Weinbaum
Yeshiva High School

Parshat Emor
Friday, May 4, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 7:36pm

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Surround yourself with strong people. Don't surround yourself with "yes men". Make decisions collaboratively. Be willing to reconsider your decisions. These philosophies of leadership resonate as true to me.

One of our school's greatest strengths is the varied backgrounds of our educational administration. Mrs. Kanner grew up in a rabbinic home of nationally- renown Orthodox educators, the founders of the first Jewish day school in the State of Florida, before going off to Michlala and Stern. Mr. Dobrick, whose mother is an administrator of a Conservative synagogue, is also a Floridian, but he attended public schools and Brandeis. I'm a New Yorker who began Jewish day school in 9th grade and attended Gush and YU.

The differences between us are more than biographical. We grew up in three different decades. Our children are at very different stages in life. Our politics are different. We don't even like the same TV shows or music. Our mission and values, however, are the same.

Mrs. Kanner and Mr. Dobrick's contributions to our school are their remarkable intellect, extraordinary creativity and boundless dedication. Any WYHS student past or present knows how brilliant, devoted, and inspirational Mrs. Kanner and Mr. Dobrick are. The school is truly fortunate to have Mrs. Kanner and Mr. Dobrick as members of our administrative team.

Whether Mrs. Kanner, Mr. Dobrick or I am the one to communicate a decision, the person speaking is speaking for all three of us. Though my name may be the one in your inbox or at the bottom of a letter, every important decision at WYHS is made by the three of us as a group.

A tripod is much stronger than a single pole.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these nine websites
highlites 
archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Last Day of Senior Classes
    Monday, May 7

• Sports Banquet
    Monday, May 7 @ 6:30pm

• Freshman Shabbaton
    Friday, May 11- Motzei Shabbat, May 12

• Yom Yerushalayim Chagigah
    Wednesday, May 16 @ 12:00pm

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov to

• Shira Borzak ('07) on winning first place in the Wolens Writing Award Contest

Refuah Shleimah to

• Mr. Danny Wasserman

• Mr. Eli Buzaglo

•  

Taking The First Step

Middle School Parents "Get Into It"

By Danielle Wolkowicz ('09)

While the end of 2006-2007 school year is on the minds of students, parents and teachers, the school's administration is focused on the classes of 2011- 2014.

This past week, Rabbi Tirschwell held three Q&A sessions about WYHS with middle school parents in Boca and Hollywood. Though WYHS doesn't begin its recruitment until the fall of eighth grade, the purpose of these meetings was to give the parents, whose children are 1-3 years away from high school, the opportunity to allay their fears about the challenges that the future portends for their children and WYHS.

In the next five years, WYHS expects its student body to grow by 40%, from 185 to 255. Though WYHS is expecting its third consecutive freshman class numbering in the fifties this fall, it is preparing to welcome freshman classes in the sixties and seventies in the following two - three years.

Questions asked included the admissions process, gender separation, school schedule, Judaic and college prep curriculum, faculty selection and supervision, college guidance and admissions, class placement, campus plans and Hebrew language integration.

Thank you to the Kurtz, Landa and Wald families for hosting these well attended and well received meetings.

Student Council 5767:

This Meeting Is Adjourned!

Student Council Members

Celebrate Year Well Done

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

This past Tuesday, the WYHS Student Council brought an amazing year to a close over a delicious celebratory dinner at Grill Time Steakhouse in Boca Raton. The dinner was to acknowledge, and to thank, all that the Student Council has done and all the effort shown.

After the fifteen members and Rabbi Josh Spodek, Program Director and staff advisor to Student Council, placed their orders, Rabbi Spodek presented each member with a gift of appreciation. Inspirational books such as Shel Silverstein's "The Giving Tree" were distributed to the Student Council, because of its meaningful message that Student Council embodies-- there is always more to give.

Senior members received Dr. Seuss' "Oh, The Places You'll Go" as they get ready to depart to Israel, college and beyond. After highlighting the accomplishments of every member on the council, Rabbi Spodek ended the night with a "bang," and gave presidents Raquel Amram ('07) and Avi Lasko ('07) personalized gavels to honor their dedication and accomplishments.

The dinner was a success, as we all reflected on an amazing year filled with incredible experiences at WYHS. Thanks so much to Rabbi Spodek for treating the Student Council to an unbelievable night, and for the greatest year ever!

Always More To Learn

Rabbi Tirschwell Plans For

An Educational Summer

By Rabbi Perry Tirschwell, Principal

What's the sure fire way to create a great school? Studies show that the most frequent common denominator between great schools is a culture where teachers are constantly trying to improve themselves. Teachers don't become stale or burnout if they are always growing.

I feel that it is my responsibility to model this to our faculty. Therefore, I am devoting part of my month long summer vacation to doing my job better.

I am privileged to be one of twenty participants in the Ninth Annual Principals' Program at The Lookstein Center at Bar-Ilan University. The 10-day summer seminar in Israel will include focusing on content areas, related leadership skills and the development of an action research plan for implementation in school.

The program includes presentations by leading experts in the field, discussions, and workshops. Each principal is assigned a mentor. Participants learn from both academics and from other principals to benefit from each other's experience and expertise. Each participant selects a project to be implemented in his or her school and works with a mentor on the development of an action research plan.

Follow up is an important aspect of the program. A mid-winter follow-up seminar actually takes place in Miami. A mentor helps each principal implement his or her action research plan during the school year. The group continues a web-based discussion throughout the year.

The other twenty participants lead Jewish day schools in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York, Ottawa, San Diego, San Jose, St. Louis, Toronto, and Vancouver.

Alumni Profile

Up Close and Personal With

Shira Roszler ('04)

By Daniella Greer ('09)

While some college students will spend their winter breaks relaxing, dozens of WYHS alumni spent their breaks from school involved in countless Chesed projects around the globe. One WYHS alumnus, Shira Roszler ('04) spent her winter vacation volunteering in Guatemala along with thirteen other students attending Yeshiva University, helping repair a school in a small village. Below, Shira discusses the time she spent with the school children in this life- changing experience.

How did you find out about the program and what encouraged you to participate?

Shira: I found about the program through an organization at Yeshiva University called the Center for the Jewish Future and I knew it was an opportunity that I couldn't miss. I felt that it was very important to not only help those in a Jewish community, but to help others worldwide as well. I knew how important it would be to reach out to others globally especially because I'm physically able and Jewish. I also wanted to be exposed to something that I was never exposed to before and learn more about the world around us.
    What was moment on the trip impacted you the most?

Shira: I heard an extremely moving speech from a man who, as a child, survived the massacre in Guatemala which killed thousands of women and children. This man dedicates his life to children in Guatemala to try to improve their horrible living conditions. The organization he started, the "New Hope Foundation" was involved with the "Jewish World Service" which initially brought us here. The speech he gave to us about his life was extremely powerful and moving and gave me a whole new perspective on how to look at the world.
    Did you learn anything from the children you were volunteering for?

Shira: Definitely! These children were such happy uplifting people despite their horrible living standards and impoverishment. They were so thankful for the little they have, giving me a whole new appreciation for life. If they have so little and are still so happy, even more so should I be happy and thankful for everything I am blessed with in life. They taught me that I should take nothing for granted. Also, because education was so hard to get there, it made me feel extremely grateful for the education I received and continue to receive. Additionally, I got to improve my Spanish skills because the kids there only spoke Spanish.
    Did you have this same passion for chesed as a WYHS student?

Shira: While I was at WYHS, the teachers there instilled within us a passion for chesed which has remained with me. We would constantly volunteer at schools to help teach the students Torah studies. I also remember that when I was in 9th grade, my class packaged foods for the needy. All the opportunities WYHS gave us to do chesed really gave me a desire to continue to do it in the future.

free online polls Which of these should be the new Vice President positions for Student Council?
    V. P. of Rabbi Tirschwell's milk
    V. P. of video conferencing
    V.P. of Color War
    V.P. of Rabbi Spodek's protein shake

poll poll poll poll

"Thank you so much for setting up these powerful videos

for us all to see. WYHS is continuing to influence us all."

-- Rebecca Levin ('05), on the WYHS Yom HaShoah,

Yom Hazikaron and Yom HaAtzmaut movies

here

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Shira Borzak (’07)

Editor-in-Chief

Alexa Bryn (’08)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology
    Alana Dweck ('09) Assistant Photo Editor

Jordana Kaminetsky (’07)

Senior Editor

Benjamin Shai (’07)

Photo Editor

Rabbi Josh Spodek Staff Advisor

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09)

Chief of Correspondents

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net, by rpt@wyhs.net

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433