Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Nitzavim/VaYelech
Friday, September 7, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 7:16pm

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Fairness. My high school principal used to say that, in the eyes of a student, it is the most important characteristic that a teacher can possess. I have tried to communicate this message to our faculty as well.

It is not easy to be perceived as fair. Two people have a disagreement. The judge, after weighing all the facts in the case, sides with one of them. The "aggrieved" party will likely feel that the verdict was unfair, and searches for reasons (class, ethnicity, gender, personal connection, etc.) why the judge "favored" the other person.

It is difficult for us to be truly objective about issues when we feel passionately about our view. Being able to see the other person's point of view and give it as much weight as our own is something we should all strive for, but often come out short.

However, we want the Judge of Judges to take into account every possible excuse during His annual evaluation of us. Though His expectations of us are fair- to treat others the way we want to be treated, to regularly express gratitude over our good fortune, and to keep up our end of a covenant, we pray that any judgment against us be vacated by mercy. We define "fair" as G-d taking into account all our foibles.

I have no doubt that I have not been as sensitive as I could have been to you and your views in the past year. In my desire to further the high school's mission, I often make decisions that have much more din than rachamim. I ask your forgiveness for any time I might have steamrolled through an issue without taking out time to fully understand your position.

May these Yamim Noraim sensitize us to the views and situations of others. May G-d judge our families, our school and our communities "fairly"- with mercy.

Yeshiva Highlites will appear next on Erev Yom Kippur.

Shabbat Shalom and Ktiva v'Chatima Tova,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• School Supplies Drive
    for the Children of Sderot

Tuesday, Aug. 28 - Monday, Sept. 10
    Click here for more information

• Selichot Program for Grades 10 -12
    Motzei Shabbat, Sept. 8 @ 10:00pm
    at BMA in Hollywood.
    Selichot begin at midnight

• Teshuva/Tzedaka Campaign Kickoff
    Tues., September 11

• Rosh Hashana - No School
    Wed. Sept. 12 - Fri. Sept. 14

• Kinnus Teshuva for all Students
    Wed. Sept. 19 5:45 - 9:00pm @ WYHS

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov To:

• Jessica Struhl ('04) on her engagement to Dovie Quint of Queens

• Rebecca (Levin '05) and Meir Mayer on the birth of their daughter Basya Chana

• Aleeza Rubin ('09) our district's winner of the 2007 Congressional Art Competition. Her art work that she created in art class at WYHS is hanging in House of Representatives.

• Mr. & Mrs. Isaac Orzechowitz on the marriage of their daughter

Refuah Shleimah To:

• Mr. Jules Weiss

• Condolences To:

• Sally Mitchell (Rabbi Brander's long time assistant) on the loss of her husband George

•  

WYHS Committees:

Planning, Productions and a Whole Lot of Participation

By: LeeLee Borzak ('10)

Student committees are already underway and planning for an amazing year. Every student has an opportunity to get involved in the excitement that is WYHS.

The CIA (Committee for Israel Awareness) is already up and running, giving the student body weekly "Israel Updates" and running a school supplies drive for needy Ethiopian students in Israel.

The Torah Affairs Committee organized pre- selichot seminars during breakfast each day of this past week. Teachers delivered informative divrei Torah about how students can maximize the selichot experience. The Torah Affairs Committee is also running a program this Saturday night for the first night of Ashkenazic selichot which is sure to be an incredible night of fun and inspiration.

The Yearbook Committee has already started meeting to make, what's sure to be, an awesome 2008 WYHS Yearbook.

New at WYHS this year is the Math Club. Over 20 students attended the first meeting and have already begun preparing for upcoming math competitions.

All the posters and flyers that adorn our hallways have been created and hung by our professional and dedicated Publicity Committee.

Responsible for all the slideshows and movies for school programs and Yeshiva Highlites, this year's Video Production Committee has already proven itself with the fantastic "movie trailer" that appeared in last week's highlites. Director of Technology, Mrs. Claudia Cohen, is in the process of coordinating fixed times that the committee will meet each week.

The Rosh Chodesh Committee is already planning Sefardi Gras, which will take place a few days after we return from the Succot break on Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan.

With ample opportunities to get involved, WYHS encourages all students to come join!

Chesed

On The Horizon

By Mrs. Heather Andron

The Chesed and Tzedakah committees are preparing for a year full of meaningful fundraisers and projects. We look forward to raising money for our brethren in Israel, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, collecting food for food banks, raising money for local organizations and more. We also look forward to starting our school-wide recycling program. Stay Tuned!!

Yasher Koach to our students who already collected many boxes of school supplies for Ethiopian children currently living in Israel; a program run by CIA under the direction of Shira Poliak ('08) and Aleeza Rubin ('09), our student heads of CIA.

Jackie Itzkowitz ('08), Student Council Vice President of Community Outreach is very excited about the new school year. She explains "this is going to be the best school year for Chesed and Tzedakah activities. I love helping my community as much as I can and I hope that everyone in school gets involved!"

Upcoming Chesed Opportunities:

• September 11th-Tzedakah Campaign for our brethren in Sderot

• September 24th & 25th- Decorating Succot in your neighborhoods

• October 1st or 2nd-Visiting Joe Dimagio Hospital

• October 17th-School-Wide Chesed Day for 9th- 11th grades

We are also looking for students who want to tutor children in their neighborhoods, join the Friendship Circle and become YACHAD advisors.

We hope that all our students participate in these events and help make them successful.

•  

Goal!!

Boys Soccer

Starts New Season

By: Aryeh Genet ('08)

After a 5 -1 loss to Grandview, a canceled game on Saturday night, and a rain out on Tuesday, the WYHS Storm soccer team wanted some revenge.

Last night, the Storm played Fort Lauderdale Christian in a real "nail biter." After an early goal by Fort Lauderdale Christian, the Storm came back and dominated the field with Category 5 windforce. Doron David ('09) played outstanding defense and offense. Not only did he take the goal kicks, but he also took the corner kicks. He was everywhere on the field. With 10 minutes left in the game and the Storm down by a goal, Doron took a free kick from 35 yards out. It soared through the air and into the top corner of the net.

Seniors Marc Finkelstein and Michael Schiff a.k.a the "bash brothers" controlled the defense. They cleared every ball or player within their sight. Ever since the loss of Goalie Brian Surasky ('06) the Storm have been looking for someone to fill this all important position. Until now. Even though he may not look like a freshman, Matt Orlinsky ('11) has admirably filled that role. Newcomers Yoel Goldberg ('09), Elie Genet ('11), and Justin Stauber ('11) are a great addition to the team and have a bright futures on the team. The final score of the game was a 1 -1 tie.

Our next game is Tuesday, Sept. 11

at 4:15pm @ FAU High

Come Cheer Us On!

By Daniella Greer ('08)

Up Close and Personal

with Dr. Becker

This past Tuesday, parents had the opportunity to meet their childrens' teachers and were able to get a glimpse into the daily schedule of a WYHS student. There are a number of new additions to the WYHS faculty, including a new director of college preparatory studies, Dr. Laura Becker. I was privileged to speak to Dr. Becker about her experience so far at WYHS .

How have you found the transition coming into WYHS?

Dr. Becker: I have found it to be both wonderful and challenging. Wonderful-- because the people here couldn't be nicer. Everyone has been so welcoming and helpful and such a pleasure to be around. Challenging- because as I shared with students at orientation, a computer maven I am not. The learning seems endless with regard to the school's computer programs. It is also a challenge trying to juggle being both a history teacher and administrator because I want to do my best at both.
    Throughout your entire teaching career, what has been your proudest moment?

Dr. Becker: When I have managed to convince students, who lacked confidence in their ability to think and write well, that they were indeed very capable history students.
    What are your primary goals for the college preparatory department this year?

Dr. Becker: To ensure that all students are challenging themselves and being challenged to the best of their ability and that the school instills in the students a love of learning that will last their entire lives.
    What do you find to be the biggest difference from teaching High School versus teaching college?

Dr. Becker: So far, students constantly asking to use the restroom and the general "wriggle " of this age group.

What extra curricular are you looking forward to the most this year?

Drama
    Athletics
    Committees
    Math Club

View Results

poll poll poll poll

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in-Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

"You would have been very proud of them -

singing and dancing next to the canal

and full of Shabbat spirit.

I felt it was such a reflection of WYHS. "

-- Mrs. Amy Buzaglo

commenting on our alumni who she happened

to see over Shabbat in Venice this summer

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433