Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Kedoshim
Friday, May 2nd, 2008
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 7:35

rpt

From the desk of

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

People are beginning to question if it is realistic to expect Holocaust and Israel be at the core of today's teenagers' Jewish identity. As the events of sixty years ago fade smaller and smaller into our collective rear view mirrors, they ask- should Yoms Hashoah, Hazikaron & Haatzmaut be celebrated in a different fashion? Can we expect the religion of "Never Again" and "Israel the underdog" to be at the core of a generation which remembers little, if nothing, before the year 2000?

The logic behind Rabbi Soloveitchik's previously unfathomable position that the Holocaust should be commemorated on Tisha B'av and not on a separate Yom Hashoah is beginning to become understandable. When the survivors (and anyone who knew them) will be gone, one can imagine that the Holocaust will stand out from the list of horrific, merciless mass murders of our people at the hands of Nebucanezer, Titus, Crusaders, Chimelnicki, and Torquemada only because we have film footage and tangible relics of it.

The State of Israel is now a prosperous, western country, whose army is not invicible, and whose leadership is plagued with embarrassing, sordid scandals. It is battle weary of fighting its neighbors and it wants to see people bent on its destruction as potential peace partners. As chametz became available on Pesach in restaurants in Jewish Jerusalem and a gay pride parade marches annually through its streets, it is understandable why people question if this is the beginning of the redemption for which we feverently pray.

I believe that Holocaust and Israel have an important role to play in our children's education. It is our responsibility to teach our children that anti Semitism is an unavoidable part of our destiny (halacha Eisav sonei Yaakov), and the Holocaust enables us to do this in an incomparably powerful way. We are unusually fortunate that our personal ancestors survived two thousand years of persecutions, and that does give us a solemn mandate to live as Jews.

Eretz Yisrael has been at the center of the Jew's identity, and our ability to visit, study and live there with relative ease is a true privilege. A modern society that speaks Hebrew peppered with Rabbinic idioms, whose year revolves around the Jewish holidays, and whose army assumes the responsibility of defending Jews anywhere offers something that America can never offer.

The Holocaust and Israel have a tremendous ability to inspire our children to greater commitment to their heritage. They are not a religion unto themselves, but important tools in our arsenal to inspire the next generation of Jewish teenagers to lead Jewish lives.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
photo gallery
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Rosh Chodesh Iyar
    Mon. - Tues., May 5-6

• Yom Hazikaron Program
    Wednesday, May 7

• South Palm Beach County
    Yom Haatzmaut Celebration
    @Mizner Park
    Wednesday, May 7 @ 6:00pm

• Yom Haatzmaut Program
    Thursday, May 8

• Freshmen Shabbaton
    Fri. - Sat., May 16-17

• Good & Welfare

Mazel tov to

Andre Jacobovitz ('02) on his engagement to Shalhevet Roth of Pittsburgh

Yael (Weiss '04) Orlinsky on being named Judaic Studies Valedictorian of Stern College

Condolences to

Mrs. Gail Kasztl on the loss of her brother

Mrs. Debbie Heber & Rabbi Howard Seif on the loss of their father

Rabbi Howard Shub on the loss of his mother

Click on the Picture for an Incredible Slideshow

Never Forget

A Stirring Yom HaShoah Program

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

As high school students in the 21st century, the unfathomable horrors of the Holocaust are sometimes difficult to grasp. However, WYHS' unbelievable Yom HaShoah-Holocaust memorial day-presentation offered different ways to view this time of terror and allowed each student to truly connect to this time in Jewish history.

Upon entering the school, students were simply awe-struck by what they saw. The walls were covered in black, pictures of victims were hung up, and anti-Semitic slogans were painted on the walls to create the feeling of the Holocaust. It made an impression on the students and set the tone for the rest of the day. What really impacted students was the word "Jew" written on the walls six million times to represent the six million Jews murdered in the Holocaust. It was simply overwhelming to see the same word over and over which really helped students comprehend the staggeringly high number of lost lives. As explained eloquently by Vice President of Torah Affairs, Avital Abir ('08), each one of those victims was a walking, talking, breathing person with his or her own personal life. Each row of the word "Jew" could be viewed as a family or group of friends lost in the Holocaust. To further the connection with the victims, students were each given a card with a victim's story on it. As students entered the ball room, Student Council Presidents Julie Rosenberg ('08) and Anosh Zaghi ('08) recited names of those who perished. Other members of the Student Council told stories of those who suffered during the Holocaust.

Every student lit a candle in memory of those who perished during the Holocaust and in hopes of continuing on their legacy. Students had the opportunity to dedicate their candles to specific members of their family by reciting their names after lighting the candle, which made the presentation even more meaningful on an individual level.

Another destructive aspect to the Holocaust was the pre-war attempts at assimilation. Students viewed clips from the movie Sunshine, which showed that even Jews who "converted" were victims of the Holocaust. This presentation made Yom HaShoah even more thought-provoking.

Students were then honored to hear from Mr. Rosov, a Jewish history scholar and a beloved member of the WYHS faculty. Mr. Rosov has been teaching at WYHS for seven years and has spent his entire adult life in education, primarily teaching about the Holocaust, anti-Semitism, and the birth of the state of Israel. He was one of fifteen people selected from two hundred candidates to interview Holocaust survivors in South Florida for Steven Spielberg's Shoah Foundation. He taught students about the dangers of anti-Semitism and the importance of Jewish continuity. Our existence is a continuation of those who were killed and we must be activists in order to prevent such atrocities from occurring again. To end the presentation, Executive Director Shimmie Kaminetsky recited Kaddish and K- el Maleh Rachamim in honor of the six million Jewish lives lost.

Thank you so much to the Student Council for dedicating their time to create a truly intense, inspirational, and moving Yom HaShoah and to Barry and Dana Schechter for sponsoring this event in memory of Charles Schechter (Yekutiel ben Yissocher Dov) and the six million martyrs who perished in the shoah.

WELCOME BACK

CLASS OF 2007!

Newest Alumni Return

for a Pre-Pesach Visit

By Raquel Amram ('07)

On Wednesday before Pesach, the girls of the class of 2007 had the chance to come back home to WYHS. The sounds of girls shrieking filled the hallways as we greeted our former classmates. It was as if we had never left (except for the unfamiliar freshmen).

We were welcomed with open arms by our teachers and like true WYHS hospitality, were treated to a delicious Jon's Place lunch. We discussed our first year out of high school and compared our individual experiences. It felt like we were still in WYHS! The teachers, who most of us have kept in touch with, ate lunch with us and were genuinely interested in catching up, illustrating the close relationship teachers and alumni share at WYHS.

Mrs. Kanner delivered a beautiful shiur which really enhanced our Sederim. Mrs. Kanner was our role model when we were in high school and will forever continue to inspire us with her incredible words of Torah. Her teaching is incomparable and it was a zechut to be able to hear her genius again.

Afterwards, we sat with the 12th grade girls in a "question and answer" session and were treated to Gelatto ice cream. They asked us questions about the post-high school year in Israel: what to expect, and most importantly, what to bring. Some asked specific seminary questions, while others were more general. It gave them the opportunity to ask questions to people who know the answers first-hand and we were glad to help. Our visit to WYHS brought back our amazing memories of our high school career and provided us with a deeper appreciation of our excellent education.

GO STORM!

Baseball Team Has

Record This Season

By Elie Baratz ('08)

This year, the Varsity baseball team returned more players from the previous year than ever before and were therefore expecting great things from this team. Last year's team was a little disappointing having only won one game but showed great signs for the future and those signs all seemed to come together this season.

The beginning of the schedule was a tough one as the team opened with three straight loses but bounced back winning their next three games including a trouncing of Berean Christian whom the storm have never before been able to beat and wins against Jewish rivals Hillel and Donna Klein. The rest of the season was a bit disappointing until the penultimate game of the year in which Zack Baratz threw the schools second ever no hitter and first no-hit shut out. The Storm won easily and with that win doubled the school record for wins in a year by winning four games. The year ended a little abruptly as the district playoffs were held during Pesach. The team could, therefore, not participate and possibly have a chance to finish off their best season to date with a so far elusive district victory.

The improvements in this year's team were due to Coach Errol Thomas' tireless efforts to teach the game in the very limited time that he had to do so. This work paid tremendous dividends throughout the lineup as can be seen in the vast improvements both in terms of hitting and fielding. Lior Goldstien was the perfect leadoff hitter. His on base percentage was among the leaders on the team, and his speed allowed him to steal a number of bases and set up scoring chances for the Storm. His center field play was also great, and he was responsible for saving many runs with his brilliant catches.

Yoel Goldberg and David Clements were sure handed gloves in the field and were also able to produce at the plate in a big way. Yoni Levenson, Hillel Gittler and Moshe Hersher were a tremendous help in those categories as well. Junior, Doron David, was a huge asset to the team both at the plate and in the field, but his biggest contribution was from the mound - leading the best pitching staff the team has ever had.

David Rand also stepped up big time in his hitting, to being one of the teams most consistent hitters. Freshmen Mattew Jacoby, Yisroel Gold and Zack Rabb have big things expected of them in the coming years, as does utility player Matt Orlinsky. I would also like to personally thank Ari Grumberg for pinch running for me just about every time I managed to get on base and adding very much needed speed to the team.

Click on the Picture for an Incredible Slideshow

Mass Hair Cutting & Matzah Baking

Chesed and Fun-filled Pre-Pesach Yom Iyun

Girls Upsherin & Shiurim

By Keren Marks ('10)

On Monday April 14th, the week of Pesach, the students of WYHS were privileged to participate in an inspiring and exciting Yom Iyun. The purpose of the Yom Iyun was to prepare students for the upcoming observance of Pesach on Saturday night of that same week. After breakfast, all the girls assembled in the ballroom in anticipation of the second annual upsherin in the history of WYHS, where girls donate their hair to kids with cancer.

Before the event began, Ellen Shemesh, the Special Project Coordinator of Chai Lifeline, spoke to the girls about the importance of cutting their hair and the amazing Mitzvah they do in bringing joy and happiness to those children. Mrs. Shemesh was happy to answer any questions the nervous girls had regarding the amount of hair they had to cut (12 inches, in case some of you are still unsure) and the general inquiries about Chai Lifeline programs. Following the speech, Hadassah Tirschwell, who was also donating her hair, gave a beautiful Dvar Torah regarding why we at WYHS have an upsherin specifically before Pesach and emphasized the amazing Chesed we do by such a seemingly simple Mitzvah.

Then, the anticipated cutting ceremony began and Nava Gross, Hadassah Tirschwell, Melanie Miller, Sara Shabtai and Keren Marks stepped to the front of the room, filled with both excitement and nervousness. With the support and encouragement of the cheering crowd, the girls bravely shed their locks. Afterwards, the Judaic female staff rotated in a round robin where each grade of girls was privileged to learn a short idea from each of their teachers. Thank you to Mrs. Schochet, Mrs. Horowitz, Mrs. Grossman and Mrs. Jacob for providing the girls with a new perspective on the story of the Hagada.

The fun and educational morning was a great way of preparing ourselves for Pesach and gaining an insight into the Seder night as well as appreciating the amazing opportunity Hashem gives us in our daily life to perform such acts of kindness. Yeshar Koach to our dear WYHS girls whose excitement encouraged their friends to donated their hair for such a great cause!

Boys Matza Factory & Divrei Torah

By Joshua Stadlan ('11)

WYHS students aren't your average high schoolers; they're farmers and bakers on the side!

As part of a pre-Pesach workshop, WYHS hosted Tzivos Hashem's complete model matzah factory. Boys in all grades experienced a unique hands-on lesson on the mitzvah and making of matzah, learning all the steps, starting with the separation of grain from the chaff. After excitedly answering Pesach questions and reviewing matzah's halachic guidelines, the guys got to work. With bakers' hats on their heads and flour on their cheeks, the students threshed, winnowed, blew, grinded, churned, sifted, poured, mixed, kneaded, rolled, perforated, baked, and made a l'chaim on grape juice, all under the required 18 minutes. Well, sort of. Although the matzah wasn't exactly Kosher for Passover, everyone enjoyed munching and crunching on their delicious chef- d'oeuvre throughout the remainder of the Pesach program.

Up Close and Personal

with Mr. Chaim Rosov

By Daniella Greer ('09)

This week on Yom Hashoah, the students at WYHS were privileged to hear from our extremely beloved and sagacious teacher, Mr. Chaim Rosov about the importance of Yom Hashoah. Mr. Rosov, who currenttly teaches Jewish History to the seniors, had been chosen by acclaimed filmmaker Steven Speilberg to interview survivors for the Shoah foundation. I was more then honored to speak to Mr. Rosov about his remarkable life experiences, involvement with the Shoah Foundation, and cherished years teaching at WYHS.

What motivated you to get involved with the project?

Mr. Rosov: My parents were of Polish and Russian extraction and their parents and most of my relatives remained in Russia and Poland when my grandparents emmigrated to the United States at the turn of the Century. During the Holocaust, only six members of my family survived and I felt that I had the obligation to those members of my family who perished to tell their story through those members of Klal Yisroel who were fortunate enough to survive.
    From all of the 100 survivors you spoke to, what were some of the most powerful stories you heard?

Mr. Rosov: I videotaped a women who shared the same barrack as Anne Frank and her sister before their deaths, a man who fought and survived the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, and a man who concealed his Jewish identity from 1939-1943 and became an officer in the Polish Army.
    Does teaching about the Holocaust ever get emotionally hard for you?

Mr. Rosov: It's a joy. Young people now don't know much about the Holocaust; they only know a general overview. I'm able to teach them about the factors that led up to the Holocaust and convey to them that the holocaust was no accident of history, but rather a culmination of the unbridled hatred of various European nations.
    Out of all your years of teaching, what has been your favorite memory?

Mr. Rosov: Seeing my alumni and hearing from them how much they learned from me. Additionally, I love to hear from my students what they think they would have done if they were placed in certain situations. One of my favorite things is getting my students to think and then hearing from them what they have derived from my lessons.
    Because this is your final year here, how would you sum up your whole teaching experience at WYHS?

Mr. Rosov: I love the school and kids. I view all my students as my grandchildren and I view the school as if it's my family. My teaching job here has been the joy of my life and the teachers here have been the finest teachers I've ever encountered.
    What final message would you like to leave your students with?

Mr. Rosov: Be vigilant, be active Jews, be aware of issues that our people continue to face, and take political action. Don't rely on others to fight for Jewish causes-whether they be in the U.S., in Israel, or throughout the world.

As AP season kicks off at WYHS - we want to know from you, our readers, which AP exam will be the toughest?

English Literature
    European History
    Chemistry
    Psychology

View Results

poll poll poll poll

" The Yom Hashoah program was extremely powerful

and moving. It really evoked such emotion in all of us.

It taught me that I have to live my life in the best way

possible for the sake of the six million Jews whose lives

were cut short. "

--Nava Gross ('11)

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
    This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433