Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Pekudei
Friday, March 7, 2008
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 6:08

rpt

From the desk of

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

What type of student does WYHS seek to enroll?

WYHS wants to admit every student who applies to our school. By applying, a child is saying that he/she desires our 50/50 Judaic/college preparatory studies curriculum, and longs for our combination of academic challenge and spiritual inspiration. In fact, almost all of the students who apply to WYHS are invited to join the student body.

Why would WYHS not accept a student? Firstly, if WYHS would actually hurt the student academically. Despite WYHS' multiple levels in each subject, not every student can handle a dual curriculum. It's not fair to take such a student, because he/she will not be able to graduate from our high school or gain acceptance to college.

Secondly, WYHS' most solemn responsibility is to protect its students. It is our duty to our parents and students not to accept a student who we believe would pose as a risk to other students.

Lastly, WYHS' raison d'etre is to inspire Jewish teenagers to choose to lead Jewishly-committed lives. There are teenagers who will be turned off to Judaism by daily davening, a conservative dress code, and not starting what most Americans consider high school until after lunch.

WYHS loves parents, but in admissions, cares about the students. Sometimes a parent wants a child to come to WYHS, but the child is not interested. It isn't fair to subject a teenager who really isn't interested in the demanding and all encompassing WYHS experience.

G-d willing, WYHS is going to enroll its largest class yet in September. As our school passes the 200 student mark, we are as concerned for each and every student as the day we opened our doors ten years ago to 41 intrepid teenagers.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
photo gallery
yeshivin

10 Year Anniversary Journal Dinner

Tuesday, March 25 @ 6:00pm

• Join the Tribute Committee
  • Download the Ad Blank

Tribute Committee (in formation)
    Leslie & Sal Abady
    Pamela & Prosper Abitbol
    Ellen & Jay Adler
    Idit & Jonathan Agus
    Diane & Jeffrey Aiken
    Anonymous
    Lisa & Phil Baratz
    Alyssa & Menachem Baumgarten
    Evelyn & Al Begas
    Deborah & David Benaim
    Helene & Abbey Berkowitz
    Batzi & Billy Berman
    Carol & Howard Bienenfeld
    Elaine & Mark Birnbaum
    BNY Mellon
    Deena & Steve Borzak
    Liz & Joel Brauser
    Broad and Cassel
    Stacey & Howard Busch
    Ray Castel
    Yael & Steve Charlap
    Claudia & Doug Cohen
    Shulamit & Stephen Danis
    Mona & Alan Fisher
    Tilda & Mark Fisher
    Susan & William Ganz
    Judy & Tony Gelbart
    Dorit & Ben J. Genet
    Monica & David Genet
    Debbie & Zvi Gold
    Rachel & Neil Greenbaum
    Miriam & Levi Grunhaus
    Ana & Stanley Haar
    Jodi & Jeffrey Harris
    Anita & Samuel Heering
    Shari & Moshe Hirth
    Elaine & Merv Jacobs
    Sarah & Steven Jacoby
    Melanie & Bernie Kaminetsky
    Sue & Dan Kaskel
    Caroline & Daniel Katz
    Judy & Moshe Klein
    Judi & Gary Krasna
    Ann & Mark Lamet
    Lori & Harold Landa
    Ellen & Jon Lasko
    Arlene & Sam Lasko
    Marissa & David Levenson
    Ruth & Gideon Losinski
    MDVIP
    Joyce & David Muller
    Cheryl & Ari Pearl
    Fay & Jose Poliak
    Brenda & Alan Pritzker
    Jill & Michael Rose
    Elanna & Gary Rosenbaum
    Hindy & Stuart Rubin
    Diane & Ben Saketkhou
    Chani & Bennett Salamon
    Dana & Barry Schecter
    Naomi & Reid Shapiro
    Yael & Ephraim Sobol
    Ellen & Zorik Spektor
    Sharon & Marshall Stauber
    Loren & Eric Stein
    Linda & Ted Struhl
    Haya & David Tepper
    Barbara & Donald Tirschwell
    Rabbi Perry & Miriam Tirschwell
    Pam & Jonathan Turk
    Miriam & Chaim Wielgus
    Fay & Jeffrey Wolkowicz

• Upcoming Events

• Adar Costume Contest
    Friday, March 14

• WOMAD Shabbaton
    Friday and Saturday, March 14-15

• Good & Welfare

• Mazel tov to Lori Beth & Yehoshua Schlinsky on being honored at the Young Israel of Hollywood dinner

• Mazel tov to Lisa & Phil Baratz and Sarah & Steven Jacoby on being honored at the BMA dinner

•  

Click on the Picture for an Incredible JR Ski Trip Video

Hitting the Slopes!

The Junior Class' Amazing Class Trip

By Doron David ('09)

Every WYHS graduate will tell you that one of their favorite WYHS experiences is the Junior Ski trip. This week, the class of '09 had the privilege of going skiing in North Carolina. This four day event started with a long, but amazing bus ride. Tons of snacks and movies kept everyone happy. Upon arrival at 6:00 am in North Carolina, the games began. The minute we walked off the bus, a "snowball war" broke out.

After settling into our houses, everyone davened and had a quick bite to eat. Then, we hit the slopes for what was the most fun we've ever had. When the skiing was over for the day, we headed back to the houses for an awesome BBQ and davened while overlooking a beautiful lake. At night, we were given the option of going night skiing or tubing. Both groups will tell you how much fun they had.

During all of the meals each one of us had a specific duty or toranut, which allowed for everything to be prepared and cleaned to perfection.

The next morning, a torrential rain storm greeted us when we woke up, but that didn't stop us from enjoying our trip. Instead of skiing, we went to a local bowling alley/ arcade and made the best of what we had. We then went back, packed our stuff, and headed home. About half way through the ride home, we stopped on the side of the highway and had a final BBQ and kumzitz with guitars and a lot of singing to end this amazing trip off right.

I would like to give a special thanks to Claudia Cohen, Rabbi Schochet, and all of the alumni chaperones who helped make this the most incredible trip ever. The memories that were created on this trip will be cherished and never forgotten.

Remembering a Pillar

of the Community

WYHS' Azkarah for Elie Berdugo z"l

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

Recently, Boca Raton and WYHS lost an important member of their communities-- Elie Berdugo z"l. Mr. Berdugo was one of the founders of WYHS and a full supporter of the dream to build a high school over ten years ago.

To commemorate his untimely passing, WYHS students and faculty committed to learn the six Sidrei Mishna and on Thursday, WYHS students, faculty, and friends and family of Elie Berdugo came together to make a siyum. We were privileged to hear from WYHS students who were touched by Mr. Berdugo. Michael Mizrahi ('10), Tamar Buzaglo ('09), Yoni Levenson ('09), Sasan Peimani ('08), Ben Scheiner ('09), and Anosh Zaghi ('08) spoke beautifully about how Elie Berdugo made a difference in their lives and was their role model.

Hearing about how students personally benefited from Mr. Berdugo's unbelievable wisdom and sterling character truly enabled other students who may have not been fortunate enough to know him, really feel the loss of such an incredible individual. Rabbi Sugerman, who was privileged to learn every day with Mr. Berdugo, explained to the students just how much of a hero Elie truly was.

Thanks to this meaningful Azkarah, students and faculty of WYHS truly comprehended how much Elie Berdugo contributed to the community and how much he will be missed.

Gearing Up for Next Year

WYHS Offers New Courses in

2008 - 2009

By Dr. Laura Becker, Director of College Prep. Studies

Course selection sheets for current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors went home several weeks ago, and almost all have been filled out and returned. Planning for next year is proceeding apace.

This year's sheets were a bit different. While freshman and sophomore science looks much the same, we have made a concerted effort to expand options for juniors and seniors, adding AP Environmental Science and Conceptual Physics to the possible choices.

To give both juniors and seniors more options, most of the advanced sciences will be offered to both grades together. Senior math classes will likewise cover a wider range of subjects than ever before.

As for electives, the administration brainstormed about a variety of topics, both to offer students an opportunity to explore different interests and to continue to an advanced level as seniors (through AP Studio Art and Spanish III) if they so desired. While final course offerings are dependent on student interest, among the new possibilities on this year's course selection sheets are Public Speaking/Debate, Business and Marketing, Creative Writing, Photography/ Videography, and Instrumental Music, along with the new advanced courses mentioned above and traditional favorites- Art, Jewish Studies, Spanish I and II, and Test Prep.

Stay tuned to see what courses make it onto the official WYHS schedule in 5769!

Up Close and Personal

with Mrs. Loren Stein

By Daniella Greer ('09)

For the last two years, the very talented Mrs. Loren Stein has been teaching art at WYHS. She has taught her students how to create beautiful works of art as well as art history. Mrs. Stein has an extremely impressive education with a BA in architect design from the University of Florida, a masters degree from MIT School of Design, and has attended several classes at Harvard University. I was privileged to speak to Mrs. Stein about her passion for art and her love for teaching.

What is your favorite part of being an art teacher?

Mrs. Stein: My favorite thing is walking into the classroom. Seeing my students' happy faces and listening to their questions is extremely rewarding. Years ago, I never thought I would be a teacher which is so funny because being a teacher has been the greatest experience I've had.
    What has inspired your passion for art?

Mrs. Stein: I've had a flair for art ever since I was born. Studying architecture in Italy increased my passion. I always walk around with a sketch book. Everything I see, I see in the perspective of art.
    WYHS is planning on adding AP Studio Art for next year. What do you think students should know about the class?

Mrs. Stein: I'm fortunate to be in a position where more students are applying then I have room for. I'm hoping it will be an inspiring class for students looking for a career in an art field such as graphics, fashion, architect design, and fine arts.
    How do you decide what projects the students will be doing?

Mrs. Stein: I have decided to go with integrating students' history curriculum with art. For example, 9th grade is studying Ancient Civilizations, so the projects have been Egyptian hieroglyphics, pottery, ancient jewelry making, and portraits of famous world icons. 10th grade is studying European History so they learn about Van Gogh style, room perspectives, and romantic period portraits. 11th grade studied American artists and have created agam style projects. Now they're incorporating American art into an old world American style quilt.

400 Number of Tradition soups bought for the Junior Trip

50 Number of Tradition Soups actually eaten during the Junior Trip

5 Number of hours the average junior slept during the Junior Trip

10 Number of times juniors had to bring their skis to and from the mountain

" The Elie Burdugo memorial service was so moving.

I learned so much about this heroic and incredible man.

I was extremely inspired."

-- Emily Waxman ('09)

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
    This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433