Preview Close Window  

Subject: Yeshiva Highlites featuring Purim Chagigah, Junior Trip and an Orthodox Boxer
Reply: rpt@wyhs.net

[View HTML Version] [View Text Version]
View Printable Version

Yeshiva Highlites featuring Purim Chagigah, Junior Trip and an Orthodox Boxer
$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of the Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Parshat Ki Tisa
Friday, March 9, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 6:08pm

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

“With great power, comes great responsibility.” Spiderman’s insight couldn’t be truer in any area than it is in technology.

The internet, e-mail, text messaging and IM have made our lives both considerably easier, and infinitely more difficult. On one hand, we can find any piece of information and contact almost anyone at any hour of the day. On the other hand, these technologies give equally easy access to our children by predators and every type of immorality known to man.

A parent’s most basic responsibility is to protect his child. We greatly underestimate the dangers posed to our teenagers by technology. It is as dangerous as leaving our doors unlocked, crossing the street without looking both ways, and driving with someone under the influence. We need to guard our children from potential harm that can come the way of their computers or cellphones.

Please come this Wednesday evening at 8:00pm to hear a prominent computer forensic investigator explain to parents what they need to know to keep their children safe from these dangers. Mr. Phillip Rosenthal is himself the parent of a yeshiva high school student in New York, and he understands the world that we and our children live in.

Our students will be meeting with Mr. Rosenthal during the school day on Wednesday to learn how they can spot predators and other dangers which are disguised to get them to let their guards down. It is as important that we as parents learn how to do what we need to do. It may just save your child’s life.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these five websites
highlites archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Wednesday, March 14
    With Phil Rosenthal:

- Faculty Inservice @ 11:53am
    - 9/10 Grade Assemby @ 2:29pm
    - 11/12 Grade Assembly @ 4:18pm
    - Parent Internet Program
    @ WYHS at 8:00pm

• Hollywood Family Shabbat
    March 16-17

• SPBC Federation Super Sunday
    Sunday, March 18th @ 5:00pm

• Rosh Chodesh Nisan Chagigah
    Tuesday, March 20th @ 9:10am

• WYHS Spring Comedy "Rumors"
    Wednesday, March 21st
    @ 7:30pm at Crest Theater

• Come See "Rumors"!!!

WYHS is pleased to announce its spring comedy, "Rumors"!

Come watch the WYHS thespians on Wednesday, March 21st at 7:30pm at Crest Theater for one night only!

Tickets are on sale now. Buy in advance and receive a special reduced price!

Please email Mrs. Saddler, our drama director at mes@wyhs.net for more details and to purchase tickets.

Click On Picture Above For An Amazing Slideshow!

Purim Chagiah 5767

Students, Families And Alumni

Celebrate Together

By Danielle Wolkowicz ('09)

As one of the most anticipated events of the school year, the annual WYHS Purim Chagigah has lived up to expectations and more! Students, parents, faculty, and alumni gathered at the Embassy Suites Hotel on motzei Shabbat for a night of dancing, fun, and the ever-present WYHS ruach.

This year’s costumes were some of the best yet— everyone and everything from Roman gladiators, vegetables and leprechauns were seen.

Kicking off the chagigah was a Megillah reading by our own Rabbi Ben Sugerman, followed by some of the most intense and lively dancing ever! With music provided by WYHS’ own Chazak, students, teachers, rabbis, and even a few brave parents hit the dance floor!

The highlight of the night was undoubtedly WYHS Funniest Home Video Contest. The audience was treated to four videos that were filmed, edited and starred by students from WYHS. Not only were the videos extremely professional and creative, but they had the entire room roaring with laughter. Congratulations to Shai Barel (’07), Jon Scheiner (’07), Oren Hizkiya (‘07), Amiel Abir (‘10) and Stephanie Trachtenberg (’07) on their winning video! As the grand prize, they will will have a limo pick them up from school and drive them down to Dougies in Miami for an all you can eat dinner.

Everyone had an incredible time and can’t wait for next year’s chagigah! A special thank you to Rabbi Josh Spodek, Ethan Wasserman (’07), Rebecca Isaacs (’07), Dina Abramson (’07), Meira Pearl (‘07) and the entire Purim Committee for making this the best chagigah yet!

Thank you to Merv and Elaine Jacobs for generously sponsoring this year's incredible Purim Chagigah.

The Power Of Giving

WYHS Donates Mishloach Manot

To The Needy

By Jordana Kaminetsky ('07)

While the giving and receiving of mishloach manot is a fun and integral part of Purim, not many want to deal the massive amounts of food received only weeks before Pesach. For the third consecutive year, WYHS has run the annual Mishloach manot drive and has collected pounds upon pounds of food from all over South Florida to donate to a local food drive.

Donating this food is a win- win situation. Not only were we able to feed the needy, but we were also able to clear our houses of the post-Purim food overload in preparation for Pesach.

After just a few emails and phone calls, there was an incredible, almost immediate response. The food started pouring in, and in the span of just one week, over one hundred pounds of food were collected, everything from candy to canned food.

Ali Cristina (’07), Aleeza Rubin (’09) and I personally delivered the food to the Caring Kitchen in Delray Beach, where we were greeted with smiles and open arms. They were filled with such gratitude, and were astounded by the sheer amount of food that we managed to collect.

Thank you so much to all those who donated food and participated in this worthwhile chesed project. Not only were we able to help ourselves, but more importantly we were able to help others.

Take Me Out

To The Ball Game

Boys Baseball Team

Suits Up For The Season

By Eli Albert ('09)

Despite a bumpy start, the WYHS boys baseball team is working hard and getting ready for a great season!

This past Tuesday, the Storm took on Donna Klein—while they lost 9-1, a few players shined on the field. Doron David’s ('09) excellent pitching helped keep the score relatively in check, while Lior Goldstein ('09) scored the solitary run with a great slide into home.

The Storm also played Lake Worth on Thursday and despite a great fight were beaten 11-2. Captain Yoni Horowitz ('07) drove in Elie Baratz ('08) on a well hit double, and Yoel Goldberg ('09) outran a precarious “pickle” situation and scored.

Beaten but not defeated, the boys baseball team is ready to take on the next opponents.

Come watch the Storm

take on Trinity at 8:30pm

@ Pinewoods Park!

Click On Picture Above For A Trip Down Memory Lane!

Braving The Cold

Class Of '08 Enjoys Amazing Class Ski Trip

By Harry Ganz ('08)

The idea of sliding down a mountain on thin strips of carbon fiber was not very appealing to me, but the junior trip to Sugar Mountain in North Carolina ran as smoothly as ice. Many of the juniors had never skied before, and a few had never even seen snow.

After a 12 hour drive to Blowing Rock, North Carolina, the junior class almost immediately hit the slopes. The first day was a unique experience, as many tried skiing and snowboarding for the first time. Despite the numerous wipeouts, everyone had a great time learning together, and many graduated from the bunny slopes after just a few runs.

After a delicious barbecue and a short rest, the junior class headed back to the mountain for some amazing night skiing! Despite the cold temperatures, the juniors had an amazing time zooming down the mountain in the beautiful moonlight.

The next day featured even more skiing and snowboarding, and an incredible night of tubing. The juniors had a blast as they hurtled down the track in massive human chains and raced each other down the snow.

Unfortunately, the juniors had to pack up and head back on the bus for another long yet memorable bus ride. While the trip ended far too soon, the memories we created on the junior trip drew us closer as a class before our final year at WYHS. Thank you so much to Rabbi Josh Spodek, Mrs. Claudia Cohen, Justin Kolhagen ('04) Julie Rosenberg and Daniel Shimansky for making this an unforgettable class trip!

Getting In The Ring With

Dmitriy Salita

Champion And Hero

By Shira Borzak (’07)

This past Wednesday night’s weekly boys mishmar was a little different than usual. In addition to dinner and learning, the boys were honored to hear from champion professional boxer and religious Jew, Dmitriy Salita. After moving with his family to Brooklyn from Odessa, Ukraine at the age of nine to escape religious persecution and discrimination, Dmitriy quickly rose through the ranks of amateur to professional boxer and has won numerous titles. Dmitriy was a hit at WYHS, as he entertained and inspired the boys with his amazing story and insight. Below, we asked Dmitriy about his time in South Florida, and of course, boxing.

How did you get into boxing?

I used to do karate when I lived in Odessa, and did it when I moved to America. When I was thirteen my brother suggested I go to a boxing club. I used to watch fights on TV and get motivated by them. So, I went to the club, and immediately got a special feeling, and it stuck.
    It must be tough to box professionally and be observant—how do you manage this?

A lot of fights are on Friday night, but a lot are on Saturday night or Thursday night. I am luck to have a great fan base, and as long as they show up, the promoters will make it happen for you. In the beginning of my career I sacrificed a lot, but now its much less of a problem.
    What were some of your impressions of WYHS and the Boca Raton community?

The school and the whole community are great. I stayed at Rabbi Ben Sugerman’s house and he treated me like a family member. It’s a great community, very tight—the synagogue is great because it has so many different flavors. There is every kind of minyan you could ever want.
    What life lessons have you learned through the process of boxing? Did you learn anything new about yourself?

I learned about human nature and my own nature in the ring. Boxing is very taxing, physically and spiritually— its very demanding. I’m only 24, but I’ve experienced a lot of the things that matured me. A lot of lessons I’ve learned will help me in the future, outside the ring.
    Any final words?

I want to thank the school, Rabbi Sugerman and the entire Jewish community here for taking me in and showing me a lot of love. It’s been a great experience, and I look forward to visiting again.

free web polls Whose costume was your favorite at the WYHS Purim Chagigah?
    Ethan Wasserman
    Michael Mizrachi
    Sarah Cohen
    Doni Matilsky

Free Counters

“I will never compromise my beliefs. I have a personal

relationship with God that I won’t compromise. My boxing

is such a big part of my life, but it won’t get in the way of

my religion. It can’t, and it won’t.”

-- Dmitriy Salita, champion boxer and observant Jew

here

Yeshiva Highlites Staff