$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of the Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Parshat Yitro
Friday, February 9, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 5:51

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

What is the role of a lay leadership of our school? Are they an appeals court to decisions made by the administration? Are they a sounding board for complaints from parents?

Our board is a model for Jewish day schools, due to the visionary leadership of WYHS’ founding president Mrs. Pamela Turk, and her successor, Dr. Sam Lasko. Our lay leadership focuses on governance, and charges the professional leadership to focus on management. Our board functions the way a private school board is supposed to function.

To ensure the school’s long term viability is the mission of a board of an independent school. The board looks at the big picture, and asks the hard questions. Where does the school need to be in 5, 10, & 20 years? What do we need to do this year to get there? Where will money come from to make our dreams come true?

Fiduciary responsibility is one of the board’s most important jobs. The board approves the school’s budget, including setting tuition and fundraising goals. The professional staff can only spend within categories and amounts approved in the budget. Addressing the school’s long term debt or reserves and capital needs is the board’s duty.

Our board has only two employees- our executive director, Shimmie Kaminetsky, and me, the school’s principal. The faculty and staff report to one of the two of us. It is our responsibility to hire, support and evaluate the school’s employees. It is the board’s responsibility to hire, support and evaluate the two of us.

If you have a complaint or suggestion about any aspect of the school, the correct address is Shimmie (non-academic issues) or me (academic and co-curricular issues). We are accessible 24 hours a day by e-mail, and invite your feedback and input.

I feel truly privileged to work for our board. It is their commitment to our respective roles that has produced the growth of the student body, the stability of our faculty, our fiscal health, and our school’s reputation for excellence.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Congradulations to the Girls Varsity Basketball Team on winnng all three of their games in the RASG Hebrew Academy Tournament and for advancing to the Finals this Saturday night at 12:00am against Yavneh of Dallas.

Click on the images below
to link to these five websites
highlites archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

Saturday Night, Feb. 10

• Boys Varsity B-Ball
    District Championship Game @ 8:30pm

• Girls Varsity B-Ball Finals
    vs. Yavneh of Dallas @ 12:00am

Sunday, Feb. 11

• ACT at WYHS @ 8:00am

• Prospective Student BBQ's at
    Rabbi Tirschwells and Mrs. Kanner
    @ 1:00pm

• Buy The Fantasticks DVD!

The DVDs for WYHS’s Production of The Fantasticks are ready.

For only $20 you will receive a professionally recorded and edited video that will last you a lifetime.

Please send cash or check to the front office.

You can email Mrs. Saddler, our drama director at mes@wyhs.net for more details.

Boys Varsity B-Ball Season Keeps Rolling!

Big District Championship Game This Saturday Night

By Yoni Levenson ('09)

This past Wednesday night, the boys Varsity basketball team faced off against district rival Boca Prep for the right to play against Grandview in the District Championship game.

Preceding the game was a 3-point competition, during which two members from each team tried to make as many 3-point shots as they could in a 1 minute span. Congratulations to Ronnie Rosenbaum, who won the competition and will put his skills to the test again on Saturday night as he participates in the 3-point finals.

After this competition, the game began. Although the game started off neck-in-neck, the Storm eventually pulled ahead to seal the victory. Led by captain Anosh Zaghi’s amazing 31 points and co- captain Eli Baratz’s leadership, the Storm won by a score of 67-46.

Thank you to the Storm fans who cheered the team on to victory, and we hope to see you there again this Saturday night as the Storm play Grandview for the District title.

GO STORM!!

Cutting Edge Technology

Video Conferencing impacting

WYHS students and faculty

By Danielle Wolkowicz ('09)

WYHS is on the cutting edge of technological developments which greatly improve teaching and learning. The school’s new interactive, real time video conference equipment is greatly impacting students, teachers and administrators.

Yeshiva University created GLI- Global Learning Initiative- to help Jewish schools across the world connect with each other and share ideas. It purchases and loans the equipment (worth over $10,000) to schools throughout North America. In addition, it has made a shidduch between GLI schools and Jewish day schools throughout the world through the Jewish Agency.

Since receiving the equipment in October, WYHS has used it for various different occasions. An alumnus studing at Shaalvim for Women in Israel spoke at our Open House about how her WYHS experience prepared her for seminary and answered questions from the audience .

Rabbi JJ Schachter, Senior Scholar at YU’s Center for the Jewish Future, taught two interactive pre- Chanukah shiurim to our seniors via videoconference. He truly maximized the potential of this technology, calling on the students from Boca to answer Dallas’ question, and then asking Seattle if they agreed with Boca’s analysis.

Our teachers have participated in an array of professional development opportunities via video conference. Dr. Norman Blumenthal, Chai Lifeline’s Director of Crisis Intervention and Bereavement , lead a well-received inservice at our recent midyear faculty meeting from the Chai Lifeline offices in New York. The teachers have participated in classes with YU’s Dr. David Pelcovitz and shiurim from world renowned scholars such as Rabbi Menachem Leibtag and Rabbi Dr. Moshe Dovid Tender.

When Mrs. Kanner’s daughter had a baby in December, she taught her classes from Yeshiva University! It was like she was in the room- calling on student who rose their hands and taking attendance.

Rabbi Tirschwell participates in a monthly meetings with principals from throughout North America, at which they brainstorm addition ways to use this powerful equipment.

WYHS is looking to expand its uses of the system. Rabbi Spodek is organizing a meeting between our student council , and those at yeshiva high schools across the country. The school is investigating having courses taught to our students by college professors.

Thank you to the Association of Modern Orthodox Day Schools and Yeshiva High Schools (AMODS) of the Center for the Jewish Future (CJF) of Yeshiva University for providing this equipment and so many excellent educational opportunities.

UPSHERIN

Girls Donate Hair

For Cancer Patients

By Raquel Amram ('07)

While WYHS students give of their time to help others on a daily basis; it is very rare that they have the opportunity to physically give of themselves. Last Friday, the entire female student body gathered for an absolutely remarkable Chesed event. Twelve girls and two teachers donated their hair to Chai Lifeline in order to make wigs for children who lose their hair as they undergo chemotherapy.

Mrs. Kanner gave an inspiring dvar torah, connecting Tu Bishvat and the seeds in trees to the cutting and donating of hair. We also watched an incredibly moving video of Camp Simcha, the Chai Lifeline summer camp, highlighting the level of simcha that cancer stricken children can derive from a small Chesed.

For many of us, I dare to say that the event ranks as one of the most meaningful in our lives. We were incredibly moved as we watched the video and listened as Chai Lifeline children and parents spoke about the constant struggle, from doctor to doctor, from medicine to medicine—and the way that Chai Lifeline brings joy and hope into their lives.

Mrs. Ellen Shemesh, Chai Lifeline’s director, described the way that losing one’s hair contributes to a loss of self-esteem. By making wigs for girls and peyot and beards for boys, it gives the children a very important confidence boost.

I chose to cut my hair because of the joy that it would bring to another girl or boy. My hair will grow back, but these patients do not have the same luxury. I was thrilled to make such a simple but meaningful contribution to the happiness of a child in need.

Mrs. Shemesh, the director of Chai Lifeline, expressed her gratitude, saying, “I found the event to be very inspirational, it was beautiful to see the girls and staff members truly give of themselves to help others, children that they don't even know. We consider ourselves blessed to have the support of WYHS staff and students, and look forward to partnering in many more projects.”

The WYHS students certainly look forward to donating their hair, their time, and most importantly, themselves, to helping Chai Lifeline patients in the future!

A big Yasher Koach to all of the participants: Rebecca Fuchs (’10), Gal Dayan (’10), Sara Shabtai (’10), Orelia Elkaim (’10), Elana Linker (’09), Aliza Wallerstein (’09), Ariella Davis (’09), Yocheved Tirschwell (’08), Miriam Clements (’07), Elisheva Rigol (’07), Ilana Weberman (’07), Raquel Amram (’07), Mrs. Andron and Mrs. Horowitz. You have truly enriched someone’s life!

Click Here To See Upsherin In The News

Backstage Pass With

WYHS Band Members

Alexa Bryn (’08)

In what is definitely the most exclusive Highlites interview of the year, David Spektor (’10), Josh Berdugo (’09), Jessie Busch (’09), BJ Litwin (’09), Ben Scheiner (’09), Harry Ganz (’08), and Ben Shai (’07), give us the inside scoop on what it’s like to be a member of the WYHS band, Chazak. Below, they dish on their musical influences, their best performances, and why Chazak is such an important part of WYHS culture.

How did the band get its name?

Josh: It was my idea. I chose the name Chazak because it means strong and strength keeps the band together.

Ben Scheiner: I came up with the name “Smashing Idols.” I thought it was funny but the band nixed it.

When did you realize that the band was really coming together?

David: It was our first practice and Rabbi Broide was there. We had no specific music to play and we just jammed off the top of our heads and we started thinking, “Wow, this sounds really good. We can work with this.”

Ben Shai: When we played at the Chanukah Chagigah, the audience was huge and they were really into it. It was like wow, this is really happening.

Who are your musical influences?

BJ: Everyone in my family is very musical. We all play an instrument so I guess I kind of grew up around it.

Josh: My brother. He’s amazing and he’s really helped out the band.

Jessie: The world. I get inspiration from everything.

David: I’ve played piano since I was 5 years old and my piano teacher has taught me everything I know. She taught me a lot of music theory, and from that I taught myself how to play the saxophone.

Harry: My uncle is the President of the Manhattan School of Music. I get all of my musical talent from him.

Ben Scheiner: My friend Daniel Makover is a really amazing musician. He used to always come over and we would jam and he really helped me develop as a guitarist.

Ben Shai: Mark Hoppus, the bassist of blink-182, really revolutionized the way the instrument is used.

Why is the band an important part of WYHS?

BJ: It creates a lot of ruach in the school. It shows what WYHS is all about.

Ben Scheiner: The great thing about WYHS is that it’s not all learning -- there is so much fun involved as well. The band makes sure that all of the students are having fun at all of the school events.

What was the highpoint of your career together?

Harry: Both of our performances at Hillel in Boca Raton were great. Everything came together. We have very high hopes for our performance at the Purim Chagigah, so get excited!

What’s it like being famous?

Ben Scheiner: We love our groupies!

David: The fans are awesome!

Harry: Let’s just say we have to keep the fans from tripping over the microphone because they’re always trying to jump onstage.

free polls Who is most likely to make the all new girls fencing team at WYHS?
    Hillel Lefkowitz
    Harry Ganz
    Perla Maikhor
    Michali Berkowitz

free counter

“I found the event to be very inspirational,

it was beautiful to see the girls and staff members

truly give of themselves to help other children.

We consider ourselves blessed to have the support

of the WYHS staff and students.”

--Mrs. Ellen Shemesh, Director of Chai Lifeline

here

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Shira Borzak (’07)

Editor-in-Chief

Alexa Bryn (’08)

Assistant Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen

Director of Technology
    Alana Dweck ('09) Assistant Photo Editor