$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of the Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Parshat B'Shalach
Friday, February 2, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 5:46

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

We just don?t view ourselves as private school parents. Should we? For the past two weeks, I have had the distinct privilege of immersing myself in studying the phenomena of private and public schools as a Klingenstein Visiting Fellow at Teachers College of Columbia University, with 20 heads of schools from throughout the world. We read a huge amount, we visited four great schools, learned a lot from each other and from erudite professors.

The following is an exerp from a paper that I wrote for one of my classes:

I often hear parents say, that if not for their commitment to a Jewish education and religious environment for their children, they would send their children to public school. When our minds wander, we whimsically dream about how our lifestyles would be different if not for tuition (Solomon, 2003).

How many of us wished that the recent Lawrence initiative (Gluck, 2005) to get public schools to provide secular studies for yeshiva students would have succeeded? It is widely assumed that the number one issue facing the Jewish community in the US today is day school tuition (Jewish Action, 2005). Many believe that it is one of the largest factors driving the marked increase in aliyah to Israel from the US modern Orthodox community (German, 2006).

Many of us went to public school ourselves. We turned out alright! Paradoxically, I believe that deep down, many of us subscribe to the widely-held belief that sending a child to private school is un-American (Greene, 1998).

Click here to read the rest of this paper.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these five websites
highlites archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Tuesday, Feb. 6
    Parent/ Teacher Conference @ 8:00pm
    Jr. College Kickoff @ 8:00pm
    Sr. Parent Meeting @8:00pm

• Girls Varsity Basketball Tournament
    Feb. 7-11 @ RASG Hebrew Academy

• Buy The Fantasticks DVD!

The DVDs for WYHS?s Production of The Fantasticks are ready.

For only $20 you will receive a professionally recorded and edited video that will last you a lifetime.

Please send cash or check to the front office.

You can email Mrs. Saddler, our drama director at mes@wyhs.net for more details.

A Teacher's Greatest Reward

Rabbi Spodek Visits Alumni Studying In Israel

By Rabbi Josh Spodek

There is nothing more rewarding for a teacher then to see his students succeeding, growing and happy. I was privileged to spend two rewarding weeks with our alumni studying in Israel in various yeshivot and seminaries throughout the country. In a whirlwind trip that included visiting all of our boys in their respective yeshivot and seeing many of the new yeshivot, I learnt a great deal about the many differences between the various yeshivot. I was also able to see first hand, how WYHS?s Israel Guidance Department, headed by Mrs. Kanner for the girls and Rabbi Horowitz for the boys, really understands our students and at which seminary or yeshivot they will maximize their Israel experience.

In my conversations with our alumni I heard all about their new experiences, friends and daily schedules. Without fail, our talks turned back to life at WYHS. Questions about this year?s Shabbaton, Color War, the new freshmen class and when the next edition of the Yeshiva Highlites will appear were repeatedly asked by our alumni who feel as close to our school as ever.

It was truly inspiring to hear how well prepared our students felt when graduating high school and how well adjusted they were when coming to Israel.

Visiting 22 yeshivot in 9 days might seem like an absurd idea. How different could each yeshiva be? Aren?t they all looking to accomplish the same things? In truth, the goals are the same ? to produce well rounded, passionate bnei torah who are learned and dedicated to Torah and Mitzvot. Nevertheless the path to get there is uniquely different. 22 yeshivot, 22 different paths, 22 different approaches. After reviewing my detailed notes from each yeshiva, I have really been trying to define what makes each place unique. Together with Rabbi Horowitz, we have spent the past week discussing where we feel each and every senior boy should go next year to get the most out of his year.

This unforgettable trip was both inspiring and educational and I only hope that our current seniors will be as successful next year as our alumni in Israel are this year.

Click Here To See WYHS Graduate Ziyona Rantz ('06) In The News

Connecting Torah

And Science

Rabbi Tendler Visits WYHS

By Shira Borzak ('07)

On January 8th, the juniors and seniors of WYHS were given an unprecedented opportunity to hear from one of the leading Torah scholars of this generation, Rabbi Dr. Moshe Tendler. Rabbi Tendler, rabbi of the Community Synagogue of Monsey, as well as a senior Rosh Yeshiva of YU, is one of the foremost experts on Jewish medical ethics and issues concerning science and Torah.

Rabbi Tendler gave a thoughtful and moving d?var Torah on the parsha of the week. Students were also able to ask Rabbi Tendler personal questions, and touched on topics including brain death, organ donation and transplant, abortion and evolution.

The Judaic faculty enjoyed a delicious luncheon with Rabbi Tendler, and were also given a forum for personal discussion. Rabbi Tendler urged the teachers and rebbeim to ?synthesize the morning and afternoon,? to connect the Judaic and College Prepatory classes.

Thanks so much to Rabbi Tendler for spending his valuable time with us, and to JCRC Director Mrs. Elyse Dolgow, mother to Ilana (?02) and Rachel (?04), for helping plan this inspiring event.

Ending With A Bang!

Girls Soccer Celebrates
    Amazing Season

By Jen Fisher ('07)

The girls soccer season has truly been a great one, and ended with a bang.

The last game of the season was against Sheridan Hills on Saturday night, January 13th, and was one of the most intense games of the season. The Storm was neck and neck with the opposition for most of the game, and each player fought hard. Ultimately the game ended with a respectable tie, but it was one of the best played games yet, and the Storm walked off the field proud.

The team has come far this season, thanks to each player?s commitment to play their hearts out each game. The team?s hard work paid off as we saw the results of our effort in every game.

The team?s success is also due to the dedication and leadership of coaches Ozzy Oliviera and Melissa Pereira, and to the inspiration of our phenomenal captains, Ali Cristina (?07) and Malka Hizkiya (?07).

Thank you and farewell to the seniors of the team, and look out for girls soccer next season!

Taking A Final Bow

Girls Celebrate With "Fantastick" Cast Party

By Jessica Friedman ('08)

On Saturday night, January 6, the cast members of The Fantasticks joined together one last time to celebrate their smashing success in the theater. After loading up their plates with delicious food, the actresses sat down to watch the fabulous DVD of the show, laughing and singing along. Cast members also voted for the bi-annual ?Saddler Awards,? a time honored tradition that includes awards such as ?Best Actress,? ?Least Nervous Before the Show,? and ?Most Energy.?

This was also an opportunity to bid farewell to Senior Meira Tirschwell and to award her with a special trophy, celebrating her four years of effort and commitment to the WYHS Drama Department.

The cast party was a ?Fantastick? way to end the unforgettable experience of the show. Special thank you to Mrs. Saddler for planning this event and to the Friedman family for opening their home. See you at ?Rumors,? WYHS? side-splitting spring comedy in March!

He Said/ She Said

Checking Up On The Class Of '06

With Mordechai Siev

and Mimi Begas

Alexa Bryn (?08)

As the year has just reached its midpoint, it seemed like an appropriate time to check up on our alumni from the class of 2006 studying in Israel for the year. Below, Mimi Begas (?06) and Mordechai Seiv (?06) talk about developing their connection to Torah, maintaining their relationship with WYHS, and growing as both individuals and Jews.

How have you changed and developed during the first half of your year in Israel?

He said: It's definitely a maturing experience. The amount of time and mental effort put into the study of Torah affects you in many ways. I have started to view things through a different perspective and I realize the inner complexities of different circumstances now.

She said: You grow up a little and realize there?s a bigger picture out there in which you want to find your place in. You want to keep your individuality but work on your character at the same time.

What is the most significant thing you have learned since you have been in Israel?

He said: The complexity involved in a single word of Tanach, how that word can affect 20 perakim in another sefer and how a word can have multiple meanings within one sentence. It?s so interesting how all of these things affect our interpretation of the main theme of the sefer.

She said: It?s important that we?re always striving to grow, but we must take the challenges step by step. I?ve learned that there is so much for us to do at any given moments at our lives, and it?s important that we don?t get overwhelmed.

How has your WYHS experience impacted your year in Israel?

He said: I definitely was prepared in regards to my skills for yeshiva. But I also believe that the kesher that WYHS tries to instill between its students and Israel allows me to appreciate to a greater extent the power and kedusha of the land that I am in.

She said: WYHS taught me that religiosity is something tangible and approachable, that you can still be your own person, still be involved in the world at large, but always in the realm of Judaism.

How have you tried to maintain your connection with your teachers and Rebbeim at WYHS throughout this year?

He said: I read the Highlites and use email to speak to my teachers because it?s convenient and doesn't interrupt their sleep.

She said: Let?s just say the Rebbe called me on my birthday. I call the teachers all the time. They are amazing people and so good to talk to when I?m away from home! I love them.

27 Number of hours students spent studying for the AP Biology midterm

27 Number of seconds Mrs. Rainbeau spent grading each midterm 

96 Percent of alumni who read the Yeshiva Highlites weekly

12 Percent of alumni who read the Yeshiva Highlites while attending WYHS

?You have fashioned a wonderful creation;

a school for Jewish teenage souls.

I am sure your parents are kvelling;

your grandparents would be too. ?

--Susan Levin

here

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Shira Borzak (’07)