Parshat Vayeitzei
Friday, November 16, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 5:12

Click Here For An Awesome

Trimester Video In Review

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

It ain't easy being a high school parent. You were really involved in your child's life in middle school. You showed up on almost a daily basis for carpool, PTA meetings, chaperoning trips, or a presentation during school. You helped your child with homework; he shared with you the highlights of his day.

How does a high school parent get involved? WYHS devotes a lot of energy to creating opportunities for parents be a part of their high schooler's experience.

Town Meetings- During the next three weeks, WYHS is coming to your community to answer your questions and grow from your suggestions. We want to hear what you have to say. Check out the schedule to the right.

Chanukah & Purim Chagigot- You'll be receiving an invitation in the mail in the coming days inviting your entire family to join WYHS for one Chanukah evening. Join us!

Family Shabbatot- WYHS' Judaic staff will be spending a weekend in Miami Beach (December 14-15) and Hollywood (later in the year). Bring your family and host a teacher's family.

Yeshiva Highlites- The mission of this newsletter is to enable parents to ask their children about how they grew from the past week's experiences at WYHS. Ask your child how they enjoyed last week's special speaker, if they are participating in the new club, etc.

Parent Teacher Conferences- The two fall evenings were very well attended. The next conferences are right after winter vacation.

Freshman Parent Orientation & Melava Malka- These programs are designed to help you be the best high school parent you can be.

Lay Leadership- If you have a skill or perspective that you feel can benefit WYHS, drop Shimmie an e-mail and tell him how you want to get involved.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
photo gallery
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• School Shabbaton
    This Shabbat @ Marco Polo, Sunny Isles

• Town Meetings (8:00pm)
    Hollywood- Mon 11/19 @ Bengio
    NMB- Tues 11/20 @ Bokor
    Boca- Mon 11/26 @ Stadlan
    Miami Beach- Tues 11/27 @Schechter North of Boca- Mon 12/3 @ Shub

• JAFCO Toiletry Drive
    through this Wednesday, Nov. 21

• Junior Chanukah Bake Sale
    through Tuesday, Nov. 27
    Click Here To Order

• Thanksgiving- No School
    Thursday, November 22-
    Sunday, November 25

• End of 1st Trimester
    Chesed Hours Due
    Friday, November 30

• Click Here To Order Your
    Storm Klipped Kippahs

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov To:

• Ilana Dolgow ('02) on her engagement to Hezi Salman from Brooklyn, NY

•  

The Jewish Version of Steve Irwin

The "Zoo Rabbi" Inspires and Educates Students at WYHS

By Harry Ganz ('08)

Rabbi Natan Slifkin, more commonly known as the "Zoo Rabbi," spoke about animals and their relationship to Torah in front of a captive WYHS audience last Friday.

The ideas he presented were somewhat shocking to those of us who imagined the Jewish people "riding on the wings of an eagle" rather than on a Griffon Vulture, but Rabbi Slifkin's explanations were both enlightening and entertaining.

The Zoo Rabbi's understanding of both Torah and zoology is a model of the "Torah U'Mada" lifestyle that WYHS students exude. From explaining how geckos stick to walls to discussing the existence of griffons, the breadth of his knowledge is astounding. Not only has Rabbi Slifkin learned about these creatures, but he has interacted with them. On Rabbi Slifkin's website is a video of him riding on the back of an elephant and posing with a lion. His informed interpretations of the names of animals in the Torah adds profound depth to the verses that they are mentioned in, and will greatly alter how I view those creatures in the future. The only regret I have is not being able to taste the crickets that he says are one of the kosher species mentioned in the Torah.

AIPAC Comes to WYHS

Students Go To Washington

By Rachel Benaim ('10)

Earlier this week, Ilana Ben-Ezra('10), David Clements('09), Chavi Lieberman ('09), and I attended the AIPAC (American Israel Political Action Committee) conference in Washington D.C. AIPAC, the largest pro-Israel lobby in the United States, invites approximately three hundred high school students each year to a conference to learn how to be effective pro Israel activists.

We were taught how to express our views about the Middle East in a strong and persuasive manner, and how we, as high school students, can make a difference. We were taught how to speak publicly, fundraise, engage the media, advocate through writing, and most importantly, to build relationships with our Congressmen and Senators.

To solidify what we were taught, the summit staff set up meetings for us to speak to our congressmen. Our delegation met with David Feinman, Congressman Wexler's Legislative Correspondent. We discussed issues such as the looming threat of Iran's nuclear program, The Kirk/Carney letter, and the Annapolis meeting. We are fortunate to have a pro-Israel congressman and staff in our district.

Overall, we learned how to be effective Israel activists and how to pass this information on to our classmates. It was a huge success and we learned so much, made new friends, and had a lot of fun.

Girls Varsity Basketball

Kicks Off At WYHS

By Danielle Wolkowicz ('09)

After a rough first game, the Girls Varsity basketball team bounced back with back-to-back wins.

Last Wednesday, the girls beat David Posnack securing 3rd place in the pre-season tournament with a final score of 34- 24. On Tuesday, they played Donna Klein and won their first official game of the season.

Daniella Litwin ('10) was the leading scorer with 14 points and Arielle Struhl ('09) came in close second with 8 points. The team is already off to a promising start, and are demonstrating their ability to be victorious at the Hebrew Academy Tournament for the second year in a row.

Next Game on

Tuesday at 6:00

at Grandview

Come Chear

Us On!!!

Weston Meets Miami

Freshman Parent Melava Malka

By Lee Borzak ('10)

When freshmen enter high school, they are introduced to a whole new group of peers. WYHS helps ease this transition with Freshman Orientation, Big Brother/ Big Sister Programs, and a Freshman Night to enable the 9th graders to develop friendships.

How about the parents? They don't go to school together or live in the same community. It's true that WYHS runs a New Parent Orientation, Meet the Teacher Evening, and Parent Teacher Conferences, but these nights focus on the "business" of being a WYHS parent.

This past Saturday night, Rabbi and Mrs. Tirschwell opened up their home for a Freshman Parent Melava Malka, which offered an amazing opportunity for parents to socialize and get to know each other. Mrs. Melissa Pereira, WYHS' Admissions Director, explained the purpose of this evening; "When a student says to his parents that he wants to go to a classmate's home for Shabbat or for an evening, we want the parents to be comfortable picking up the phone and calling each other."

Upon entering the house, each parent received a name tag with the name and picture of his or her ninth grade child. "Your child has been in my house," was a comment heard often throughout the evening. Parents were also able to speak to each other about their children's transition to high school.

The success of the evening was evident from the turnout (over 60 parents), and how long the parents stayed. There is no doubt that many long lasting friendships began on Saturday night. Thank you so much to the Tirschwell family for hosting such a beautiful and productive event.

Up Close and Personal

with Rabbi Moshe Schochet

By Daniella Greer ('09)

Rabbi Moshe Schochet, a highly esteemed teacher and Rebbe at WYHS, wears a number of hats this year. Not only does he teach the most classes in the school, but he is also interning as a school guidance counselor for WYHS boys, under the tutelage of Mrs. Marilyn Goldstein. Rabbi Schochet dedicated the past two summers to getting his masters degree in counseling from Pace University in New York, and is expected to graduate this summer. I was privileged to speak to Rabbi Schochet about both his internship and his teaching position.

What have you learned so far during your time spent interning as a guidance counselor?

Rabbi Schochet: I learned that what you see, isn't always what you get. Many times students seem one way, but after I meet with them on a personal level I see them on a whole different level. I've discovered that there's great depth and perplexities to teenagers.
    What motivated you to get a Masters Degree in counseling?

Rabbi Schochet: Often times, people approach me for guidance about issues going on in their personal lives. Teenagers face many obstacles and challenges. I therefore felt it only appropriate to further my education in that area in order to better help people with their emotional and spiritual development.
    What is your favorite aspect of teaching?

Rabbi Schochet: Showing students that the Torah is alive, and that almost everything and anything their teachers have taught them has been, can be, and will be relevant their lives.
    How has your experience been teaching WYHS' first Jewish Contemporary Issues class?

Rabbi Schochet: Great! The students seem extremely engaged and interested in the topics and the classroom is constantly filled with exciting conversations. The topics we have discussed so far has been brain death and abortion, and we will soon be discussing the topics of steroids, gambling, and Zionism. These are topics that students are normally confronted with in life, yet aren't typically discussed in a formal setting.
    Has being a guidance counselor to WYHS boys given you a different perspective while teaching them?

Rabbi Schochet: It definitely has caused me to approach teaching differently. Now that I know that there's more than meets with eye with my students, I want to go the extra mile to help them grow and to teach them important life lessons.

What are you most looking forward to at the School Shabbaton?

Game Show
    Skit
    Singing and Dancing
    Boomer-Mania
    Food

View Results

poll poll poll poll

"My daughter loved the "Zoo Rabbi" and did not stop

talking about what he said all through dinner Friday night.
    She and her friends were so excited!

Kol HaKavod on another enlightening and engaging program."

-- Freshman Parent

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433