Yeshiva High School

Parshat Vayera
Friday, October 26, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca @ 6:25

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Dancing Lessons for the Teenage Parent

Be A Parent, Not A Friend- One of the enduring legacies of the sixties is the damage done to parent's perception of their role with their children. News Flash- teenagers have (and need) friends their own age. Friends who are grappling with the same pressures, desires, and physiological changes. They don't need (or want) their parents to be their friends.

A Parent Says No- A parent's mission is to create boundaries for a teenager. It's not fun saying no- it is rarely reciprocated by a thank you or a smile. No- they can't go out on a school night, or stay out late on a weekend. No- they can't drive with a new or reckless driver. No- they don't need a cellphone. No- they can't go to a friend's home without adult supervision (and your speaking to the parents). No- they can't wander the streets on a Friday night. No- they can't have a phone or computer in their room.

Believe, But Don't Trust- Teenagers must feel that their parents truly believe in them. Teenagers are so terribly insecure, and the opinion that truly matters most to them is that of their parents (though they don't consciously recognize it). A parent must be the child's greatest cheerleader.

However, don't confuse this with believing everything they tell you. The response to "Mom, don't you trust me?" is "I love you, therefore I double check." Check on their grades on Edline (you can only count on them to tell you about the good ones). Check with the parents who your child claims are going to be supervising a party. Snoop to make sure they've not fallen prey to the temptations of drugs and alcohol.

Everyone Else's Parents Are Letting Them Do It- Don't be manipulated by the teenagers greatest weapon- portraying your decisions as cruel and unusual punishment. The other kids' are using the same line on their parents. Even when it's true- don't buckle. You're not trying to win a popularity contest- you're trying to keep your child physically, spiritually, and academically safe. Strong Kids Have Strong Parents- keep your eye on the prize.

I am happy to announce that the Board of Trustees has already approved next year's calendar, which is posted on Edline, just in time to make frequent flyer reservations for next fall (if that's your thing)!

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Boys Mad Tisch
    Friday, October 26
    9:30pm @ Zaghi Home

• Habitat for Humanity
    Sunday, October 28 1:00-5:00pm

• College Finance Presentation
    Tuesday, October 30 @ 8:00pm

• Parent Teacher Conferences
  • Tuesday, October 30
  • 12:00 dismissal

• Freshman Student Council Elections
    Friday, November 2 @ 2:00pm

• School Shabbaton
    Fri., November 16 - Sun., November 18
    Click here to
    Apply to the School Shabbaton

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov To:

• Dr. Michael & Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner on the engagement of their son

Refuah Shleima To:

• Avi Tansman father of Maya ('03) and Gil ('06)

•  

Beyond The Classroom

New Torah Study Opportunities at WYHS

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

"There is only so much we can cover in class," explains Mrs. Esther Grossman, Judaic Studies teacher. To address important topics such as philosophical questions, WYHS offers a number of exciting learning opportunities outside of the classroom.

• New and Improved Wednesday evening Mishmar- Good food, good competition, and good learning are the winning elements of Wednesday night mishmar. Every other week, WYHS' male students order dinner from two restaurants. After school, the boys are bussed to the beautiful, brand new Boca Middle School. The boys are divided into teams for basketball intramurals. Eight teams play at a time, with the rabbis refereeing the games. Students eat when their teams are not playing. The standings are posted the next day in the hallway at WYHS.

After basketball and dinner, the boys daven maariv together in the gym. Each student then goes to a classroom for a shiur with his rebbe. The classes delve into the Jewish view on issues relevant to teenage boys. "In school, everything is graded. Mishmar gives an opportunity to learn lishma- just for the sake of learning. It also gives them a taste of what their year in Israel will be like, learning in the evenings," said Rabbi Benjy Horowitz, Talmud Department Chair, and Intramural Commissioner.

• Girls Wednesday evening Chug- On Wednesday nights, junior and senior girls have the opportunity to learn (philosophical) and halachic topics that pertain to Jewish women, at Mrs. Grossman's home. "It is an opportunity to grow without the pressure of tests," she explains. "The goal is to help prepare the girls for life after high school."

• Sunday morning Mishmar - For most teenagers, Sunday is a day to sleep in. WYHS boys, however, have the opportunity to start the day on the right foot. WYHS sends rebbeim to Boca, North Miami Beach, Hollywood and Miami Beach for Sunday morning Mishmar - leaving the bulk of the day preserved as a family day. Students daven shacharit, eat breakfast, and learn. "Sunday Mishmar teaches the boys that a Jew should never take a day off from davening and learning," said Rabbi Moshe Schochet, who teaches the class in Hollywood.

To prepare the boys for post high school Torah study, they learn bkiyut additional perakim (chapters) in the same mesechta (tractate) that they are studying in school.

Through all of these learning opportunities, WYHS students are privileged to gain a greater appreciation for Torah and view it as vital to every day life and not just a subject they learn in school.

•  

Lights,

Camera, Action

WYHS Drama Kicks Off

By Holly Hampton ('09)

After the success of previous years' productions, the Drama Department at WYHS felt a need to ensure that the 2007 Girls' Musical be better than ever. Director Mrs. Liz Saddler decided that the perfect play to accomplish this is the classic musical comedy Guys and Dolls.

With a cast of 21, the show is the largest in WYHS history. Cast members meet an average of three times a week at rehearsals which are held after school for a minimum of two and a half hours.

These sessions include acting, singing and, of course, dancing. All this does not include the numerous hours working and practicing at home.

New to rehearsals is Tracy Schneider, a professional choreographer, who directs the show's bigger dance numbers, while Mrs. Saddler impressively oversees the whole production.

As the date of the actual play nears, rehearsals, excitement, and anxiety will all increase, but it is, without a doubt, going to be the funniest, best show in WYHS history.

The Show Goes On

December 18 at 7:30pm

For tickets contact the office

at office@wyhs.net

or call 561-417-7422

Click On The Picture For

An Amazing Slideshow

A Strong Finish

for Fall Sports

By David Clements ('09)

In their season finale, the Girls Volleyball team lost a tough one to district rivals Donna Klein. Although their final record (0-12) might not be the most impressive, the amount that this team has improved and come together is a great victory in itself. Jessica Freidman ('08) and captain Jackie Itzkowitz ('08) will be greatly missed next year as the team looks to become even better! A special thanks goes to Coach Gui for the team's best season ever!

Ending on a bittersweet note, the Boys Soccer team lost a hard fought district playoff game to the powerhouse Boca Prep by a score of 8-2. Their 7-5-1 record is one of the best records WYHS has ever had!

The Genet brothers dominated their opponents all season long as captain Aryeh ('08) led the team with a record 13 goals, and Elie ('11) scored 10. Other great offensive contributors were Elan Aiken ('09), Doron David ('09), Arie Grunberg ('10), and Justin Stauber ('11), who scored many game- changing goals.

Seniors Marc Finkelstien and Michael Schiff "Code X" and Yoel Goldberg ('09) played rock solid defense in front of freshman goalie Matt Orlinsky ('11), who made countless clutch saves in crucial moments.

A huge thanks goes out to Coach Scott and Coach Leiber who brought this team together and led them to the best season in WYHS Boys Soccer history!

Thank you to all the fans who came out and supported the Storm this past season!!

Up Close and Personal

with WYHS Alumni

By Daniella Greer ('09)

WYHS alumni Hudi Moscowitz ('03) and Uri Turk ('03) decided to embark upon heroic endeavors; joining the Israeli army. Now in a program called Garin Tzabar, they are living on a Kibbutz and will soon be entering vigorous training, in preparation for the Israeli Army. I was more then honored to speak to Uri and Hudi,despite their busy schedules, about what led them to join the Israeli army, their experiences there so far, and their hopes for the future.

What compelled you to join the Israeli Army?

Hudi: I have two main reasons for joining the army. First, I think it's an experience that will change my life for the better. Second and more importantly, I think that contributing to the state of Israel is my duty as a Jew. So regardless of whether I am from Boca, Buenos Aires or Tel Aviv, it is my duty and privilege to fight for our people.

Uri: Joining the army was something I've wanted to do since I was younger. There are the ideological reasons of wanting to support Israel in the best way possible, and this is the best way in my opinion. I also wanted to join for personal reasons, like wanting to give back after I've gotten so much. I also wanted to challenge myself, and become a stronger person in all the senses of the word.

Did your experience at WYHS affect that decision in any way?

Hudi: I think WYHS definitely gave me a greater love of the state. I remember the way in which all the rabbis and teachers would speak about Israel, with such admiration and respect. The Yom Ha'atzmaaut and Yom Hashoa ceremonies stick out in my mind to this day. Uri's speeches also impacted me greatly.

Uri: I knew I was going to do it before I went to WYHS. I used to give Israel updates at WYHS every Monday and Thursday, which naturally strengthened my connection to Israel.

What division of the army would you like to be in?

Hudi: I would like to serve in the paratroopers, specifically in their reconnaissance unit. In order to get into the paratroopers I will need to pass a test, which lasts a day and a half. It basically consists of very difficult running in sand and a stretcher march. Many people quit in the middle and only the ones who finish can become paratroopers. To get accepted to the special units, the test lasts for three days, and is comparable to hell week, conducted by the navy seals. Wish me luck.

Uri: Hopefully a special unit inside the paratroopers, I have tests coming up in 3 weeks.

Have you learned anything new about yourself, the army, and the state of Israel since beginning your program?

Uri: Israel is awesome! You see things here you don't see anywhere else. People care for each other here. People open their houses to complete strangers when the only thing connecting them is their "Jewishness"-its very inspirational. It reinforces my knowledge that Israel is the only place for Jews.
    Which of your experiences in the program has impacted you the most?

Uri: Just being on the kibbutz and being around the people here- people who don't have a lot but are happy. My best memory here was being at a wedding on the kibbutz. It was a simple affair, on the grass. All the weddings are the same and no one tries to out do his neighbor. It's really beautiful!

7 Alumni who have or are serving in the IDF 

12 Extra hours a week students spend learning with teachers after school

9 Hours a week students spend in drama practice

" My Federation colleagues were infused with Jewish

spirit during their visit to WYHS and loved dancing with

your students. I hope you encourage more community

members to visit WYHS to learn first-hand about this

precious jewel in our community!

It doesn't get much better than this! "

-- Elise Dolgow, JCRC Director at the Jewish Federation of SPBC

commenting on the incredible atmosphere in the

school on Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Danielle Wolkowicz (’09)

Editor-in- Chief

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology

Alana Dweck(’09)

Photo Editor

Daniella Greer(’09)

Features Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Photo Editor
    Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433