Preview Close Window  

Subject: Yeshiva Highlites featuring Boys Alumni Shabbaton and Freshmen Elections
Reply: rpt@wyhs.net

[View HTML Version] [View Text Version]
View Printable Version

Yeshiva Highlites featuring Boys Alumni Shabbaton and Freshmen Elections
$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of
Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Toldot
Friday, November 9, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 5:16

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

"I'm sorry, Mr. X, but your child doesn't know algebra I," I informed the parent of a student who wanted to join us in 11th grade. "We don't have algebra I in 11th grade." The parent was perplexed. "I've done very well in life and I never took algebra. Why does my son have to learn algebra?"

It's a great question. Why do high school students learn algebra but not how to balance a checkbook? Why do yeshiva high school boys learn so little halacha and girls learn much less gemara than their male counterparts? What determines which subjects students study at WYHS?

It's true. Geography is more practical than history, statistics is more useful than calculus, and halacha is more relevant than gemara. Relevance, however paradoxical it may sound, is not the determining factor of what one learns in college and yeshiva preparatory high school.

High school is a prozdor- a hallway between middle school at one end, and college, yeshiva and seminary at the other. We gauge our success by our alumni's opinions as to how well prepared they were for the challenges at the next level.

A strong case can be made for redesigning high school curriculum from the ground up. The emphasis on the classics of literature, history, math and science is part of a peculiarly American system of liberal arts education which produces college graduates who have no idea what they want to do with their lives. It's embarrassing to say that Jewish day school students don't know their Bible nearly as well as their Christian counterparts.

Until colleges view life skills courses the way they view APs, boys yeshivot devote the majority of their day to Chumash and the seder hayom and girls seminaries revolve around gemara, we will continue preparing students for the present expectations of higher education.

I hope we will see the day when the "big conversation" about overhauling education will take place. With college, seminary and yeshiva admissions becoming increasingly competitive, I unfortunately don't see the motivation for that conversation to happen any time soon.

Check out our new and updated links below including a new WYHS in the Media link as well as links that will bring you to every slideshow and youtube video we have made.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
photo gallery
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• JAFCO Toiletry Drive
    Tuesday, Nov. 6 - Wednesday, Nov. 21

• Junior Chanukah Bake Sale
    Tuesday, Nov. 6 - Tuesday, Nov. 27

• Click Here To Order Your
    Storm Klipped Kippahs

• Freshman Parent Melava Malka
    Saturday, November 10
    8:30pm @ Tirschwell Home

• School Shabbaton
    Fri., November 16 - Sun., November 18
    @ Marco Polo Beach Resort, Sunny Isle

• Thanksgiving- No School
    Thursday, November 22-
    Friday, Novemebr 23

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov To:

• Mr. and Mrs. Dobrick on the birth of their daughter, Kara Michelle

A Continued Refuah Shleima To:

• Susu Danis, mother of Rachel ('10)

•  

Singing, Torah, and Lots of Laughter

Boys Alumni Reunion in New York a Huge Success!

By Rabbi Josh Spodek

The deepest desire of any Torah educator is that his or her students become true bnai Torah who are passionate and dedicated community leaders. It is one thing to be observant in a sheltered high school environment. It is a totally different ballgame when one is in college and out on his own. The daily challenges and pressures that a college student faces, can, at times, hamper his religious growth.

This past weekend, I had the distinct privilege to spend time with twenty five of our male alumni (and some of their fiancés) in New York. It was truly inspiring to see how our alumni, in their own unique ways, are choosing to be active, vibrant bnai Torah who are committed to their own religious growth as well as the growth of their peers.

From YU to Landers, Queens to Rutgers, our students have become involved in campus life and have remained strong presences in their various batei midrash, studying and teaching Torah.

The zmirot and divrei Torah that filled the home of our recently married alumni couple, Shoshana (Turk) and Yaakov Seligman ('04), were heartwarming. Thank you to both the Seligmans and to the 25 alumni who participated in this great Shabbat.

Our Lips Are Sealed

WYHS Learns More about Lashon Harah

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

Lashon harah, watching what we say about others, is arguably one of the most difficult mitzvot to observe, especially in a high school setting. In order to raise awareness about the power of speech, WYHS has initiated a shmirat halashon program, which is part of a nationwide program aimed at preventing Lashon Harah called SHAC (Shmirat HaLashon Action Committee).

Spearheaded by Vice President of Torah Affairs, Avital Abir ('08) and Faculty Advisor Mrs. Michal Schochet, this inspirational program will hopefully create an even more thoughtful environment at WYHS.

Once a week, before each of WYHS' minchah minyanim, a student shares a practical halacha about the way we speak. These pointed ideas enable students to look at lashon harah in different ways and make this area of self- improvement a more tangible goal.

On Wednesday, WYHS held its first monthly shmirat halashon breakfast. While enjoying doughnuts, students broke up into groups and conducted discussions about different scenarios. "We talked about what you would do and what you should do in an every day, school setting," explained Mrs. Schochet. Specific, realistic examples forced students to truly think about their actions.

"It was truly thought-provoking, and I actually applied the ideas we discussed during the breakfast to the rest of my day," added Chana Brauser ('10).

Thanks to this important program, WYHS students are focusing on this integral mitzvah. What makes this particular shmirat halashon program unique is that it does not only explore the negative ramifications of lashon harah. "We focus on the impact our words can have, both positive and negative," explains Avital. With the new "JOH" program soon to be commenced, WYHS will learn more about the power of words and continue to improve together.

Girls Soccer

Begins at WYHS

By Perla Maikhor('09) and Emily Waxman ('09)

As winter sports season arrives, WYHS' Girls Soccer team gets pumped up with energy, potential, optimism, and motivation. From underclassmen to upperclassmen, the soccer team has been practicing hard and shaping up with Coach Scott, joining the team for his first year, as well as veteran coach, Melissa Pereira.

The Girls' Soccer Team has had three amazing games, but although the team is not known for winning they are sure distinguished for their drive, effort and ability to communicate on the field. Leading the Yeshiva Storm this year are juniors Jessie Busch and Emily Waxman who have been playing for the team since they were freshmen.

Starting off the season's first game vs. Sheridan Hills, the Girls' Soccer Team has had the privilege of welcoming sophomore Melissa Adler, who scored the first goal of the season. With incredible teamwork and great skills, the team will continue their victory in future games!

Just like the new Girls' soccer cheer: "Let's get pumped up", everyone is invited to come out and support the team and "Be Pumped up"!

Next Game at the

Boca JCC @ 6:45

Come Cheer

Us On!!

Click Picture for the Latest Edition of the Brainstorm

Extra, Extra, Read All About it

WYHS School Newspaper Returns for Another Year

By Alexa Bryn ('08)

The Brainstorm, WYHS's first arts and opinion newspaper, is back, and even better, in its second year in print. This year's first issue is more innovative than ever, featuring original graphics, a cleaner, more readable layout, the insight of an expanded editorial staff, and most excitingly, color on both the front and back pages.

The paper's aesthetic overhaul is due to the technological genius of both Assistant Editor/Technical Editor Harry Ganz ('08) and Graphics Editor Shmuel Dresner ('09). The two have mastered Adobe Illustrator and InDesign software and are already "brainstorming" about the artwork for the next issue. Our goal is to raise enough money in sponsorships to print all future papers entirely in color.

Showcasing writers from all four grades, The Brainstorm is a forum for WYHS students to express their unique perspectives on the world around them. Politics, Judaism, Israel, teen issues, and the arts are covered with passion, humor, and flare. From the SATs to the presidential candidates, the need for a Yiddish renaissance to Red Sox strategy, Harry Potter's Jewishness to a Hairspray obsession, The Brainstorm reflects all that is important to us as high school students, Jews, and Americans at this formative time in our lives. The eclectic mix of ideas assures that there is something for everyone, so click below, and get caught up in The Brainstorm.

Up Close and Personal

with Freshman

Class Presidents

By Daniella Greer ('09)

This year's Student Council freshman class presidential election was extremely exciting, with five fantastic students running for the two positions open. While all the candidates ran a fantastic race, only two were elected as the newest additions to the Student Council. I spoke to the new freshman presidents, Paul Hess and Racheli Mizrahi, about why they ran and their plans for this year.

Why did you run for Student Council?

He said: I feel as if I have the skills to contribute a lot towards creating an amazing first year for the freshman class.

She said: I feel like I can represent my classmates very well, and together we can all improve WYHS.

Which leader in school, in your community, or globally, do you look up to most and why?

He said: My dad, because I see how he runs everything in such a smooth way and everything he does always ends up a success.

She said: My Rabbi, because he is a true example of how one should act and I want my grade to become an example for the other grades in the school.

What new ideas do you have for improving your freshman year?

He said: I want my grade to have a thrilling trip to an amusement park because there, every student can have a fun time.

She said: I am going to listen to everyone's concerns and suggestions and do my best to implement their ideas. I also hope to plan fun activities that my whole class will enjoy.

What was your campaign slogan?

He said: Vote for the power of Paul!

She said: Rock the vote for Racheli!

850 Number of minutes Paul Hess spent writing his name on each individual doughnut he gave out during the freshman campaign. 

4 number of alumni couples engaged to other alumni

45 vs. 85 Number of people who attended the Shmirat Halashon breakfast vs. Number of doughnuts eaten at the Shmirat Halashon breakfast

"You have a lot to be proud of.

It's truly remarkable to see how much your alumni

have accomplished and how well they are doing. "

-- Rebbetzin Yocheved Goldberg

commenting on the Highlites edition of

"Where are WYHS Alumni Now", sent out earlier this year

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433