Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Shlach
Friday, June 8, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 7:54pm

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

What does a model graduate of WYHS look like? Who do we want to inspire our students to become?

WYHS has always tried to paint as clear a picture as it could of its model graduate. We want our graduates to;

• Continue their religious and academic growth at yeshivot and universities. Academic and religious growth are the core of our mission. Learning doesn't stop at 18- the best is yet to come.
  • Keep the Faith in their relationships with others and their relationship with G-d. They should strive to be the most moral and Torah observant person they can be.

• Make Israel an important part of their lives. Spending the year after high school studying in Israel is the first step. A number of our young alumni have already made aliyah.

• Make a difference wherever they go. Maximize their G-d given and self-actualized talents for the good of others. Be the best that they can be.

The Class of 2007 "got it". They understood our message, imbibed our mission. 98% of them are dedicating next year to spiritual growth and deepening their love for Israel at yeshivot or seminaries in the holyland before continuing on at university.

Their personalities are wide ranging, their career aspirations are varied, their backgrounds are diverse, but the mission of each WYHS graduate is the same.

Shabbat Shalom and have a great summer,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
    to link to these nine websites
    highlites 
archive
    edline calendar
    photo gallery
    federation
    movies
    highwaylogo
    yeshivin

• Upcoming Events

• Freshman Class of 2011 Orientation
    Friday, Aug. 24 @ 9:00am

• New Parent Orientation
    Sunday, Aug. 26 @ 10:00am

• All Student Orientation
    Monday, Aug. 27 @ 12:00pm

• Big Brother/Sister Program
    Monday, Aug. 27 @ 3:00pm

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov

• Melissa and Jon Pereira on the upcoming marriage of their son.

• WYHS Storm Athletes for winning the FHSAA's Sportsmanship Award for South Florida.

Condolences

• Mrs. Suzanne Scheiner on the loss of her mother.

•  

Click On Picture Above For A Exciting Slideshow!

WYHS Celebrates Achievements Of

CLASS OF 2007

At Beautiful Graduation Ceremony

By Shira Borzak ('07)

Last Wednesday evening, the sanctuary was packed with WYHS faculty, students, family, and of course, the graduates of the WYHS class of 2007. Beginning with mincha, the ceremony was both touching and bitter sweet.

As the students walked down the aisle decked out in their caps and gowns, the excitement, pride and joy was obvious on each face.

The tone for the evening was set with the singing of the Star Spangled Banner and Hatikvah, led by Executive Director Shimmie Kaminetsky, and opening remarks honoring both the graduates and the school by President, and proud parent, Dr. Sam Lasko. Principal Rabbi Tirschwell then spoke of "The Journey Taken" by the class of 2007. He stated that the attribute displayed by the class of '07 was leadership, and described and praised the indispensable and inspiring leadership shown by all of the graduates, in both formal and informal roles.

Following Rabbi Tirschwell's touching speech, the Senior video was shown. Produced by Mrs. Carla Greer, and written by and starring all of the graduates, the Senior video was a hilarious spoof of James Bond 007 that reflected on the funnier moments of the four years at WYHS. The video, which had the audience roaring with laughter, was a testament to all the hard work put into it, and each graduate will receive a copy to treasure.

Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner, Associate Principal, spoke movingly of "The Road Ahead" and bid farewell to a beloved class who, as she put, "got it and got into it."

After her emotionally charged speech, each senior came up to accept his or her diploma. As the graduates took the stage, a short clip was shown of each graduate reflecting on a favorite WYHS memory followed by touching words of praise specific for each senior by Mrs. Carla Greer and Director of College Preparatory Studies Mr. Adam Dobrick.

After accepting the diplomas, and beautiful, personalized siddurim, and the traditional throwing of the caps, friends and family gathered in the ballroom for pictures, congratulations and a dessert reception. The newest alumni were then whisked off for a delicious Senior Banquet with the staff and faculty, where they celebrated their graduation and had a chance to personally thank their teachers and mentors for the past four years with a framed picture of the graduating class. After dinner, the graduates boarded the bus for an unbelievable 5 day senior trip.

Mazel Tov to all the graduates of 2007. We'll miss you. Good luck next year!

Job Well Done

Faculty Thanked At

End Of The Year Dinner

By Rabbi Josh Spodek

How do you express thanks and appreciation to the entire faculty at WYHS for helping to make 2006/2007 the best year yet? Well, quite honestly, you feed them!

This past Thursday night, after the last of the finals was taken and our students had finally finished their year, the teachers and faculty gathered for an evening of good food and laughs.

It truly was special to see the entire faculty and their spouses get together at the home of the Tirschwells to reflect on what has been an incredible year at WYHS.

The highlight of the night was Rabbi Tirschwell's expression of gratitude and appreciation to our faculty. Rabbi Tirschwell explained that just like the Torah teaches us that not all Prophets were created equal and that Moshe Rabbeinu was on a different level than Aaron and Miriam, so too, not all faculties are created equal.

Rabbi Tirschwell explained how he feels truly privileged to be working with such a dynamic and unified team of teachers, staff and administrators and he would never really be able to fully thank the faculty for all that they do for our students.

Thank you to Rabbi and Mrs. Tirschwell for making this evening so special and for providing an opportunity for the entire faculty to spend a memorable and fun evening together before heading off for summer vacation.

The Results Are In

Student Council In Place

For 5768

By Rabbi Josh Spodek

In what proved to be the most exciting and talked about elections in our schools history, students casted their vote and elected 16 members of the 5768 WYHS Student Council.

In addition to some returning veterans, next years Student Council will feature a number of newcomers who are eagerly anticipating the start to next year. Discussions and meetings have already begun as this group of dynamic and talented students look to make Freshman Orientation and Upperclassmen Orientation memorable and unique.

Plans are already underway to pair our incoming freshmen with older siblings through our Big Brother/Sister program and the theme for next year's Teshuva campaign is already being worked on.

Every member of Student Council is working on a list of new goals and fresh ideas for next year in order to ensure that 5768 will be the best year in our schools history.

The following is a list of our Student Council 5768:

• Presidents: Julie Rosenberg and Anosh Zaghi
  • Vice President of Programming: Racheli Kaplan

• Vice President of Community Outreach: Jackie Itzkowitz
  • Vice President of Torah Affairs: Avital Abir
  • Vice President of Communications: Jeremy Hodkin
  • Vice President of Finance: Josh Kaminetsky
  • Vice President of Athletics: David Clements
  • Senior Presidents: Jessica Friedman & Michel Skura

• Junior Presidents: Devora Lieberman & Doron David
  • Sophomore Presidents: Daniella Litwin & Michael Mizrachi
  • Freshman Presidents: Elections will be held at the beginning of next year

•  

Click On Picture Above For A Great Slideshow

Horses, Bonfires and

Tons Of White Water

An Awesome and Memorable Senior Trip

By Jordana Kaminetsky ('07)

Our Senior Class did not miss a beat as they boarded the buses for their exciting senior trip.

We arrived in D.C, and though a tad tired, we appropriately started our trip at the Holocaust museum. Following a delicious deli lunch, the class took a "Duck Tour": a land and sea tour of the D.C area. It really gave us a feel for the city and some behind the scenes facts not everyone knows. Our first day culminated in an exciting National's baseball game where the class sat together, bonding under the stars and watching the game.

Bright and early the next morning, our class boarded the bus for an amazing Dunkin Donuts breakfast and horseback riding. Though some girls horses didn't exactly follow the trail, everyone had a great time as we trotted through the forest and pond on our horses.

The spirit of Shabbat was really captured as we all sat together for one last Shabbat meal and sang zemirot. Shabbat afternoon, everyone could sense the culmination of the entire four years at the girls and boys respective kumzitzes. As Shabbat and our experience at WYHS came to a close, everyone was a able to share how they felt and allow the sense of unity to envelope the room.

Sunday's day of white water rafting was second- to none. As we rafted our way down the river and encountered some "obstacles" everyone stuck together and helped each other overcome. It really proved to the entire class just how well we work together.

Out trip culminated in a day at King's Dominion amusement park. Everyone rode the rides and saw the shows, but the highlight of the day was definitely the matching Crazy Seniors '07 hats we all purchased!

All in all, the trip was amazing. It really was the perfect way to end four years together and can be added to the long list of memories we all share together!

Thank you to Rabbi Spodek, Claudia Cohen, and alumni Danny Krasna ('04) and Yael Koenigsberg ('04) for chaperoning this memorable and unforgettable trip.

They Said It

Behind The Scenes With Our

Dedicated Highlites Staff

By Daniella Greer ('09)

Each week this year, a team of talented and dedicated students came together to create what you are reading now. The eve before the final edition of this years highlights had arrived, I was privileged to speak to the members of the committee; Danielle Wolkowicz ('09), Benjamin Shai ('07), Shira Borzak ('07), Alexa Bryn ('08), Alana Dweck ('09), and Jordana Kaminetsky ('07) about their time spent working on the Yeshiva Highlites.

What has your experience been like working for the Highlites?

Jordy: Highlights have been awesome. Think about it- almost every week I got to work with a small group of peers and put together this mass production. In just one weeks time, we created a newsletter capturing a whole week of events that went out to thousands of people.

Danielle: I really enjoyed working with everyone so much and I bonded so much with the whole committee. Also, it made me appreciate all the hard work that goes into the highlights. People don't realize how much time and energy it takes to put out a weekly email.

Alana: Its been so amazing. Everybody really respects each others opinions and the committee gets along together great. Its so rewarding.

Ben: Its been an amazing learning experience and I've grown much closer to the people involved with the highlights.

What have you gained through your experience working on the highlites committee?

Danielle: I gained responsibly and organization; two vital traits that I know will carry on with me forever.

Alana: My photography abilities have definitely improved and I also gained the ability of working in a group and voicing my own opinion.

Shira: the professional experience I've gotten from the Highlites is priceless--since I want to go into journalism, working with and managing a staff, dealing with deadlines, being involved in the technical and creative sides will help me in a job in the future.

Alexa: Doing interviews, I got to know so many people in the school I wouldn't of known otherwise and I realized how much talent so many in our school possess.

What has been your favorite memory working for the highlights?

Alexa: I loved doing the interview with Mr. Rosov because I found out so much about him that no-one knew and it was so amazing that I was able to share what I learned about him with the whole school

Alana: The meetings are great! Everyone really has so much respect for the rest of the committee and everyone is so funny which makes the meetings so enjoyable.

Shira: As crazy as it sounds, I LOVED the late, late Thursday nights I would spend with Rabbi Spodek, Ben and Claudia at her house in the beginning of the year. We would all be joking, eating, and of course, working together, putting all the pieces together. We were one big, stressed out, over tired, happy family.

Ben: Being with Claudia, Shira, and Rabbi Spodek until five in the morning working on templates is a great memory I'll always keep.

34 Number of adjectives used by Mrs. Greer at graduation

6 Number of the Class of "07 who understood them 

5 Number of days of the Senior Trip

4 Number of states visited on Senior Trip '07

6 Number of rafts on the river

5 Number of boats that flipped over

"The graduation ceremonies last night brought a

realization to me that I was privileged to teach one of the

most charismatic, intelligent, loving and talented groups

of seniors I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

during my long teaching career. "

-- Jewish History Teacher and
    long serving faculty member, Mr. Chaim Rosov
    commenting on our dynamic Class of 2007

here

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Shira Borzak (’07)

Editor-in-Chief

Alexa Bryn (’08)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology
    Alana Dweck ('09) Assistant Photo Editor

Jordana Kaminetsky (’07)

Senior Editor

Benjamin Shai (’07)

Photo Editor

Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09)

Chief of Correspondents

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433