$Account.OrganizationName

The Weekly Newsletter of the Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Parshat Mishpatim
Friday, February 15, 2007
Shabbat begins in Boca at 5:56

rpt

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Class trips and out of state tournaments present a real dilemma for me. On one hand, they provide a unique opportunity for students to meet like- minded peers from other schools, and to bond with the students they sit next to in class. On the other hand, they entail charging parents money above and beyond tuition, which we don’t like to do.

WYHS is making strides in containing and even reducing additional fees. This year’s great school shabbaton cost $100 less per student than if we had run it in Orlando. As you will see in the registration mailing that you will receive this week, the board has wisely abolished the sports team participation fee for the coming year.

The fantastic freshmen shabbaton, sophomore trip to the keys, junior ski trip and multifaceted senior trip are subsidized by each class’ fundraisers (eg. car wash, challah, flower, garage and mishloach manot sales). Because we are committed to all students participating, we must budget money for scholarships as well.

I believe that a post secondary year in Israel is every child’s birthright. Shorter trips to Israel (summer, winter or Succot vacations) are, in my mind, worthwhile luxuries. WYHS does not run trips to Israel or Eastern Europe because the cost to the parents and the school (for scholarships) would be prohibitive.

Videoconferencing may be an answer to intra- yeshiva competition. Rabbi Spodek has organized the first intra-yeshiva student council meeting, including schools from Seattle and Montreal. Perhaps we will be able to hold competitions between schools through this medium as well.

I invite your suggestions about trips, tournaments and conventions, as we together grapple with keeping the costs to a minimum while continuing to provide an excellent education.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Click on the images below
to link to these five websites
highlites archive
edline calendar
photo gallery
federation
movies
highwaylogo
yeshivin

Upcoming Events

• Sophomore Class Car Wash
    Sunday, Feb. 18 @ 11:00am
    @ Wal-Mart, Boca Raton

• No School
    Monday, Feb. 19

• Boys Varsity Basketball Tournament Feb. 22-25 @ DRS, New York

• Adar-Fest
    Friday, Feb. 23 @ 9:47am

• Second Trimester Chesed Hours Due Friday, March 2

• Annual Purim Chagigah
    Sat. Night, March 3 @ 8:45pm
    @ Embassy Suites, Boca Raton
    RSVP at office@wyhs.net

• Hollywood Family Shabbat
    March 16-17

• Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov

• Shira R. Borzak (’07) on advancing to Finalist standing in the National Merit Scholarship Program
  • David Belolo (’07) and Oren Hizkiya (’07) on their completion of Mesechtot Rosh Hashanah and Taanit with Daf Yomi
  • Girls Varisty Basketball Team on their 1st place victory in the Capt. Galbut Invitational Tournament
  • Boys Varisty Basketball Team on their District Runner Up Trophy

•  

Motion To Go On Model UN!

WYHS Team Attends YUNMUN Conference

By Raquel Amram ('07)

This past Sunday, the WYHS Model UN team met with 600 students from all corners of North America for the 17th annual Yeshiva University Model United Nations Tournament in Parsipanny, New Jersey.

As representatives from Togo and Brazil, the WYHS Model UN team spent months of preparation and research for this exciting learning experience. Under the guidance of Mr. Adam Dobrick and our two captains, Shira Borzak (‘07) and Raquel Amram (’07), the team learned about the pressing issues of today’s world from their country’s perspective.

At the intense two-day conference, the students finally got the chance to put their knowledge to use, and debated with delegates from around the globe in strict Parliamentary procedure. Each delegate worked hard to solve important problems and pass resolutions, just like the “real” United Nations, and made new friends with students from high schools all over the globe.

This team was the strongest we've had yet, and walked away with new skills in public speaking and debate, and a keen awareness of the world around them. Big Yasher Koach to all the delegates: Shmuel Dresner ('09), Yoni Levenson ('09), Jeremy Hodkin ('09), Shira Sabag ('09), Shira Poliak ('08), Leah Wiznitzer('08), Sarah Gross ('08), Jessica Friedman ('08), Shira Borzak ('07) and Raquel Amram ('07).

Thank you to Mr. Dobrick for his priceless guidance and advice as coach.

“We’re Number One!”

Girls Varsity Basketball Team

Wins Championship

By Jordana Kaminetsky ('07)

Last weekend the girls varsity basketball team made WYHS history. With teamwork, determination and heart, the Storm won the championship at the 2nd annual RASGHA girls tournament.Teams from all over North America— from New Jersey to Los Angeles, Texas to Canada—flew down to sunny Miami for this intense tournament.

Right from the start, the team knew this was going to be a memorable experience; on the first day, we took both Ma’ayanot from New Jersey and Ulpanat Orot from Canada by storm, as Ari Struhl (’09) made five breathtaking three-pointers that night. The next day, in a stunning reversal of roles, the Storm soundly defeated YULA of Los Angeles as Bassie Orzechowitz ('08) swished four three-pointers into the basket.

Simultaneously, our weekend was filled with fun as we bonded with each other and the girls from different teams. We did everything from watching a college basketball game to going on the famous Duck Tours of Miami.

Shabbat was a great way to put the competition behind us and have a relaxed, inspiring 25 hours. As we listened to divrei Torah and sang beautiful z’mirot, it became clear that it didn’t matter where you were from, what jersey you wore— we were all united in our love of Judaism and Basketball.

The weekend culminated in our championship game against Yavneh of Dallas. Point guard Tamar Koeningsberg (’08) handled the ball with agility and power while captains Leah Bensimon (‘07) and Alyssa Muckley (‘07) led the team to victory in their last game ever with sixteen points each. However, it was only because of the entire team’s heart that this victory could be achieved.

Congratulations to the entire team on this well- deserved victory, and congratulations to Leah Bensimon for winning team MVP as well as MVP of the entire tournament and to Alyssa Muckley for winning the 3 point contest for the second year in a row.

Thank you to Coach Charlie for your amazing guidance, devotion and resolve; you have truly showed us what it is to be a team. Thank you to Rabbi and Mrs. Horowitz for joining us for such a special Shabbat.

The Stand- Up Rabbi

Rabbi Orlovsky Inspires

Through Humor

By Chana Brauser ('10)

This Monday, WYHS students were privileged to hear Rabbi Orlovsky deliver a moving, challenging, and hilarious shiur.

Rabbi Orlovsky, a rabbi at Ohr Sameach and a former NCSY leader, asked the students to consider what compels them to do mitzvoth. Rabbi Orlovsky brought a unique perspective to this topic through insightful and comical anecdotes.

Rabbi Orlovsky discussed the importance of accepting the mitzvot as commandments, because commandments denote a deep relationship with G-d. As in all true relationships, our relationship with Hashem is governed by a set of rules put in place to show an extra level of care.

Rabbi Orlovsky made this concept relatable by using spousal interactions as an example: If a man calls his wife and says he isn’t coming home for dinner, and she simply responds, “I don’t care,” it proves that their relationship isn’t very strong.

However, if a wife establishes the rule that her husband must come home for dinner, it shows her deep regard for her husband and their relationship.

The students were mesmerized by Rabbi Orlovsky’s charisma and inspired by his message. The lecture was a great success, as laughter and discussion were heard in the halls of WYHS for the rest of the afternoon!

Thank you to Rabbi Orlovsky for taking the time to address the student body and to Student Council Vice President of Torah Affairs, Rachey Berkowitz ('07) for organizing this inspiring program.

Ice- Breakers, Ice Cream,

And One Big Knockout

Prospective Freshmen “Get Into It”

By Daniella Greer ('09)

This past Sunday, almost all prospective freshmen of the class of 2011 attended at a pizza party for the girls and BBQ for the boys, in order to get to know each other, meet their potential teachers, and learn more about the wonderful WYHS experience.

The girls gathered at Associate Principal Mrs. Kanner’s house in North Miami Beach for a pizza party with teachers and student ambassadors. Mrs. Kanner gave a beautiful d'var Torah on Parshat Yitro and connected it to the amazing opportunities found at WYHS.

The girls played creative “ice- breaker” games, as well as a competitive round of Scatergories, and the winning team was awarded with WYHS gear. A huge ice-cream sundae bar concluded this fun-filled afternoon of new friends, new beginnings and a taste of WYHS.

The boys also shared in the festivities, bonding over hot dogs and hearing an inspiring speech from Rabbi Tirschwell at his home about how they are truly fortunate to be members of a minority of Jewish American teenagers who have the opportunity to attend a Jewish day school. They also played an intense game of Knockout, with the three winners receiving awesome Storm gear.

Thank you to Mrs. Kanner and Rabbi Tirschwell for opening up their respective homes, and to Mrs. Melissa Pereira for organizing this incredible event.

Up Close and Personal with

Jewish History Teacher

and Renaissance Man

Mr. Chaim Rosov

By Alexa Bryn (’08)

Most know Mr. Rosov as a Jewish history teacher, incredibly passionate about his subject and always striving to inspire his students. However, few know that Mr. Rosov taught high school English and Journalism for 28 years, served in the US army as the acting Jewish chaplain of South Korea, played in two symphony orchestras as a first chair violinist, was a professor of American Literature at Queens College, interviewed Holocaust survivors for Steven Spielberg’s Shoah Project, and is a published writer and an award-winning sculptor of Judaica. We can all learn a great deal from our “Renaissance Man” in residence. It is clear that you have immersed yourself in so many different areas. What motivates you to keep trying new things?

I always tell my students that G-d gives us certain talents, many of which we aren’t aware of until we explore them. It is so important that we explore every aspect of ourselves, so that we are never satisfied and are always striving forward. All you have to do is try and never be afraid to fail.
    What motivates your sculptures and artwork?

I love to create ceremonial objects. My goal is to create one item in every area of Judaica for each Jewish holiday. It is a really great feeling to mold something with your hands, to create it yourself, and to have it serve a greater purpose.
    Which of your many accomplishments are you most proud?

At every different point in my life, with each new experience, I have felt a sense of pride in myself. Each time I walk into shul on Shabbat and see my Judaica displayed and used ceremonially, I sit back and feel like I’ve done something really worthwhile.
    Is there any central and enduring lesson from Jewish History that impacts the way you live your life?

The Jewish people have survived for thousands of years. When I interviewed survivors for the Shoah Project, and asked them, “How did you survive?” they all answered, “Because I was proud to be a Jew and I wanted to bear witness to what happened to our people.” We are a very accomplished people. Our Biblical heroes inspire me, as do Jewish composers, artists, and leaders from modern Jewish History. We know how to rise to a challenge, and I am always trying to challenge myself.
    Is there anything that you haven’t done in your life that you hope to still accomplish?

I hope G-d gives me many more years to continue teaching and to watch my students accomplish great things. Teaching is my life’s joy and my greatest pleasure would be watching my students serve their communities.

12 Number of students who cut their hair for Chai Lifeline

124 Number of combined inches in hair these girls donated 

93 Number of points given up by the Storm during the Girls Varsity Basketball Tournament

428 Number of points scored by the Storm during the Girls Varsity Basketball Tournament

10 Number of hot dogs eaten by the boys at the prospective student BBQ

248 Number of hot dogs eaten by the girls at the prospective student BBQ  

“Winning the Tournament Championship was the

ultimate way to end my 4 years of Storm Basketball!"

-- Leah Bensimon ('07),

co-captain of the Varsity B- Ball Team

here

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Shira Borzak (’07)

Editor-in-Chief

Alexa Bryn (’08)

Assistant Editor