Subject:   Yeshiva High-lites 9.16.05
Reply:   rpt@wyhs.net

[View HTML Version] [View Text Version]
 View Printable Version

Yeshiva High-lites 9.16.05
$Account.OrganizationName
The Weekly Newsletter of Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Friday, September 16, 2005 / Erev Shabbat Parshat Ki Teitzei 5765
Shabbat begins in Boca Raton at 7:05 p.m.

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Though this was only the first full week of school, the excitement about our unbelievable Boys Soccer season is already palpable. Six consecutive wins is a record in the annals of WYHS Storm sports. After a big win before a big crowd last Saturday night, this Motzei Shabbat the Storm takes on Posnack at 9 p.m. at Woodlands Park. I look forward to seeing you there!

We have taken full advantage of there being no classes this coming Wednesday to enable the faculty to attend a community wide professional development program. It begins on Tuesday evening, with a "Senior Night Out". On Wednesday, we are offering

• The optional PLAN exam for sophomores (3 - 6 p.m.) at the school
  • The freshman/junior girls Big Sister program (3 - 5 p.m.) at the Boca home of the Rubins
  • The freshman/junior boys Big Brother program (5 - 7 p.m.) at Quiet Waters Park in Deerfield Beach
  • Individual yearbook pictures for seniors at school (individual appointments from 10-4).
  • Mazel tov to Athletic Director Coach Jon and Susie Kaweblum on the birth of their first child, a son whose bris the students will G-d willing be participating in this coming Tuesday. Mazel tov to Dr. Moshe and Shari Hirth on the bar mitzvah of their son and to older sister Yael (’06). And certainly last, but not least, Mazel tov to President Dr. Sam and Mrs. Arlene Lasko on the first bar mitzvah of a grandson and to uncle Avi (’07).

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell
    Principal

STORM Winning
    Streak Continues

for an unbelievable slideshow click on the image above

by Gil Tansman ('06)
    and Jennifer Fisher ('07)

“You’ve done a great job, Coach," Rabbi Tirschwell complimented Coach Ozzy shortly after the Storm victory over Donna Klein on Saturday night. Great things have indeed occurred with the boy’s soccer team beating their cross-town rivals 3-1. This victory was achieved by solid athleticism from the entire Storm team, especially from Jason Mann (‘07), who scored the game’s first goal with a well earned “header”. Another notable mention is Shai Barel (‘07), who shadowed Donna Klein's star forward, thus completely minimizing the opponent’s effectiveness on the field. Marc Finkelstein (‘08), Josh Goldberg (‘06), and Daniel Poliak (‘06) all played with tremendous heart and displayed their desire to win on the field. Jordan (‘06) and Dov Lieber (‘06) finished up the game with a goal each. All in all, it was a solid game for the Storm.

And the winning streak continues

On Tuesday, WYHS faced Wellington and came out on top with a final score of 4-0. Almost the entire bench got time on the field in order to ensure them some experience for the future. Doni Matilsky (’09) demonstrated great potential with his solid playing in the second half.

And the winning streak continues.

On Thursday, Storm soccer beat Community Christian, making it the second mercy rule victory (8-0) this season for the Storm. This victory makes boys’ soccer the only Storm team to win six consecutive games in a row in any sport in the history of this school. Jordan and Dov Lieber each had a “hat trick” and then some, with Jordan scoring four and Dov scoring three. Meanwhile, Moshe Genet (‘06) kicked one in as well. In this historic event, every player received significant time on the field to help bring the team to this unprecedented win. The win puts our current record at 6-1.

And the winning streak continues.

As our game this Saturday night approaches, we cannot stress how important it is that all you Storm fans come out to cheer us on to our seventh victory in a row!

As our girls’ volleyball season progresses, the team has been improving more and more. Our scores continue to increase, and we, as a team and as individuals, have all made vast improvements from the beginning of the season. This past week we played three fantastic games against Hebrew Academy on Saturday night, Grandview on Tuesday and Donna Klein on Thursday. Although we did not win any of the games, our efforts and improvements have become apparent to all.

Saturday night's game at Hebrew Academy was quite the competitive game. Though the score resulted in a loss for our team, there was a great turn out of fans who supported us with wild cheering until the very end.
    Tuesday's game at Grandview was yet another learning experience.
    This past Thursday night, we really began to understand and experience the notion that “it is not all about winning.” Being able to watch the Storm demonstrate such amazing skills, was “as sweet as any victory” gloated team players. In the words of Coach Arnaldo Jagle, “the team is finally demonstrating the skills of real volleyball players.” Stephanie Trachtenberg (’07) and Malka Hizkiya (’07) kept the score thrillingly close with their amazing serves and passes. Our bump-set- spike plays, executed flawlessly by juniors Shira Borzak, Jordana Kaminetsky and Leah Bensimon, racked up countless points for our team. All together, our team is improving every game and every practice that we have. The team is looking forward to more exciting (and hopefully productive) games as well as an exhilarating rest of the season!

Come cheer us on—who knows what luck you can bring us!

A Summer to Remember

Many of our students have spent this past summer in Israel on various summer programs. These programs have provided religious, social and powerful experiences that have had a tremendous impact on our student’s lives and in turn, our school. Over the next few weeks, we will be devoting several articles highlighting these unbelievable and enriching experiences.

By Rachel Berkowitz (’07)

The places we go, the people we meet, and the choices we make help mold us into the person we ultimately become. One such experience that gave me insight into who I am today and who I want to be was the NCSY Israel program I attended this past summer, Michlelet. A truly remarkable and unique program, Michlelet offers high school girls an opportunity to spend their summer learning Torah and hearing from inspirational, world renowned speakers.

This summer helped me identify not only my strengths, but also the areas in which I need to grow. Of course, one of the most exciting parts of the program was the tiyulim. These fun and exciting trips all around the country strengthened my love and passion for the State of Israel. Sharing such a meaningful experience with young girls from across the United States allowed me to feel a unique sense of achdut – unity, which I had never before encountered.

I wish to share with you one particularly poignant experience from this summer. Rabbi Kelleman, a prominent author and teacher, came to speak to us one night and shared with us a story about his friend, Alex. He told us how Alex was a man of truth, an exemplary role model, and how he always strove to do the “right thing.” Alex decided to do what he thought was right by joining the Israeli army. One day, Alex sent Rabbi Kelleman a letter explaining to him his fears. The only thing that scared Alex was the possibility that he might be put in a situation in which he would be forced to do the “wrong thing.”

A few weeks later, Rabbi Kelleman was informed that Alex was killed in battle. By joining the army, Alex “took a step forward” and put himself at risk and in danger. Although Alex, unfortunately, lost his life, he lived and died with pride and dignity, and he left this world with a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

Rabbi Kelleman continued to speak about choices, and how these choices deeply impact our lives and our futures. Rabbi Kelleman then told us that it was time for each and every one of us to take a “step forward.” Any little step, he said, that leads us to the truth is in fact not a little step at all. Rabbi Kelleman asked us if we were willing to take that step forward with him, and if we were, to please stand up. Slowly all the girls in the room rose. With tears in his eyes, he yelled out, “Thank you Michlelet. Because of the steps that you are willing to take, we will be zocheh to experience the coming of Moshiach.”

Michlelet was a small step for me, but it was one that has made a tremendous difference in my life.

By Chaim Seligman (’07)

This past summer was my first time in the greatest place in the world, Israel. I feel that this is quite possibly the best way one could spend their summer. My experiences had a powerful impact on me and have helped shape my identity.

Before landing in Israel, I expected to feel some powerful shock and to be really spiritually “wowed.” In truth, upon arriving it felt like I had landed in a country with the same grass, trees, water, and stones that can be found anywhere else in the world. However, as I quickly discovered, there is one major difference that makes Israel so unique and so special. Israel, as opposed to all other countries is our home. It is the place our ancestors dwelled, the place our history has been shaped and where our destiny will be fulfilled.

When I finally arrived at the Kotel for the first time, I truly felt awe inspired and was overcome with emotions. I had heard other people’s stories of standing in front of such a holy site, but I, myself, had never experienced these life changing emotions. What a powerful moment. Day by day, I slowly began to feel more and more at home. The atmosphere in Israel didn’t feel foreign to me, nor did I experience any culture shock. Rather, Israel felt like home and I was receiving the warm welcome I had been missing all my life. For the first time, I really understood what Israel and the Jewish nation are all about.

One of the central themes of Judaism is achdut – unity, and the importance of feeling a fellow Jew’s joy and pain. When I hear stories of Israel and my brethren who are lucky enough to reside there, I can now honestly feel a connection to them. This summer gave me a sense of where I was going in life, and where I should be headed. I realized during my stay in Israel that my family does not only include someone with whom I share DNA, but it also includes anyone who is Jewish. I finally had the opportunity to travel and live in the land I had learned to love.

Veteran WYHS Staff
    Take on New Challenges

by Rabbi Perry Tirschwell, Principal

As the student body and services that WYHS provides grow, so do the responsibilities of its hardworking faculty. A number of veteran staff members wear new hats this year, and a number of new faces have come on board to assist them.

Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner has always been involved at WYHS in so much more than just heading the Judaic studies department. Her new title of Associate Principal reflects this participation. Some of the duties Mrs. Kanner performed this August, were creating Tuesday’s after school electives, finding loving homes for WYHS students living away from their families, and designing the Judaic schedule and placement for all 174 students in it.

Mr. Adam Dobrick’s dedication to his students and our school is legendary. From teaching our school’s first AP course in its inaugural year, to becoming a grader of that same exam, Mr. Dobrick has truly grown with WYHS. As Director of College Preparatory Studies, he is responsible for students’ placement in and supervision of college preparatory subjects, curriculum and textbooks.

Beloved to all, Mrs. Melissa Pereira has always been there for the school in so many ways, as well as being the very busy executive assistant to the principal. Melissa revamped the school’s bookkeeping for two years, and then breathed new life into the athletic department for another two years. Now, Melissa is assuming the critically important position of admissions coordinator. In preparation for her new position, Melissa spent a week in July training at the Independent School Management in Wilmington, Delaware.

Over the past three years, Mrs. Claudia Cohen has become an increasingly familiar face at WYHS. She captures every chagiga, every speaker, every special event for posterity with her ubiquitous camera, and then shares them with close to 1300 people each week through this newsletter. She maintains the hardware, software and network of computers, printers and projectors, our website, our new parent teacher conference system, and passwords for all the programs we use including Edline.

Coach Jon Kaweblum, famous for leading our Boys’ Varsity Basketball Team to its Tier Two championship at Yeshiva University’s Red Saracheck Tournament last year, has now added to his responsibilities those of Athletic Director (AD). The AD hires and supervises coaches, sets up games, reserves fields and courts, provides uniforms and material for our 9 FHSAA league teams.

Chesed has always been a passion of Mrs. Heather Andron . Raised in South Florida and an active member in the Boca Raton Synagogue community, Mrs. Andron will be connecting students with community service opportunities throughout the South Florida community and is the address for any one who would like our students to assist a worthy cause.

We would also like to welcome a new member to our staff, Rabbi Mordechai Smolarcik . A wiz at maximizing computer software, Rabbi Smolarcik serves as the school’s Database and Edline Coordinator, and teaches administration and teachers how to use and make the most of Edline, Gradequick and Administrators Plus.

Chiddush of the Chodesh

by Shira Borzak ('07)

Chodesh: The Hebrew word for month.
    Chiddush: From the Hebrew word “new.” A new thought or original idea.

The title of the school’s monthly Torah newsletter is a seemingly paradoxical one, although quite catchy. Juxtaposing the words “month,” a seemingly repetitive cycle of days and weeks that occur year after year, and a phrase that connotes newness and originality seems like an editing blunder. However, the beauty of the Jewish months lies in this very contradictory notion: while the average Jew will experience over 80 Tishreis in his life, each time around he or she can experience something new, something inspiring every single time.

The Chodesh Chiddush’s aim is to provide newness and inspiration for all of its readers. Founded in 2003 by the multi-talented Rabbi Sugerman with the help of alumni Ilana Borzak (’05) and Jake Singer (’05), the Chodesh Chiddush had a few humble objectives:
    a) To provide inspiring and interesting articles of Torah pertaining to the Jewish month
    b) To bring all students with varied talents and interests together into a productive, Torah- infused literary outlet

Our computer whiz Oren Hizkiya (’07) and our English genius Alexa Bryn (’08) now have a forum to utilize their incomparable talents. As partners in the Chodesh Chiddush, Oren is our trusty Layout Editor, putting all the articles together in an aesthetically pleasing package and Alexa is our priceless Associate Editor, carefully editing each article that is submitted. As Senior Editor I am able to enhance my writing, copy editing and leadership skills. Furthermore, our monthly contributors from the student body are given a chance to creatively and thoughtfully develop fresh ideas and interesting topics for every month, holiday and theme.

We are looking forward to the wonderful words of Torah provided by new and rising stars in our student body. Watch out for the Chodesh Chiddush in shuls throughout the tri- county area, and as a link on the Highlites! And remember—it’s not a Chodesh without the Chiddush!

click on the logo below to read

Students Take Advantage
    of Day Off
    DON'T MISS OUT!
    Inspirational Shabbat Ahead

email: rpt@wyhs.net
    phone: 561.417.7422

Yeshiva High-lites Staff
    Shira Borzak (’07) Copy Editor
    Mrs. Claudia CohenDirector of Technology
    Jordana Kaminetsky (’07) Vice President Student Council
    Chava Rubin (’07) Chief of Correspondents