Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Erev Yom Kippur
Friday, September 21, 2007
Yom Kippur begins in Boca @ 7:00

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Low self image vs. arrogance. One of the most difficult balances to strike in our lives, and those of our children, is between these too extremes- a healthy self image.

How do we speak to our children? Our siblings? Our students? The power of a role model in developing a young person's self image is inestimable. Do we only criticize them? Do we do the opposite- always take their side (even when they may be wrong). Most of us criticize quicker than we complement, which can have a long term effect on the concept of self of those who respect us.

Our children need to feel empowered AND to understand their relative importance in the scheme of things. The baalei mussar call it the dialectic between anochi afar v'aifar (I am but dust) and bishvili nivra haolam (the world was created for me). At times we need a dose of the first, at times we need a dose of the second. We need to play both of these roles with our loved ones.

Chassidim point out that the difference between the Hebrew words for pride-gayeh (gimmel, alef, hey)- and arrogance- gaavah (gimmel, alef, vav, hey)- is one thin line (vav). It is a tightrope that we must walk, and help those who look up to us to walk.

The Ramban writes that arrogance- thinking that I know better than the Almighty- is the root of all sin. Marrying the wrong person, choosing the wrong career, and substance abuse are amongst the side effects of a low self image. Treating others with disdain and falling from grace are amongst the side effects of hubris. The stakes are high.

As we enter the awesome day of Yom Kippur, let us redouble our efforts to find this balance in our lives and in the lives of our children, siblings and students.

Shabbat Shalom, Gmar Chatima Tova, and Chag Sameach. Yeshiva Highlites will appear next on Friday, October 12.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Arba Minim Program
    Monday, Sept. 24

• Sukkot Break - No Classes
    Wednesday, Sept. 26 - Sunday, Oct. 7

• Big Brother/Sister Breakfast
    Tuesday, Oct. 9

• Sephardy Gras -
    Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan

Friday, Oct. 12

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov To:

• Rabbi Ovi and Michal Jacob on the birth of a son

• Rabbi Benjy and Amy Horowitz on the birth of twins, a girl and a boy

Condolences To:

• The Genet Family on the loss of their brother and uncle, Michael

•  

Click On The Picture For A

Moving Video of the Children of Sderot!

Teshuva, Tefilla and Tzedeka

WYHS Prepares For the Yamim Noraim

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

In preparation for the crucial days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur -the Aseret Yemei Teshuva- WYHS has launched its annual Teshuva campaign in order to achieve the ultimate Yamim Noraim experience.

The theme of this year's Teshuva campaign prompts a seemingly simple question: Do you know yourself? Pre-Selichot workshops, given after breakfast by Rebbeim and teachers, were a powerful way to start the Teshuva campaign. They taught students about the meaning behind the Selichot prayers and how to get the most out of Selichot. Grades 10-12 then met at Brauser Maimonides in Hollywood for the first night of Selichot. From movies, skits and an amazing guest speaker, each student was challenged to think about the campaign's question.

Thanks to the powerful program, students were really able to truly connect to the Selichot and strive to improve themselves for the upcoming year. To further promote the message, each student was given a hand held mirror which will hopefully encourage all students to look inside themselves and commit themselves to grow. Every morning after davening, our Rebbeim and teachers inspired us with powerful and gripping mini - Teshuva Shiurim , each with its own message and challenge.

Another aspect of the campaign is Tzedaka. After watching an informing video about the tragic situation in Sderot, students know how much they need help. Each class has its own decorated Tzedeka box and all money will go to helping our brothers and sisters in Sderot.

Thanks to such an incredible campaign, WYHS students will hopefully get the most out of such an important time of the year.

Who Are You?

A Memorable WYHS

Selichot Program

By Chana Brauser ('10)

This past Saturday night, WYHS 10th-12th graders were treated to an inspiring Selichot program at Brauser Maimonides Academy in Hollywood.

After the students had devoured the pizza and snacks provided, they sat down to watch a video-which turned out to be clips from The Lion King, much to everyone's surprise. Yet in these scenes, Simba discusses what he feels is his inability to move on from his disappointing past-he does not know how to do Teshuva. When a wise mystic monkey, Rafiki, tells Simba that as he sees it, "you can either run from the past or learn from it," he was essentially addressing all the WYHS students present, many of whom suddenly understood why the film clips were being shown.

The teachers then presented a skit in which various guests, including a 'peachy' Mrs. Kanner and her 'gangster' son, Rabbi Houben, visited the set of "The Bob Show" and discussed their various issues in uncovering who they really were and their goals in life.

Students were roaring with laughter by the end of the skit and didn't stop at Rabbi Lanner's entertaining discourse on attempting to discover one's true essence and capabilities. Yet when Rabbi Lanner asked students to fill out an index card for themselves and another student detailing five non- physical characteristics, the level of seriousness increased, and many of the night's topics and stimulating ideas truly sunk in.

Students began the Selichot at midnight, joining with Brauser Maimonides Academy middle school students, well-equipped to tackle the meaning behind the prayers and begin the period of introspection and Teshuva leading up to Yom Kippur.

The Power

Of One Word!

Students Get Ready

For Yom Kippur

With Powerful Shiur

By Harry Ganz ('08)

Wednesday night was WYHS's highly anticipated annual Kinnus Teshuva program. The night opened with the girls eating with their Judaic Studies teachers in the school, while the boys ate at their Gemara Rebbeim's homes.

After eating and bonding at our respective dinner locations, both the girls and boys of WYHS filled out an introspective Teshuva Companion packet. In the packet, the students were challenged to discover who they really are and were asked to set goals to strengthen their relationship with Hashem, and their relationships with their friends. When the Midterm and Final exams arrive, each student will review his or her own packet to see how many of the designated goals he or she has accomplished.

Rabbi Ephraim Shapiro rounded off the evening with an eye-opening speech. He spoke about the importance of Shmirat HaLashon, guarding one's speech, and how it relates to the Teshuva process. Rabbi's Shapiro engaging and thought provoking shiur challenged all of us to think twice before we open our mouths and to realize the importance of every word we utter.

Their stomachs' filled with food, and their minds filled with thoughts of Teshuva, the students of WYHS anticipate a G'mar Chatima Tova and a meaningful fast on Yom Kippur.

Click On Picture For

Great Multi Media Presentation

He Said/She Said

Squared

Teshuva Campaign Special

By Daniella Greer ('09)

Below, Matt Orlinsky ('11), Shira Wolkowicz ('10), Josh Berdugo ('09) and Leah Wiznitzer ('08) reflect on the things that have inspired them most during our Teshuva campaign and their goals for the upcoming year.

What was your favorite aspect of Selichot night?

Josh Said: Seeing everyone together gathered in unity to connect with Hashem and learn how to reshape ourselves. It really showed me how meaningful it is to be in such an amazing school and to be part of Klal Yisroel.

Leah Said: I really enjoyed the clips they showed us from the Lion King because it gave us such a powerful message of assuming responsibility for our actions. Furthermore, I really enjoyed Rabbi Lanner's speech. The activity we did really taught me that's its not only important how we see ourselves but also what's extremely important is the way we present ourselves to others.

What message did you take away from the Kinnus Teshuva?

Shira Said: Through Rabbi Shapiro's beautiful and inspirational speech, I learned how one little word can make such an important impact on a persons life. I also learned how vital it is to watch what I say always.

Matt Said: The Dvar Torah that Rabbi Shapiro gave us about having both an open and closed mouth. What he said applies to us so much and it really inspired me to guard what I say.

What have these weeks of introspection compelled you to take on in the New Year?

Josh Said: To work on myself and work on what I say. I also want to learn more Torah and appreciate time more because life is short and there's so much to accomplish in this world.

Shira Said: I am going to try to have an extremely meaningful Yom Kippur and to not speak Lashon Hora.

Matt Said: I want to try to not talk back to people and have more self control over my actions.

Which speaker during the mini-shiurim had the most profound impact on you and why?

Josh Said: Rabbi Spodek! He was telling us how lucky we are to be Jewish and he expressed this thought in such a powerful way. Throughout the shiur he would scream the important lines which intensified even more deeply what he was trying to impart to us.

Leah Said: The story Mrs. Kanner told us really showed me how lucky and fortunate enough to be able to freely keep Yom Kippur. I learned not to take this power to observe Yom Kippur for granted and therefore to take the most out of this extraordinary opportunity to repent and ask forgiveness from Hashem.

92 Number of Kids who Came to our Sat. night Selichot Program 

92 Number of Students who were Inspired by the Selichot Program

$900 Amount of Money Raised
    during Two Week Tzedaka Drive

90 vs 7 Number of Hours
    Sephardim Spent on Selichot Prayers vs Number of Hours Ashkenazim Spent on Selichot Prayers

" I have never witnessed anything quite as warm and

wonderful as the outpouring of genuine love from the

entire school community. You all have obviously created

a very unique and wonderful environment at WYHS. "

-- Marcy Roberts, College Guidance Director

commenting on the scene in the hallway upon the announcement

of the birth of twins to Rabbi Benjy and Amy Horowitz

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433