Preview Close Window  

Subject: Yeshiva Highlites featuring Big Brother/Sister Program and Leadership Training
Reply: rpt@wyhs.net

[View HTML Version] [View Text Version]
View Printable Version

Yeshiva Highlites featuring Big Brother/Sister Program and Leadership Training
$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of
Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Ki Tavo
Friday, August 31, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 7:22pm

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Ben Gamla- this cohen gadol who lived during the second Temple has become embroiled in a nationwide controversy due to the new school that bears his name in our backyard in Hollywood. People have strong views about this publicly funded charter school, which focuses on teaching Hebrew language, serves kosher meals, is run by an Orthodox rabbi and attracts predominantly Jewish students. Whatever your opinion may be on the church and state issue, what are the lessons that Jewish day schools can learn from this extraordinary development?

I think that this is an excellent opportunity for us to reflect on why we sacrifice as parents and students to attend yeshivot. What can a Jewish day school do that a publicly funded school can not do?

• Inspire Torah observance. This is the first half of our school's mission. This can not be even a slight element of the mission of a publicly funded school.

• Provide excellent role models for children, who are desperately looking for them. A charter school can not discriminate in its hiring based on religion or ethos.

• Teach the centrality of prayer. In addition to learning how to daven, WYHS students learn that prayer is the most important thing we do each day.

• Give individual attention. We can keep our school and class size small enough that we know each and every child, and are able to help them meet their potential.

• Offer a diverse student body. Geographically, our students hail from South Beach to Jacksonville. Socio- economically, if not for their religious dedication, we have families that would have sent to upper crust private schools and those would never dream of it.

• Minimize discipline problems, through admissions based on behavior. We are able to address issues without the restrictions on publicly funded institutions.

• Create a like-minded peer group whose students and families are committed to the same goals. A charter school may not be selective in its admissions.

Whether you are for or against Ben Gamla, it can never be a Jewish day school. Until the Supreme Court determines that our government can fund private, faith based schools, we will remain proud, independent school parents and students.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
    to link to these nine websites
    highlites 
archive
    edline calendar
    photo gallery
    federation
    movies
    highwaylogo
    yeshivin

• Upcoming Events

• School Supplies Drive
    for the Children of Sderot

Tuesday, Aug. 28 - Monday, Sept. 10
    Click here for more information

• Mitzvah Market and BBQ @ BRS
    Sunday, Sept. 2 @ 11:00 - 3:00
    Click here for more information

• Meet the Teacher Night
    Tuesday, Sept. 4 @ 7:30pm @ WYHS

• Girls Musical Auditions
    Wednesday, Sept. 5 @ 6:00pm

• Selichot Program for Grades 10 -12
    Motzei Shabbat, Sept. 8 @ 10:00pm
    at BMA in Hollywood

• Good and Welfare

Faculty Mazel Tovs:

• Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner on the birth of a granddaughter, Naama

• Mrs. Melissa Pereira on the marriage of her son, Adam

• Mrs. Ravit Shalit on being appointed a NETA School Mentor

• Refuah Shleimah to Mr. Jules Weiss

Alumni Mazel Tovs:

• Daniel Seif ('02) on being WYHS' first graduate to receive smichaand on his marriage to Rena Binter of Chicago

• Zvi Rantz ('02) on his recent marriage to Eliana Novick of West Orange

• Uri Turk, ('03) Hudi Moscowitz ('03) and Ziyona Rantz ('06) on their aliyah

• Dina Turetsky ('04) on her recent engagement to Jonny Dobkowski of Rochester

• Yael Weiss ('04) on her recent engagement to Yonatan Orlinksy of Teaneck

• Yaakov and Shoshana Seligman ('04) on their recent marriage

• Jesse (Esquenazi '05) Sasson on the birth of a son Moshe

• Moshe Genet ('06) on enlisting in the Israeli Army

• Yocheved Fox ('06) on her recent engagement to Josh Gordon of Kendall

•  

Click On Picture For A Exciting WYHS Movie Trailer!

Welcome Back!!

"Keeping it Going"

with Students and New Parents

By: LeeLee Borzak ('10)

Freshman Orientation

On Friday, August 24th, anxious freshmen took their first steps through the doors of WYHS for their "Freshman Orientation." While this could have been a nerve-wracking experience for the new freshmen, Student Council took the edge off right from the start, welcoming them at the door and leading them upstairs for a beautiful davening, good music and a delicious breakfast.

Rabbi Tirschwell, Mrs. Kanner, Dr. Becker, Shimmie Kaminetsky and Rabbi Spodek all welcomed the freshmen to WYHS and spoke about the inherent differences between middle school and high school and the uniqueness of being in a Yeshiva high school.

To help ease some of the anxiety of the day, Student Council members led the freshmen in a great ice-breaker game of human-foosball and dodge ball. The laughter was electric and the excitement was palpable as the freshmen began to get to know each other and feel more comfortable.

After a delicious lunch, the freshmen heard from Student Council Co-President Julie Rosenberg who encouraged the freshmen to get involved in the school. After Student Council Co-President Anosh Zaghi introduced the other members of Student Council, the freshmen watched a video which explained each of the fourteen student-run committees in WYHS, and encouraged them to participate.

After signing up for committees and receiving large piles of school books, the freshmen were given a special gift bag presented by Student Council with Shabbat goodies and a poem welcoming them to our school.

The orientation was a huge success, and we are sure that the class of 2011 will accomplish great things over their next four years.

New Parent Orientation

While the first day of school may be hard for the students, it can be even tougher for new parents. Over fifty new parents came to Sunday's New Parent Orientation to understand first-hand the inner workings of their child's new school. The orientation started with a delicious brunch, which helped make the atmosphere a little more relaxed.

Parents all received packets of their child's schedule, test schedule, and other documents necessary to survive WYHS. Speeches from Rabbi Tirschwell, Mrs. Kanner and Dr. Becker, ranging in topics from leading by example and WYHS's philosophy, all informed new parents of how to assist their child in making the most of his or her high school career.

Transfer Student Orientation

Freshmen are not the only newcomers to WYHS. This year, ten students from all around the continent transferred to WYHS. For the first time ever, this past Sunday, WYHS hosted a transfer student orientation.

Led by Community Service Coordinator, Mrs. Andron and Program Director, Rabbi Spodek, with the help of Student Council Presidents Anosh Zaghi ('08) and Julie Rosenberg ('08), and other class presidents, the ten new transfer students learned about WYHS from a student's perspective. They learned all the crucial aspects of WYHS: where to eat lunch, where to make copies, the location of the various offices and "who's who" at WYHS.

The goal of the transfer student orientation was to make these new students feel comfortable switching into a grade that is already accustomed to WYHS. The orientation was a success and hopefully, the new students will feel right at home here at WYHS.

General Student Orientation

As the entire school convened for the general orientation on Monday, the scene was loud and exciting: students greeting one another with hugs and high-fives, catching up on each others' summers, discussing classes, activities, and plans for the New Year.

The day began with a scrumptious lunch and continued with Rabbi Tirschwell's address to the students. Rabbi Tirschwell spoke about how every single student has an opportunity for a fresh new start, an "academic Rosh Hashanah." We should all take our mistakes from the previous year and learn from them, in order to improve ourselves in every way possible.

Students were then treated to an original movie trailer about WYHS, made by Jeremy Hodkin ('09), Vice President of Communications and Zach Cohen. ('06) The video focused on how great previous years at WYHS were, but moreover how incredible this year is going to be. With that in mind, Student Council Presidents Anosh Zaghi ('08) and Julie Rosenberg ('08) delivered a beautiful Dvar Torah and relayed a simple, yet effective, message: Keep it going! WYHS students should keep dancing at chagigas, keep getting involved, keep cheering on sports teams, and keep on "getting into it," even more than before.

As the day continued, students were privileged to hear from other faculty members such as Mrs. Saddler who spoke enthusiastically about the school's upcoming plays and the fantastic drama department. We were then introduced to Dr. Laura Becker, Director of College Preparatory Studies, and Mrs. Marcy Roberts, Director of College Guidance. All of the faculty speakers conveyed the school's unique commitment to Torah and spirituality, academic excellence, service to the school and greater community, and-through it all-having fun.

Hopefully, the inspiring words of our faculty will guide us all towards a year of growth and success!

Student Council Learns

about "The Power of One"

By Rachelli Kaplan ('09) Vice President of Programming

As a new member of WYHS's Student Council, I was a little nervous to begin to fill the shoes of my predecessor, Ethan Wasserman '07. During the previous year, Ethan's devotion and ingenuity to Student Council was quite commendable and I was pretty dubious of my own skills in comparison.

Thankfully, my nervous thoughts were soon mollified by the Student Council BBQ and leadership seminar at Rabbi Spodek's house. After a delicious BBQ lunch and friendly conversation amongst the fourteen members of Student Council, Rabbi Tirschwell joined us to speak about "the power of one".

He began with an anecdote about Rabbi Brander, which entailed Rabbi Brander's perseverance in every obstacle that crossed his path, as well as his unbelievable selflessness and eager desire to help his community. Rabbi Brander single handedly accomplished extraordinary goals, simply because of his mindset and strong belief in himself. He proved that the "power of one" truly makes a drastic difference and with the correct approach and self- sacrificing attitude, anything can be done.

In addition to the meaningful speech by Rabbi Tirschwell, Rabbi Spodek and Rabbi Houben divided the members of Student Council into small groups to play a game called "think, pair, share." We were asked to make a list of attributes essential to a successful leader. These lists of characteristics were then separated into the categories of bein adam liatzmo, between a person and himself, and bein adam lichaveiro, a person and his friend.

After much discussion as to what traits truly help define a leader, we realized that being a leader is not something that one is born into but one that anyone can learn and become. In a leadership role, one must be the proper role model for others, and when these crucial qualities are achieved, the position of being a leader becomes so much more rewarding.

Thank you to Rabbis Spodek, Houben and Tirschwell for providing us with this inspiring afternoon.

Bump, Set, Spike!

Girls Volleyball Starts

New Season with a Bang

By: Sofia Peimani ('09)

Girls Varsity Volleyball is off to a great start. Although they did not win their matches this week, they played incredibly well, showing tremendous improvement just over two games. The team learnt much from Tuesday's game at Boca Prep. However, this past Thursday night, we really began to understand and experience the notion of wining.

The Friedman sisters (Jessica '08 & Lauren '11) kept the score thrillingly close with their amazing serves and passes. The bump-set-spike plays were flawlessly executed by Emily Waxman ('09), Jackie Itzkowitz ('08) and Aleeza Ruben ('09), and racked up a large number of points. Kudos to Jackie Berger ('10) for her hard core blocks.

The team is improving with every game and every practice. The team is looking forward to more exciting games as well as an exhilarating rest of the season!

All Storm fans are encouraged to attend this Saturday night's game against Hebrew Academy at 9:30 p.m. at @ Northshore, 72th Street and Harding on Miami Beach.

Come cheer us on

and share

your energy!

Siblings, Strikes, and Sprinkles

"Big Brother/Big Sister Kickoff"

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

This past Monday, the senior and freshman classes enjoyed their first "Big Brother/ Big Sister" Program. After orientation and book distribution, the seniors and freshmen headed towards the loud music playing in the Beit Midrash. There, while snacking on delicious ice cream, each freshman received a card with three interesting facts about his or her big brother or sister.

Not knowing who they were paired with, the freshmen had to ask the seniors questions to identify which senior matched the card the freshman had been given. The details were humorous, and even embarrassing, but truly, so perfectly descriptive that each freshman found his or her big "sibling" in record time.

After the newly-introduced "siblings" chatted a bit and got to know each other, they headed out to bond over bowling. Congratulating each other over strikes and spares and laughing at each other's complete misses, the freshmen and seniors ended the day with a special connection. "We got to know the freshmen and hopefully it took some of the pressure off of starting high school," said Leora Cohen ('08).

From here, the seniors will aim to help their freshman "siblings" navigate their first year of high school, support them through their ups and downs, and hopefully impart a bit of "senior wisdom" along the way. Good luck freshmen!

He Said/She Said

Up Close and personal With The Class of 2011

By Daniella Greer ('09)

As the first week of school comes to a close, freshmen Paul Hess and Maya Tsarfati spoke to us about their first week at WYHS.

Why did you choose WYHS?

He said: I heard from so many people about how amazing the school is and how strong the academics are. What attracted me the most was how close of an environment WYHS is.

She said: I wanted to get a good secular and Judaic education. I especially wanted a great Judaic education because I never learned Judaic studies before and I heard that this was the greatest school for that.

What have you found to be the biggest difference from middle school to high school?

He said: I definitely feel more independent and more like an adult now. Now that I'm in high school I feel I should be more on top of things.

She said: This school has such a different atmosphere from middle school. Everyone's so warm and inviting. Also, the classes here are much more challenging.

Are you feeling overwhelmed with the workload?

He said: I have very good study ethics so hopefully that wont be an issue. Also, the teachers really make an effort to make sure no-one gets too overwhelmed with work.

She said: Not overwhelmed, but very challenged. All my classes, are extremely intellectually stimulating and exciting and I'm so excited to learn and do the work.

After hearing about all of the activities the school has to offer, are there any that you are really looking forward to participating in?

He said: Everything I've heard about seems really exciting to me and I'm to hoping to take as many as I can.

She said: What I'm looking forward to the most is yearbook and chesed. They both sound so rewarding and fun.

10 Number of transfer students 

61 Number of students
    in the Junior class

199 Number of students
    in the school

"Your kids are terrific.

They have so much energy and are just great!!

They make me proud to be Jewish"

-- random gentleman at the bowling alley,

commenting on our students at our Big Brother/Sister program

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433