 'chain', endeavors to connect and support women affected by cancer and their families.

The day started out with an early morning community run and walk. Whether walking, running, or volunteering, the WYHS students and families involved indubitably demonstrated support of our community and displayed enthusiasm to be a part of such an incredible and inspirational chesed opportunity.

Afterward, all participants enjoyed a fun and exciting "family fun day" with gelato, cotton candy, face painting, and much more. Finally, the day concluded with an impressive and uplifting speech delivered by one of the Sharsheret representatives, explaining the importance of this amazing organization and thanking us for our exceptional show of support.

We are thankful to Sharsheret for this incredible opportunity and are looking forward to participating in more Sharsheret events in the future.

While School Was Out Early...

WYHS Students Help Others

By Yisrael Weiss ('13)

On Wednesday, October 28, when school was out early, a few WYHS students went to the Youth Activity Center, which provides underprivileged children with academic support and fun, safe activities. We introduced ourselves to the children, played tag, started a game of Red Rover, and raced with them.

After the sports, some kids received one-on-one attention, doing art projects individually or getting help with their homework. We all had a meaningful experience, and it was hard to tell whether we or the children had more fun!

kumzitzNews Brief
Not So Junior Anymore...
The 11th Grade Begins
College Planning

By Adam Poliak ('11)
STAFF WRITER

This past Wednesday evening, Mrs. Marcy Roberts, the school's amazing college guidance counselor, met with the entire junior class and their parents to initiate the junior college process. During the college kickoff, Mrs. Roberts gradually and smoothly introduced the class of 2011 to the rigors of college application. Here are a few key points the juniors got out of the meeting:
  1. Keep up grades, especially junior year grades.
  2. Regarding involvement in extra-curriculars, quality is more important than quantity
  3. Choosing a college is like choosing a spouse; find the best school that works for you as an individual.
  4. We are more than our test scores.
kumzitzNews Brief
Avi Chai
Experiences WYHS

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

SENIOR EDITOR

This week, Avi Chai Foundation Program Officer and avid Highlites reader Rachel M. Abrahams visited WYHS.

Avi Chai is a philanthropic organization that has  It has provided WYHS with many grants, including  Educational Technologist Kathie Yuz, professional development opportunities for  administrators, starter Judaic libraries for students new to Jewish day school, support for our school library, and NETA.

Abrahams, who has been wanting to come to WYHS for a long time, had the opportunity to experience the school as "a sophomore for a day." She described WYHS as "energetic" and is proud to be a supporter of this school. As a quasi-tenth grader, she noticed the "engaged student body enjoying classes" and particularly enjoyed her Gemara class. All around, it was a  "wonderful visit."

kumzitzNews Brief
Meet the Parents
Freshman Parent
Melava Malka

By Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)
CHIEF OF STAFF

This past Motzei Shabbat, parents of the freshman class were treated to a lively melava malka at the Tirschwells.  At the vibrant social program, parents enjoyed meeting the parents of their children's friends, not to mention snacking on the delicious food. Needless to say, the melava malka truly left the parents feeling the deep sense of unity, caring and community that radiates through the halls of WYHS.

bloodFeature Story
Eitan Katz Concert, Baby!
First Baby Bash/Chagigah of the Year

By David Hopen ('12) & Rashel Maikhor ('12)

STAFF WRITERS

After months filled with anticipation and eager excitement, our first chagigah had finally arrived.  The students quickly shuffled through the doors and hallway and into the ballroom.  As everyone began to settle down, the senior girls entered the ballroom dressed up in gowns as a "wedding' theme wardrobe; their unique gowns amused everyone. 

Rabbi Tirschwell started off the event by sharing a few words on how WYHS is a true family.  Rabbi Schochet and Ms. Sardano also shared some beautiful words about the guests of honor, Keren Ora ('27) and Nahla Dolce ('27). Following the heartfelt and emotional presentations by Ms. Sardano and Rabbi Schochet proudly explaining their babies' names and origins, Eitan Katz took the stage to wild cheer and applause.  The room was instantly transformed into an inspirational concert, the enthusiasm palpable and the students brimming with energy.

Everyone was dancing their hearts out to the music and really portraying the true WYHS ruach.  At first, each grade had their own dancing circles, however, by the time the concert came to an end, everyone was merged together as one school.  All grades danced together, as Simon Markovitch ('12) exclaimed, "the ruach with my peers made this chagigah pretty hard to top."  Music flowed, students grinned, and the Rebbeim and teachers alike stormed the dance floor, united and stirred by the moving and melodic brilliance of Eitan Katz. 

The students joined their teachers in an enjoyable and comforting break from the usual demanding and rigorous classes.  "It is really nice to see how much the school cares for the faculty and allows them to share their smachot with all of us; especially by celebrating them with a great concert that was amazing!" said  Melissa Adler ('10).  Students happily and firmly declared their appreciation of the fun-filled time, channeling the uplifting performance into a meaningful Minchah. Pouring out of school into their evening activities, students left boosted and thrilled, enthusiastically look forward to the next chagigah. 

Congratulations to Rabbi and Mrs. Schochet and Ms. Sardano and her husband Luis Hernandez on the births of their daughters, Keren Ora and Nahla Dolce, and thank you to Eitan Katz for an awesome concert!

volleyFeaturette
Basketball + Beach = Blast!
The Senior Extravaganza

It's only been two months of school, but for the seniors, each day is jam packed. This week, the 12th grade did not just have a night out--it was an extravaganza. After a pizza dinner, the seniors went to the opening night Miami Heat game where they not only watched  the Heat beat the Knicks, but also had a chance to hang out with each other.

The next morning, despite some severe sleep deprivation, the class of 2010 davened Shacharit during sunrise, ate breakfast, and chilled out on the beach--all before first period. While they juggle college essays, seminary and yeshiva applications, and their every day classes, the seniors still find a way to take advantage of their seniority, dressing up at any school event (or just a normal day of school) and adding excitement to WYHS.

alumniIn Focus
A True Hero
Israel Awareness Committees
Hear From Wounded IDF Soldier Izzy Ezagui

By Andrew Wald ('12)
STAFF WRITER

During lunch on Monday, Izzy Ezagui spoke to members of the Committee for Israel Action (C.I.A.) and the IDF committee about his experiences in the Israeli Defense Forces.  Izzy, who is originally from Aventura, courageously decided to join the IDF when his family was considering making Aliyah.  During Operation Cast-Lead, Izzy's unit was called upon to enter Gaza, but immediately before they could attack, a rocket hit Izzy's tent, taking off his left arm

Izzy was introduced to the WYHS students by a representative of One Family, an organization that helps victims of terrorist attacks in Israel and that is helping Izzy get the most up-to-date prosthetic arm available. 

I had the privilege of sitting down with Izzy for a few minutes after he finished speaking.

Andrew Wald: As an American Jew, what made you decide to join the IDF?
Izzy Ezagui: I thought about the history of the Jewish people and how important it was to me.  Also, I wanted to make Aliyah and this was part of the process.

AW: Izzy, how different is it being in Israel now that you're a soldier in the IDF?
IE: I feel more of a connection to Israel and I realize that I really belong there.  I plan to stay in the army and hope to rejoin my unit.

AW: What would you say to other young American Jews considering serving in the IDF?
IE: The IDF is only for someone who thinks it is the most important thing he or she can do; it is not the only way to help the Jewish people and the State of Israel, yet it is a very important one.  However, it is crucial to make sure your parents support your decision, which means you might have to explain to them why joining is what is best for you. 
Multimedia

Katz, Babies,
and YOU

Click on the image to the left to view the photos and play a slideshow from Thursday's energetic, ruach-filled concert & Baby Bash.
Picture of the Week
Picture of the Week
How many people does it take to unroll a miniature Torah?
Ask Rabbi Ben Sugerman's Gemara class or just count the students in the panorama below.

picofweekArts & Opinion The Brainstorm
The WYHS
BRAINSTORM

Click on the image below to download the Brainstorm.

You may print it out
or read it online.

By Chana Brauser ('10) & Shalva Ginsparg ('11)
BRAINSTORM EDITORS IN CHIEF

The Brainstorm, the school's Arts & Opinion magazine, provides a forum for students to develop and realize their talent as thinkers and writers.

In Volume IV, Issue I of the Brainstorm, our writers fearlessly tackle the issue of health care, stripping it of its technical jargon and presenting the opposing views in laymen's terms. Confronting another hot-button issue, "Global Warming: Fact or Fiction" depoliticizes the controversy by promoting eco-consciousness. "Should You Give It a Shot?" explores the pros and cons of in-school swine flu vaccination. We invite you to "Play the Memory Game" but don't wait "Until Text Time." Consider the health of iTunes as our writers debate its future. We feature a review of Matisyahu's latest, Dan Brown's newest, and Sci-fi's deepest, along with "Back to School=Back in Vogue," a demystification of fall fashion. The Brainstorm is "Breaking the Mold" with its new feature, a personal story showcasing the unconventional travails of today's teens.

We encourage you--nay, dare you-- to read on and acquaint yourselves with the pulse of a generation.
Spirituality  D'var Torah

Taking the Elevator

Parshat Lech-Lecha

By Rebecca Fuchs ('10)
D'VAR TORAH COORDINATOR

In this week's Parshah, Lech Lecha, G-d speaks to Avraham for the first time and instructs him to leave his homeland for the land of Canaan, known presently as Israel. When the pasuk describes Avraham's journey, it states that he "went up from Egypt." Literally, this means that he ascended to Israel, since it is geographically higher than Egypt. Despite this simple interpretation one may still wonder why that particular word choice is used. After all, we clearly know that Israel is literally higher than Egypt, and no words in the Torah are used without a cause and a deeper significance.

The Zohar explains that Avraham, through this journey, ascended, not only physically, but spiritually as well.  This is a very nice idea, but could Avraham really gain new spiritual heights by just changing his location? He was already at such an incredibly heightened level of spirituality, and yet he somehow managed to rise even further by merely moving. What is so great about this journey?

Egypt represents more than just a place on a map. Egypt was contaminated with immorality, filled with inhabitants who were completely immersed in idol worship and various other meaningless activities. By moving to the unbelievably holy land of Israel, Avraham could connect with G-d on a different level and become even greater than before.

Of course, moving to the land G-d has chosen for us is a wonderful and ideal endeavor, but it is not so simple for all of us. We can still, however, learn an incredible lesson from Avraham. We can elevate ourselves  spiritually, not just by picking up and moving to an entirely different country, but by changing our surroundings. Often we may be put in a situation where spiritual growth is not so easy. Our task is to remove ourselves from the situations that may distance us from G-d and, and like Avraham, make the spiritual journey that is possible when we surround ourselves with the right influences. May we continue our journey to new spiritual heights, and through our efforts, eventually make the true elevated journey to Israel with Mashiach!

Shabbat Shalom!

Next Week at WYHS

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Joshua Stadlan ('11)
Editor in Chief
LeeLee Borzak ('10)
Senior Editor & Sports Liaison
Michael Feit ('10)
Head of Photo Editing
Paul Hess ('11)
Creative Editor
Jacob Levenson ('11)
Syntax Editor
Aaron Rose ('13)
Graphic Designer
Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)
Chief of Staff
David Petrover ('10)
Technical Editor
David Spektor ('10)
Head of Programming
Jonah Katz ('11)
Graphic Designer
Binyamin Feit ('12)
Video Liaison
Justin Stauber ('11)
Graphic Designer
Staff Writers

Simcha Adelman ('12)
      David Hopen ('12)
      Elana Kaminetsky ('12)         
      Raziel Katz ('12)
      Ezra Kurtz ('12)
      Leora Litwin ('12)

Rashel Maikhor ('12)
Adam Poliak ('11)
Sarah Struhl ('12)
Andrew Wald ('12)
Mathew Wolkowicz ('12)

Mrs. Claudia Cohen    
Faculty Advisor
Rabbi Allan Houben    Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz           Proofreader

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.
Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433