Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Terumah
Friday, February 8, 2008
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 5:50

rpt

From the desk of

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

How much leeway should a parent give a teenager religiously? Should parents attempt to inspire their children to be exactly like them? This question is particularly pressing for parents who did not grow up in observant households- should they let their children find their own way to Torah just like they did?

Parents should concentrate on painting yellow, not white, lines on the highway. I believe it is our responsibility to share our worldview with our children. However, a parent has to distinguish between what he/she prefers and what he/she expects. For example, marrying someone committed to creating a Jewish home is a yellow line, but a prospective spouse's background (Ashkenazic/ Sephardic/ Falashan, BT/FFB, rich/poor, intact family/ divorced etc.) is a white line.

Every child has to make a decision about how observant he or she wants to be (even the son or daughter of a rabbi). Those of us who work with teenagers do so because it is during the teenage years that many people figure out how religious they want to be. Others, make these decisions in college. A significant group will not decide until they have children.

A parent's yellow lines play an important role in that decision. G-d programmed children (even when they grow up) to want to be like and please their parents. If a parent made Judaism pleasant and positive, if a parent portrayed observance as enriching and ennobling, if a parent treated Torah like the life sustaining water, a child will most probably choose that path in life.

Every day, parents make decisions about which battles to fight and which to ignore or when to give in. When it comes to religious issues, I think it is helpful to contemplate what will contribute to attaining the long term prize- children and grandchildren who are committed Jews.

By the way, there are a few more copies of the DVD of Guys and Dolls available for purchase. Please e-mail Mrs. Liz Saddler to purchase a copy.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
photo gallery
yeshivin

10th Anniversary Dinner Tribute Committee in formation
Jay & Ellen Adler Alan & Mona Fisher Sam & Arlene Lasko
Jonathan & Idit Agus William & Susan Ganz Jon & Ellen Lasko
Phil & Lisa Baratz Ben J. & Dorit Genet David & Marissa Levenson
Menachem & Alyssa Baumgarten David & Monica Genet Gideon & Ruth Losinski
David & Deborah Benaim Neil & Rachel Greenbaum Jose & Fay Poliak
Abbey & Helene Berkowitz

Stanley & Ana Haar

Barry & Dana Schechter
Billy & Batzi Berman Jeffrey & Jodi Harris Ted & Linda Struhl
Howard & Carol Bienenfeld Samuel & Anita Heering David & Haya Tepper
Steve & Deena Borzak Gary & Judi Krasna Jonathan & Pam Turk
Doug & Claudia Cohen Harold & Lori Landa  

Upcoming Events

• Girls Varsity B-ball Tournament
    This Saturday Night, Feb. 6 @ Midnight
    Championship Game in Miami Beach

• Prospective Student BBQs
    Sunday, Feb. 10 at 1:00pm
    at homes of Rabbi Tirschwell and Mrs. Kanner

• Presidents Weekend - No School
    Sunday-Monday, Feb. 17-18

• Good & Welfare

Mazel Tov
  • Sarah (Suri Hoenig '02) and Eric Kinzbrunner on the birth of Eliyahu Eliezer

• Shoshan (Kowal '02) and Shmaayah Levy on the birth of a son

• Melissa Marder ('04) on her engagement to Josh Glaser of Oceanside

• Ziyona Rantz ('06) on her engagement to Elazar Weiner, formerly of Chicago

• Dina (Turetsky '04) and Jonathan Dobkowski on their marriage

• Chava Turk ('02) on earning her MA in Secondary Math Education

• Yael (Weiss '04) and Yonaton Orlinsky on their marriage

Refuah Shleima
  • Ann Berman
  • Peggy Levy
  • Brandon Rainbeau

Condolences

• Mrs. Karen Albert on the loss of her father

• Mrs. Linda Mann on the loss of her father

• 10th Year Anniversary Journal Dinner

Tuesday, March 25 @ 6:00pm

• Click Here to Join the Tribute Committee

• Click Here to Download the Ad Blank

•  

WYHS' 10th Anniversary

Alumni Shabbaton

was a smashing success!

By Rebecca (Levin '05) Mayer

An incredible part of one's high school experience at WYHS is the opportunity to build relationships with teachers. Teachers do more than teach, they open their hearts (and many times even their homes) to students. One might think that this bond may dwindle as time flies by after high school, but this past Shabbat showed that the bonds forged at WYHS are unbreakable. With anticipation and excitement, over 60 alumni and faculty members met in Fair Lawn, New Jersey to share another Shabbat together with their WYHS family.

The shabbaton was a smashing success. The food was good but the company was better. For many it was a much needed trip down memory lane. Between awe-inspiring divrei Torah to classic WYHS shabbaton games, everyone had a fantastic time.

Thank you to Rabbi Josh Spodek (who coordinated the entire weekend), Mrs. Shira Englander (who arranged the housing and the flights), Mr. Shimmie Kaminetsky (who arranged the food and the rides), Mrs. Grossman (who created the game show with Mrs. Greer), Rabbi and Mrs. Horowitz, Mrs. Kanner and Rabbis Sugerman and Tirschwell for planning the event, recruiting alumni and coming to New Jersey for Shabbat. We greatly appreciate the school making its alumni such a high priority.

Yeshiva University

MODEL UN XVIII

WYHS Alum is Secretary General

By Chana Brauser ('10)

At the beginning of this week, fifteen students ranging from sophomores to seniors were privileged to attend Yeshiva University's National Model United Nations, or YUNMUN.

While some were "experienced delegates" and others were attending for the first time, the entire group had a truly enlightening and exciting experience. The conference took place at the beautiful Sheraton hotel in Stamford, Connecticut. (Incidentally, the hotel was also being used as a filming location for a movie, and the appearance of all the movie cameras was an excellent break for the delegates.)

The delegates spent three days passionately defending and arguing sensitive topics pertinent to their committees. The topics included nuclear war in Iran, women's rights, and world hunger. Following many hours of frenzied placard-raising (each delegate was given a placard with their country's name printed on it) and heated debates, all the delegates were treated to an awards ceremony, in which three members of each committee were given awards.

Congratulations to Martha Baumgarten, a member of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on receiving an honorable mention for her efforts. Although the team spent almost as much time in the airport as they did at the hotel (about 7 hours, to be specific), the overall reaction to the trip was a sense of accomplishment, a deepened awareness of pressing world issues, and pledges to keep in touch with dozens of new friends.

Boys Varsity Basketball

Surprise Ending to a Great Season

By Elie Baratz ('08)

The boys varsity basketball team, after playing a few weaker teams in a row, faced off against some tough competitors. Despite the fact that the Storm was not able to come away with wins in these games, the team played great basketball, losing by only single digits to teams that had previously beaten them by many more or had beaten teams that had destroyed the Storm.

After being given a by in the first round of the playoffs, this past week the team played their first playoff game. Before the game started, sharpshooters Matt Orlinsky and Ronnie Rosenbaum won the first-round of the three point shooting contest, and are both looking forward to winning the in the finals on Saturday night.

The Storm went in to the game heavy favorites, but did not play like it at first, holding only a small lead going into halftime. The Storm came out of halftime determined to blow the game open in the second half. The game stayed close for a while but eventually, poor shooting and some missed calls, plus Boca Christian's playing the game of their lives led to possibly the biggest upset in WYHS history.

The loss means that the team won't be given the chance to avenge their tough loss to Grandview Prep in last year's district championship, and means that they will miss out on the regional semi-finals. Despite the tough loss, the team hopes to regroup and use it as inspiration to win the Sarachek tournament in New York in March.

Bagels, Breakfast, and Babies

Double Adar Ushered in with a Double Celebration

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

It is said that "Mishenichnas Adar Marbim BeSimcha" -"with the beginning of the month of Adar, rejoicing is increased." As seen through the lively Rosh Chodesh Chagiga earlier this week, WYHS held true to these words as we celebrated both the month of Adar and the births of two new WYHS faculty babies.

Students and teachers entered the beautifully decorated ballroom and were greeted by a delicious bagel breakfast. Chazak supplied the music and students supplied the dancing to create a ruach-filled Rosh Chodesh Chagigah.

One of the defining factors of WYHS is the closeness between the students and teachers. Whenever a teacher has a baby, the entire school celebrates with a "Baby Bash." This Rosh Chodesh, we celebrated the birth of Shoshana Malka Schochet, daughter of Rabbi and Mrs. Schochet, and Menachem Yehuda Grossman, son of Mrs. Grossman. Welcome to the WYHS family!

Thanks so much to Program Directors Rabbi Spodek and Rabbi Houben, Vice President of Programming Racheli Kaplan ('09) and the entire Rosh Chodesh Committee for a wonderful Chagigah!

Up Close and Personal

with Mrs. Grossman & Mrs. Schochet

By Daniella Greer ('09)

This past Wednesday, WYHS held a Baby Bash in honor of the birth of a son to the Grossman family and the birth of a daughter to the Schochet family. I spoke to Mrs. Schochet and Mrs. Grossman about teaching and how they each felt celebrating the birth of a new child with the entire school.

What aspect of teaching do you find most rewarding?

Mrs. Grossman: The relationships I have formed with my students.

Mrs. Schochet: Being there for my students, keeping in touch with the alumni, and the close connection I have with all of my students.

Throughout all your years teaching at WYHS, what has been your proudest moment?

Mrs. Grossman: After the students leave, we keep in touch with each other, and what makes me the most proud is when a student will refer back to something we learned together in High-School.

Mrs. Schochet: Being at my graduates' weddings.

How was celebrating the new addition to your family with the entire student body?

Mrs. Grossman: It was an extremely special celebration for me. Just don't let my other children know about it, because I didn't tell them and they would have wanted to go.

Mrs. Schochet: It definitely completed the simcha! My daughter was introduced to the students, and she became part of the school.

After teaching Navi for so many years, what lesson has impacted you the most that you would like to share with the students?

Mrs. Grossman: No matter what Sefer I'm about to start with a class, I always start with teaching them a saying from Gemara Megillah, "Those prophesies that were relevant were recorded, and those that weren't, were not recorded." I teach them this to show that all the ideas we learn are relevant to our lives and we can find meaning in every little topic we learn about in Navi.

Mrs. Schochet: When Dovid Hamelech said "I have sinned", we learn that no matter what we may have done or what sin we may have committed, we are always able to return to Hashem.

5 Number of children of alumni at the Alumni Sabbaton

7 Number of years represented at the Alumni Shabbaton

50 Number of cream cheese balls used to smear friends' faces on Rosh Chodesh Adar

4 Number of babies born to faculty members this school year

"Thank you for such an amazing

Shabbat!! I felt like I was home again!"

Raquel (Rachel Rivkah) Amram ('07)

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433