$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of the Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Parshat Vayakhel-Pekudei
Friday, March 16, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 7:11pm

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

The high cost of tuition in Jewish day schools has been a hot topic of discussion over the past year in the U.S. Jewish community. National think tanks have been assembled, and a flurry of articles decrying the situation have been written. Scott Shay devotes a chapter in his new book “Getting Our Groove Back: How to Energize American Jewry” to this challenge.

This vexing problem stems from the confluence of a number of factors;

• Quickly growing day school populations. This year, the number of students in day school (207,000) overtook the number of children in afternoon or supplemental Jewish schools.
  • Quickly growing tuitions. Excellence is something we strive for in every area of our lives- professional and personal. We demand better day schools than our parents’ generation. Day school tuitions are in line with better private school tuitions.
  • Relatively flat federation campaigns. Federations are committed to helping day schools. They just can’t keep pace with the population and tuition growth. Boutique or designated giving is now “in”, as opposed to unrestricted gifts to federations.
  • We now charge what it costs. Just a few years ago, the mantra was “every child is on scholarship”. That’s not true today. The fundraising that day schools do today is for tuition assistance for those who can not afford to pay full (and capital campaigns).
  • There have been a number of important contributions to WYHS to address this issue- the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County’s significant support, the Keter Society whose families have made a multi-year commitment to the school’s scholarship needs, the Sephardic Scholarship Fund, the Shay Scholarship for students who enroll from public school, the David Bensmihen Scholarship for students of exemplary character, the many donors to WYHS over the years, and those of you who are presently answering the call of the $250,000 Challenge Grant.

I am very proud of the Jewish day school movement’s growing population and increased academic standards. Regardless of their parents’ financial ability, WYHS is committed to provide a challenging and inspiring education to Jewish teenagers who desire religious and academic growth.

Mazel tov to our Math Instructor Mrs. Heidi Segal and her husband, Adam on the birth of a baby girl yesterday.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
    to link to these five websites
    highlites archive
    edline calendar
    photo gallery
    federation
    movies
    highwaylogo
    yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Hollywood Family Shabbat
    March 16-17

• SPBC Federation Super Sunday
    Sunday, March 18th @ 5:00pm

• Rosh Chodesh Nisan Chagigah
    Tuesday, March 20th @ 9:10am

• WYHS Spring Comedy "Rumors"
    Wednesday, March 21st
    @ 7:30pm at Crest Theater

• Sophomore Class Trip
    March 25-26

• Senior Class Learn-A-Thon
    March 27th @ 3:30pm

• Come See "Rumors"!!!

WYHS is pleased to announce its spring comedy, "Rumors"!

Come watch the WYHS thespians on Wednesday, March 21st at 7:30pm at Crest Theater for one night only!

Tickets are on sale now. Buy in advance and receive a special reduced price!

Please email Mrs. Saddler, our drama director at mes@wyhs.net for more details and to purchase tickets.

Keeping Our Students Safe

Phil Rosenthal Educates

And Enlightens WYHS On Internet Safety

By Shira Borzak ('07)

The advent of the Internet has ushered in an era where we have access to immeasurable resources, and can reach just about anyone or anything with the mere click of a mouse.

While the “Information Age” has greatly improved our lives, it has also come with inherent risks, threats and dangers.

This week, Phil Rosenthal, a world- renowned expert on Internet crime, spoke to the entire student body, faculty and parents about the dangers of the Internet. He related stories about children drawn into dangerous relationships with online “friends” who were intent upon causing horrific harm.

Particularly interesting to WYHS teenagers was Mr. Rosenthal’s discussion of the risks – destroyed relationships, resulting humiliation, and lack of privacy -- surrounding popular social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace.

Many left Mr. Rosenthal’s session feeling better prepared and protected from the world in cyberspace. Hopefully, from the common sense lessons he imparted, we can continue to enjoy the phenomenal benefits of the Internet, without falling prey to its dangers.

The Principal Goes

Back To School

By Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

I was privileged to spend two weeks last month studying at Columbia University’s Teachers College as a Klingenstein Visiting Fellow. It was an honor for me and our school that I was chosen for this challenging and prestigious program. It was unlike any educational or professional experience in which I have ever participated.

The twenty fellows were all heads of independent schools. They hailed from Tianjin, China; Kobe, Japan; Bergen, Norway; Nice, France; Kilimanjaro, Tanzania; Maui, Hawaii; Toronto, Canada and a number of different states. Not only was I the only Jewish day school administrator, I was the only Jew in the group. I was actually the first Jewish day school head to ever participate in this program.

Each of us chose to research a topic in which we were personally interested. The first goal of the program was to expose us to the vast world of educational research, which is too often only read by educational researchers, and not practitioners in the field. We were in the library late into the night searching for articles and doctoral dissertations that were relevant to our topics.

One of the world’s experts on private schools, Dr. Pearl Rock Kane, took us to four very different schools in Manhattan; Dalton (a famous Upper East Side private school), KIPP (a charter school with school on Saturdays), a public middle school (coincidentally run by a Jewish day school graduate), and an all girls high school in Spanish Harlem. Dr. Kane’s fascinating class focused on contemporary issues in independent school education.

On the last day of the program, we presented our findings to our colleagues, professors and graduate students. Then I thoroughly enjoyed Shabbat at David Berman’s (’02) apartment with our graduates studying at Columbia and Barnard. Sheri Adler (’02) gave a beautiful dvar Torah to the over 200 people at Kabbalat Shabbat at the Columbia Hillel, and I gave a shiur after shacharit the next morning.

Thank you to my family and WYHS for allowing me to devote my winter vacation and the following week to this outstanding growth opportunity. Thank you to the Klingenstein family for sponsoring this world class experience. Last but not least, thank you to our graduates for sharing a memorable Shabbat with me.

Girls Tennis

Is A GRAND SLAM!

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

With three wins and only one loss, girls tennis has the best record of any WYHS team this year. Newcomers Martha Baumgarten (’10), Rachel Benaim (‘10), Lizzy Markovitch and LeeLee Borzak (’10) joined veteran upperclassmen in what is proving to be a winning combination.

The team’s hard work is evidently paying off and resulting in wins in the competitive tennis district.

This past Tuesday, the girls tennis team emerged victorious against Boca Christian. Lizzy Markovitch (’10) dominated the scoreboard with her powerful shots as Rachel Marcus (’09) fought hard in her top-seeded position.

Although the girls experienced their first team loss in Thursday’s game, Gaby Markovitch’s (’09) strong fore-hand pulled off a close win against her opponent. After a nail-biting tie breaker, Tehilah Weiss (’08) also won her match with her smart playing tactics.

Because of their efforts, the team has been improving ever since the beginning, under the expert guidance of Coach Zoley.

This season is sure to be one of the best in Storm history.

Come watch the

Storm Tennis Team

take on David Posnack

on Tuesday, March 20

at 4:15pm @ Central Park!

He Said/ She Said

Thespian Edition

By Alexa Bryn ('08)

While the Spring Comedy at WYHS is always memorable, wacky, and hilarious, everyone involved in Rumors, set to debut next Wednesday night, says it’s the best play in WYHS history. Below, Chana Brauser (’10) and Jeremy Hodkin (’09) give us a “behind the curtain” tour of the cast, the characters, and the moments that will make you howl.

Are you anything like your character?

He said: My character is a wealthy, fifty year- old man from Connecticut, so I’m definitely not like him in that respect. But, we can both definitely be annoying at times, at least when we want to be.

She said: Not really. She is very annoying, bossy, and doesn’t really listen to anything anyone else says. I hope I’m not like that!

What makes Rumors so funny?

He said: The scene where Avi Dennis, Harry Ganz, and David Belolo dance the “Bamba” – it’s just unforgettable.

She said: The cast – we’re a group of very interesting personalities, and since our characters are so odd, it ends up being very funny.

What has been the best and the most difficult part of your role?

He said: The monologue – it’s the best and the worst part of my role. The good part is that I get to do basically whatever I want. I get to speak to the audience without any constraints. Yet, it’s tricky because I have no stage directions, and just have to talk for really long periods of time.

She said: The best part is that I get to have crazy mood swings. The hardest part is having to yell so much!

What was the best acting tip you received from Mrs. Saddler or fellow cast members?

He said: Feel natural on stage -- don’t force it. Know my lines and my character well enough that I can “play on stage.”

She said: Mrs. Saddler taught us to react, rather than just act. You have to take cues from the other actors and make it seem like you are in the actual situation, not just playing a part.

17 Number of showers Aryeh Genet ('08) has taken since swimming the lake

0 Number of showers Shira Borzak ('07) has taken since swimming the lake 

28 Number of
    teachers in WYHS

315 Hours these teachers
    have spent in professional
    development this year

“Thank you for always including us in the school and its

chagigot and unbelievable events. The school was an

amazing experience for me, and my experiences continue

to act as a guide for me everyday.”

-- Shulamit Atkin ('04), after the school Purim Chagigah