Preview Close Window  

Subject: Yeshiva Highlites Featuring Student Leadership Awards Breakfast and Sports Banquet
Reply: rpt@wyhs.net

[View HTML Version] [View Text Version]
View Printable Version

Yeshiva Highlites Featuring Student Leadership Awards Breakfast and Sports Banquet
$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of
Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Bamidbar
Friday, May 30th, 2008
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 7:50

rpt

From the desk of

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

I'm often asked "how much time goes into producing this newsletter every week? Even before Yeshiva Highlites is sent into cyberspace, the staff meets to plan next week's edition. What pictures will we need? What are we writing about and who's writing it? Who is taking video footage and who is editing it? Who are we interviewing, who's doing By the Numbers, etc.

It wasn't always this way. This newsletter was the brainchild of Stewart Harris, who is presently the Chair of the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County. As a WYHS board member, Stewart observed that WYHS parents were often in the dark about the great things going on at school. "Send out a weekly newsletter, perhaps by e-mail," he suggested.

Originally, Highlites was a word document without pictures or graphics. Mrs. Claudia Cohen revolutionized Highlites into a multimedia newsletter. I wrote the text, she took and posted the pictures. It was a two man show.

Rabbi Josh Spodek took Highlites to a new level, transforming it into a student-created run publication, as he did with every aspect of WYHS that he touched. Never one to rest on his laurels, "RJS" lead two makeovers of the Highlites. As Rabbi Spodek assumes his principalship of the Cooper Yeshiva High School for Boys in Memphis, we express our deep gratitude, and wish him more peaceful Thursday nights. This is the last regular edition of Yeshiva Highlites for the school year. WYHS will be sending out two special editions before the summer- one covering graduation and the senior trip, and the other featuring our alumni's accomplishments this year.

All six years of the picture-filled Yeshiva Highlites are available by clicking here. We hope that they capture the energy and excitement of WYHS, and invite your feedback (just hit "reply" to this e-mail) as how to make the school and newsletter even better.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
photo gallery
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Graduation
    Sunday, June 1
    @ 12:00 pm

• Senior Trip
    Sunday, June 1

• Final Exams
    Tuesday, June 3-12

• Good & Welfare

Mazel tov to

Yocheved Popiol ('06) on her marriage to Joshua Ginsberg

Ilana Singer ('05) and Dovi Lamet ('05) on their engagement- WYHS' 5th Couple!

Condolences to

Rebbetzin Meira Davis on the loss of her mother

Refuah Shleima to

Mrs. Leah Pearl

Mr. Jules Weiss

Click on the Picture for an Incredible Video

Students at SLAB Salute Rabbi Spodek

WYHS' 3rd annual SLAB Awards

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

Students play a major role in every function of WYHS, from coordinating school events with the student council to contributing to the student-run newspaper. This past Friday, WYHS hosted its third annual S.L.A.B. (Student Leadership Award Banquet) awards in order to honor the student leaders of WYHS who run programs, publish newspapers, plan trips, and dedicate themselves to the school.

After a delicious breakfast of croissants, pancakes, waffles and juice, students were privileged to watch an unbelievable and humorous student- produced movie featuring all the committees in the school and their leaders. This skillfully-produced video saluted all the student leaders in WYHS who have worked selflessly to make this year the best one in school history. Every student who participated in a committee was presented with a framed picture of that committee which will enable students to cherish these memories for years to come.

This year's S.L.A.B. awards were dedicated to our beloved program director, Rabbi Josh Spodek, who will be leaving WYHS and taking on Tennessee as the principal of Cooper Yeshiva High School for Boys in Memphis. It is impossible to describe all that Rabbi Spodek has done for the schools since he joined the faculty six years ago. Since then, he has expertly planned, coordinated, and organized unbelievable chagigas, memorable class trips, incredible newsletters, a dedicated student council and so much more. Under his expert planning, Color War-one of the most anticipated times of the year-reached new heights. His selfless dedication and commitment to our school serves as an inspiration for everyone at WYHS. Rabbi Spodek is an ideal role model who, from day one, empowered students to take initiative and become leaders. He will forever be remembered, and greatly missed, at WYHS. Thanks for everything, Rabbi Spodek!

Thank you to all the devoted student leaders at WYHS who made this year one of the greatest years in the school's history!
    Click Here for Part 2 of the SLAB Video
    Click Here for Part 3 of the SLAB Video-Tribute To Rabbi Josh Spodek

Click on the Picture for an

Incredible Slideshow

Hebrew's Dramatic Side

WYHS' Girls' Hebrew play

By Holly Sue Hampton ('09)

One of the many exciting events during WYHS' Lag B'omer program was two Hebrew plays performed by Morah Nili Alcalay's classes to the girls. Hoping to start a new trend, they acted out sections of their respective Neta books in Hebrew after preparing during the two weeks leading up to the production.

The first class depicted a famous story about a king and the potential consequences of a simple misunderstanding.

The second play was a musical, with Juniors Nonny Gross on the guitar and Bayla Halbstein on vocals, that taught the importance of including everybody.

Both productions were a huge success and enjoyed by all, and the girls are anxiously awaiting to begin preparing for the next one!

Gearing up for 2009

Student Council Members

Campaign Away!

By Doron David ('09)

The common assumption of many is that the more popular candidate is the better candidate. However, in WYHS this is not the case. Students take the election process very seriously resulting in an extremely successful and productive Student Council each year.

The candidates start the week leading up to elections with a bang - signs, stickers, and lots and lots of candy!! This is all good and fun but not enough to win. The students look forward to the speeches that are held on the last day of school and base their votes on whoever seems most fit for the position. The positions available are: two Class Representatives from each grade , VP of Athletics, VP of Productions, VP of Programming, VP of Communications, VP of Torah Affairs, VP of Chessed, and two Student Council Presidents.

The system truly is a democracy and therefore each vote counts. Before running, the students are assessed and evaluated by the faculty and administration. This process ensures that the candidate is not only suitable for the position but responsible enough to be a student leader and represent the student body. I look forward to working with the students both elected and not elected in leading the school in the upcoming year.

Click on the Picture for an Incredible Video

The Storm that Kept On Brewing

WYHS Honors its Student Athletes

at Sports Award Banquet

By David Clements ('09)

This past Wednesday night, WYHS hosted its third annual Sports Recognition Dinner. It was a very exciting event that celebrated the dedication, sportsmanship, and athletic ability of every WYHS student-athlete from all ten teams.

A tremendously exciting and heart-pumping video was also shown to summarize and highlight all of the great accomplishments that WYHS student- athletes achieved this past school year. Such included Bassie Orzechowitz's ('08) memorable road to be named the co-state three point champion, Elie Baratz's ('08) two over-the-fence homeruns, Aryeh Genet's ('08) nomination to the All County First Team in Soccer, Zack Baratz's ('10) recording of the first no hit shutout in WYHS history, and the girl varsity basketball team's national championship at the annual Miami Beach tournament.

After giving each student-athlete a personalized trophy commemorating their accomplishments and dedication, the select outstanding student-athletes from each team received MVP and MIP awards.

This banquet was truly a great way to recognize the dedication, sportsmanship, and talents of every single student-athlete in a public setting. Thanks to all the fans, coaches, and student-athletes for making 5768 the best year in WYHS sports history and to Marcelle Bouganim and Shira Englander for putting this whole event together.

A very special thank you to Athletic Director Jon Kaweblum for his years of service, dedication and contributions to the WYHS sports program. You will be greatly missed.

Click Here for a tribute to Coach Jon

Behind the Scenes

with our Dedicated Highlites Staff

By Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)

Each week this year, a team of talented and dedicated students came together to create what you are reading now. The eve before the final edition of this year's highlites had arrived, I was privileged to speak to the members of the committee: Danielle Wolkowicz ('09), LeeLee Borzak ('10), Alana Dweck ('09), Daniella Greer('09), Josh Kaminetsky ('09), David Petrover ('10), Aleeza Rubin ('09), David Spektor ('10), about their time spent working on the Yeshiva Highlites.

What has your experience been like working for the Highlites?

Alana: Overall, the highlites has been a great learning experience that taught me to be an independant go-getter who can adapt and work as part of a team.

Aleeza: I really enjoyed the meetings. I like how we really are a team; without one of us, the highlites would not happen. Everyone works hard to get his or her job done, being that "it is an assembly line" and everyone is dependant on the person before them.

Josh: Tiring! My job is the last to get done so it often requires my staying up late Thursday night. But when I sit down at my desk Friday afternoon and see our final finished product, I know all the effort put in was well worth it.

What have you gained through your experience working on the highlites committee?

LeeLee: Aside from the weekly satisfaction of knowing that thousands of people around the world are reading what I have to say, I have come away from the highlites with improved writing skills.

David Petrover: The highlites gave me real life experience that I'll be able to learn from and use for the rest of my life.

Danielle: Through my role as editor-in-chief, I have learned priceless leadership skills and the ability to see a project to the end.

What has been your favorite memory working for the highlights?

Daniella: The interview I did with Mr Rosov. I learned so much from his life experience and his words truly inspired me. Also, the last meeting we had this week where we celebrated our last highlites really reminded me how much rewarding and fun working for the highlites has been.

David Spektor: Since I work with photo editing, I get to see the photos that don't make it into the highlites and some of them are really funny.

Danielle: Last week's SLAB video definitely was my favorite memory because it was so fun to produce.

How would you sum up Rabbi Spodek in one word?

LeeLee: Highlitestafic

Alana: Hardworking

David Spektor: Hardworking

Aleeza: Enthusiastic

Danielle: Driven

Josh: Inspirational

Any other comments?

Whole Highlites Committee: We would really like to thank from the bottom of our hearts the staff advisor, Rabbi Spodek. Without his support and guidance, the highlites would have in no way been what it has been. He has taught us so much about the importance of teamwork and he will be missed by all of us tremendously. Thank you Rabbi Spodek!!!

What's your favorite part of the highlites?

Polls and Numbers
    Interviews
    Pictures

View Results

poll poll poll poll

"Where in the College World

is Mrs. Roberts?”

By Mrs. Marcy Roberts, College Guidance

Aficionados of children’s television remember a popular PBS show called “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?” that aired during the 1990s. Nowadays, regulars of the NBC Today Show enjoy viewing “Where in the World is Matt Lauer?” WYHS is pleased to announce its very own version of this brainteaser: “Where in the College World is Mrs. Roberts?”

Our Director of College Guidance has been busy traveling the globe – or at least the northeastern part of the United States – visiting college campuses, meeting with admission officers, and discussing one of her favorite things: our wonderful WYHS students.

Now that she is back in Boca, you, too, can play “Where in the College World is Mrs. Roberts?” Just look at the pictures and name that college campus! Clues abound so look closely! Then test your college knowledge and answer the questions below.

“Where in the College World is Mrs. Roberts?” is open to all WYHS students, alumni, parents, teachers, families, and friends.

Cash and prizes will be awarded to the first ten responders who answer the most questions correctly. (Oops! This just in from the Chief – no cash, just fun summertime prizes.)

Follow these simple steps to play:
    1. Identify the college in each of the pictures.
    2. Answer the Super Sleuth questions below.
    3. Earn Bonus Points by naming the WYHS alumni and others in the photos.
    4. Email your answers to Mrs. Roberts at MMR@WYHS.NET.
    5. Remember, this is all in fun. But there really are prizes!

Don’t delay…play our game today!

Winners will be announced in a future edition of Highlights, so stay tuned. Good Luck!!

“Where in the College World is Mrs. Roberts?”
    1. Name this college.
    2. Double Bonus: Name the man in the photo with Mrs. Roberts.
    3. Name the complex where the new gym facilities at Lander College for Men are located.
    4. Where is this college located?
    5. How many girls eat in the “Caf” on a typical Shabbat at Stern? (Pick one answer.)
    A. 50-100 B. 100-150 C. 150-200 D. 200- 250 E. 250-300
    6. Bonus: Name the WYHS alumnae in the photo.
    7. Bonus: Name the WYHS alumni in the photo.
    8. Double Bonus: How is one of the persons named in number 7 above related to Mrs. Roberts?
    9. Triple Bonus: What did Mrs. Roberts have for dinner in the YU cafeteria?
    10. What is the nickname for the shuttle bus that runs between YU and Stern?
    11. Name this college.
    12. Name this college.
    13. What is the name of the new student activities center under construction at Barnard?
    14. Who is the new President of Barnard? Bonus: Where is she coming from?
    15. Toomas Hendrik Ilves, Columbia Class of ’76, is President of what country?
    16. Name the new Chancellor of List College of Jewish Studies (JTS).
    17. For how many hours did Columbia students dance at their 7th annual Dance Marathon to raise money for the Pediatric AIDS Foundation?
    18. Which college did Mrs. Roberts visit in the City of Brotherly Love?

" I am making Aliyah this summer.

I know that without the constant message conveyed

by WYHS about Israel and Zionism,

I wouldn't be on the path that I'm on now "

--Danielle Kowal ('04)

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
    This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433