Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Vayechi
Friday, December 21, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 5:15

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

What is our school's philosophy about college guidance? Where do we want to see WYHS graduates go?

Our school's mission, to inspire and challenge, guides us in the college arena as well. When they leave WYHS' hallowed halls, our graduates want to continue their religious and academic growth. It is our job to help them identify schools at which this can, and most probably will, happen.

You can't judge a college's religious atmosphere by the number of Jews on campus, or its academics according to its ranking by US News and Report. One has to judge the school by how day school grads actually do there.

On Friday night, is there a significant group that "does shabbos" who won't go to the party, game or bar? Are there enough observant students to date? Do the day school grads sow their wild oats for four years, or do they create a strong observant community whose centripetal force pulls others in?

Approximately sixty percent of our students come to the conclusion that the logical choice for a day school grad is Yeshiva University. It offers the dual curriculum that we offer, on a collegiate level. YU boasts 3,000 observant undergraduates and has an excellent record of graduate school admissions. In the past five years under the visionary leadership of President Richard Joel, the academics are truly being "taken up a notch."

Some of our students crave and will flourish in the deeply intellectual atmosphere of an Ivy League. There are some students for whom being in an environment in which they have to choose to be observant will strengthen them. There are a select number of campuses which possess a significant observant community.

We congratulate our students who were accepted this week to Barnard, Binghamton, Cornell, NYU, Rutgers, Stern College, University of Pennsylvania, and Yeshiva University. As they each send in their deferrals to enable them to study in Israel, we look forward to their continued search for inspiration and challenge at the university level.

I invite freshman and sophomore parents, who are just embarking on their college guidance journey, to a meeting with our Director of College Guidance, Mrs. Marcy Roberts. This Wednesday night at 8:00pm at the school, she will help you to interpret the PSAT scores you just received, the PLAN exam the sophomores just took, and tell you what you should be doing now to help your child prepare for higher education.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
photo gallery
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Shabbaton for Miami Beach
    Families and Sophomores

Friday, December 21-22 in Miami Beach

• Senior Boys Night Out
    Tuesday, December 25 at 3:45pm
    @ Loggers Run Park

• College Guidance Meeting
    for 9th and 10th Grade Parents

Wednesday, December 26 at 8:00pm

• Girls JV Basketball and
    Boys JV Basketball
    vs Faculty Members

Saturday, December 29
    beginning at 8:00 pm

• No Classes
    Tuesday, January 1

• Auditions for Spring Comedy
    Wednesday, January 2

• Click Here To Order
    Your Storm Klipped Kippahs

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov To:

• Grossman family on naming their son, Menachem Yehuda

• Schochet family on naming their daughter, Shoshana Malka

Condolences To:

• Mrs. Hana Marin on the loss of her mother

•  

Click On Picture For an Amazing Slideshow

Lights, Camera, Action!

WYHS Drama Department Presenst Guys and Dolls

By Rachel Benaim ('10)

The largest drama audience in WYHS history packed Zinman Hall this past Tuesday night to view a truly captivating production of the musical comedy Guys and Dolls. Over four hundred women filled Zinman Hall with laughter, as the cast of 30 students transformed into their respective roles. The energy on the stage was contagious.

Guys and Dolls was the most complex show that WYHS has ever produced. It had the largest cast, the most involved choreography, and the most frequent change of costumes. The cast rehearsed for months, multiple hours, three nights a week. This daunting schedule helped the thespians bond as a cast. It was that friendship that propelled them on stage.

WYHS' super talented director, Mrs. Liz Saddler, put her heart and soul into the show, and overcame tremendous last minute technical challenges with the theater's light, sound, and backstage coordination. She, and the cast, are indebted to her friends David and Tracey, without whom they could never have "brought down the house."

Seniors Jessica Friedman and Sarah Gross did an awesome job in their last WYHS musical. They will truly be missed. It was a great show in no small part due to the receptive audience. See you at the Spring Comedy!

"Whoever Saves One Life

Saves the World"

WYHS Learns about the Gift of Life

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

This past Wednesday, WYHS students were privileged to learn about the Gift of Life Bone Marrow Foundation, a Jewish organization for bone marrow and stem cell transplants. Students learned just how much of a difference one person can make by donating bone marrow. In order for a person to have a bone marrow transplant, he or she must find a "match," a donor with a similar tissue type-- usually someone of similar ethnicity. Due to the loss of Jewish lives in the Holocaust, there has been a lack of Jewish donors and thus, making it more difficulty for Jews in need of a transplant to find a donor. This incredible foundation's mission is to increase the Jewish representation in the marrow-donating circuit.

The Gift of Life's founder, Jay Feinberg, knows first-hand how difficult it is to find a match. He explained to the WYHS student body that after being diagnosed with leukemia as a young adult, doctors told him that it was unlikely for him to find a match because he was Jewish. Determined to find a suitable donor for Jay, his friends established the "Friends of Jay" foundation, and set up drives to test potential donors and find a suitable match. Over 60,000 people participated in these drives, however a match was still not found for Jay. Last minute, in Windsor, Ontario, a donor was found for Jay and his life was saved.

After the successful transplant, Jay transformed "Friends of Jay" into "The Gift of Life." To date, because of this foundation, 120,000 people have donated bone marrow and about 1,500 Jewish lives have been saved. Among those who have donated bone marrow through this organization are WYHS Alumni Perel Hande ('03) and Avi Amsalem ('04), who spoke to the students via videoconference.

The testing procedure is a relatively simple, requiring a painless cheek swab and no surgery. Jay Feinberg and the Gift of Life truly taught WYHS that everyone can save a life.

The Storm is Brewing!

Girls JV Basketball is Hard at Work

By Ronit Wallerstein ('11)

The Girls JV basketball team may have had a rocky start, but it is greatly improving every day, and the intense practices have been paying off. The team, consisting of freshmen newcomers and sophomore veterans, has had many close games.

In a recent game versus Calvary Christian, the girls were very aggressive and had a lot of steals during the second half. Centers Shira Wolkowicz ('10) and Rachel Danis ('10) had an amazing amount of defensive rebounds, Lizzy Markovitch ('10) and Tamar Singer ('11) had some incredible outside shots, and point guard Rivkah Begas ('11) stuned the crowd with her speed and ball handling skills. With more practice and perseverance, the JV Girls basketball team will be victorious this season.

Next Game Vs.

The Faculty

on 12/29/07 at 8:00

at Boca Prep

Come Cheer

Us On!!!

A Seminary for Every Girl

By Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner, Associate Principal

There was once a time when you either fit into the mold of a "seminary girl' or you did not go to learn for a year in Israel. Those times have, and continue to, dramatically change. Each year brings with it the creation of new seminaries, some attempting to duplicate and improve upon existing ones, but others focusing on developing programs that cater to the needs and fulfill the diverse interests of all types of girls.

Within the past three years, programs have been created for those girls who, in addition to learning in a Torah observant seminary, would prefer to spend part of their day engaged in other dynamics. Many of these programs are part of established, well reputed, accredited institutions in Israel such as Machon Lev and the Bezalel School of Art. A seminary exists for those who are talented and interested in spending part of their day studying art or music, for those who would like to do an internship working in a chosen field in Israel, for those who would like to begin their secular college classes while in seminary, and a program for those who would like to engage more intensely in chesed.

Even within the "traditional" seminaries where the girls spend their days learning, there are a multitude of differences, some blatant and others more nuanced. The more conspicuous differences are what areas of learning are stressed (Tanach, Gemarah, Halacha, Hashkafa, or philosophy), and how much time of that learning is teacher based or "B'chevruta", as well as the skill level of the girls. The more subtle distinctions are the emphasis (as all schools do contain elements of all the following) on textual skills, inspiration, religious Zionism, and character building, as well as the intensity and rigor of the program, not necessarily apparent from the written schedule.

My visit to Israel hopping from one seminary to another affords me the opportunity to see and perceive these differences along with getting a glimpse of the physical set up of the dorms and the school buildings, (not an insignificant factor) so that I can be of utmost assistance in helping the senior girls choose the seminary that best suits them.

Old and new, these multifarious seminaries offer exciting options for our girls, insuring that every girl can find their place, their individual niche in a year of learning in Eretz Yisrael.

He Said/She Said

Alumni Give the Gift of Life

By Daniella Greer ('09)

This past Wednesday, two very special WYHS alumni, Avi Amselem ('04) and Perel Hande ('03), spoke to the students via videoconference about their involvement with The Gift of Life foundation. Both Avi and Perel spoke to us about how they were tested during a Gift Of Life drive, and subsequently received phone calls informing them that they were potential bone marrow donors. Almost immediately, both Avi and Perel donated their bone marrow, thereby saving two strangers' lives. I was more then honored to speak to Avi and Perel about their experience and what the Gift of Life taught them.

When you found out you were a match for someone with Leukemia, what thoughts went thorough your mind?

He Said: I knew this was a rare opportunity and something that I wanted to do. Of course, I understood this wasn't going to be such an easy process, but I felt very strongly about going through it. I felt extremely privileged that I was a match and had the opportunity to save another persons life.

She Said: My initial reaction was hoping that they would find another donor before I had to make the commitment to go through with the procedure. I went back and forth in my mind weighing the pro's and con's until I came to the conclusion that this was something I had to do. It was just a matter of needing to get over my hesitations and fears, and realizing that this was about more than my discomfort; it was about another person's life.

Did going through this experience give you a different perspective on life?

He Said: Definitely! It enabled me to experience first hand the power one person can have on another person's life.

She Said: If nothing else, this experience taught me that sometimes we are given opportunities to make the most of our health and blessings. Such decisions might not be easy to make, however, life is essentially about maximizing our potential to the fullest through giving.

Did WYHS have an affect on your decision to donate your bone marrow?

He said: Absolutely. WYHS instilled in me the morals and ethics required to make this extremely important decision.

She Said: Definitely! WYHS has imbued within me a sense of responsibility to the community that goes far beyond the friends and neighbors that I see in my every day life. I learned about the importance of helping any Jew, even those who I don't know.

What message would you like to leave WYHS students with after going through this experience?

He Said: Now that you have heard about what this process entails, I feel that it is your obligation to teach it to others. Nowadays, technology has changed the procedure, and donating has become much easier. The more you educate others, the greater the chance is for a Jew that is suffering with a blood- disorder to be saved.

She Said: While this was a huge decision for me (and an uncomfortable undertaking!), please know that everyone has their own strengths, abilities and contributions that are as unique to them as their own fingerprint. At the end of the day, no act of chesed is too small. Yes, if a person has the opportunity to donate bone marrow and potentially save a life, I encourage it 100% - but please don't underestimate the impact of what may seem to be the tiniest act of Chesed! We have no concept of the impact any action could have on others and the world at large.

Which Sock Puppet
    from Panopluka most Resembles the Faculty Member it was
    Fashioned After?

Mrs. Rainbeau
    Mrs. Kestenbaum
    Rabbi Horowitz
    Terry

View Results

poll poll poll poll

"Your newsletter is great. I loved the trimester video.

You do excellent work.

What a great place to go to school!"

-- Rabbi Lee Buckman

Head of School

Frankel Jewish Academy of Metropolitan Detroit

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433