Subject:   Yeshiva High-lites 12.9.05
Reply:   rpt@wyhs.net

[View HTML Version] [View Text Version]
 View Printable Version

Yeshiva High-lites 12.9.05
$Account.OrganizationName
The Weekly Newsletter of Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Friday, December 9, 2005 / Erev Shabbat Parshat Vayeitzei 5766
Shabbat begins in Boca Raton at 5:11 p.m.

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Should our school have a dean’s list, honor society, class ranking and a valedictorian?

Our school’s philosophy is that every student is unique, and must maximize his singular potential. Each student is blessed with different strengths- academic, athletic, artistic, musical, etc. Students shouldn’t focus on how they measure up to others- they should strive to be the best THEY can be in ALL areas.

The populace we serve is highly motivated. The student who does his best, independent of the grade he earns, is a success in our eyes. A WYHS student who consistently succeeds academically is keenly aware of his scholastic prowess, and is awarded handsomely by his college, seminary and yeshiva acceptances.

With this edition of Yeshiva High-lites, we welcome over 150 new subscribers- prospective students and parents of the Class of 2010 who joined us at this past Sunday's fantastic Open House.

Mazel tov

• Shoshan (Kowal) Levy (’02) on the birth of a girl, and to grandparents Jon and Sara Kowal and to aunt Kayla (’06)

• Adena Goldschmidt (’01) on her engagement
  • Mr. & Mrs. Josh Zvouloni on the marriage of their daughter and to younger brother Daniel
  • (’08).
  • Former staff members Rabbi Josh and Simone Broide on a birth of a boy.
  • Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Largest Crowd EVER Attends Annual
    Open House

by Melissa Pereira
    Admissions Coordinator

Sixty eight (!) prospective students (most with a parent or two in tow) attended the Open House for the Class of 2010 this past Sunday. Students hailing from as far south as Miami Beach and as far north as West Palm Beach were greeted by a cadre of eager current freshmen as the WYHS band “Under Construction” played outside for the crowd. There was much energy and excitement as both parents and students got a sweet taste of WYHS.

With Rabbi Tirschwell presiding, the morning began with an extraordinary dvar Torah by Mordechai Siev (’06). With great passion and scholarship, Mordechai described the uniqueness of his four year WYHS experience. Other speakers included President and parent Dr. Sam Lasko and Associate Principal Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner.

Arguably, the highlight of the morning was a moving video presentation, a montage of personal testimonies from graduates of the classes of 2003, 2004 and 2005. They spoke about their priceless relationships with their teachers, the array of extracurricular activities, and their intellectual and spiritual growth over their four years at WYHS.

Students and parents then parted ways, and participated in mini model lessons and an extracurricular round robin describing the many athletic, dramatic, community service and academic activities at WYHS.

The packed morning concluded with a truly inspirational message from our Director of College Preparatory Studies, Mr. Adam Dobrick, who movingly spoke about the school’s sacred mission of training the first generation of Jewish leaders for the 21st century.

The program was best summed up by a prospective parent, Noel Epstein, who commented that "the Open House was a fantastic experience. I had never been to such a well coordinated and dynamic presentation - it makes me wish I could go back to high school!"

WYHS Takes
    A Walk on the Wild Side-
    SEPHARDY GRAS

CLICK HERE FOR A GREAT SLIDESHOW

by Chava Rubin ('07)

The anticipation for Sephardy Gras began last Wednesday as our Ashkenazic students were educated in the differences in Sephardic tefilah by the BRS Sephardic Rabbinic Intern, Rabbi Ovadia Jacob. Last Friday, Rosh Chodesh Kislev, the Ashkenazic community in WYHS experienced an intense culture shock as our 35 Sephardic students ran school that morning.

The morning began with Sephardic davening, which proved to be an excellent learning experience for all of our students. Breakfast, a Sephardy feast featuring bourekas and shakshuka (Sephardic version of scrambled eggs), was served in the festively adorned ballroom. Many students and teachers were dressed in full Sephardic attire, which definitely added to the fun atmosphere.

Dancing was as vivacious as usual, with music provided by none other than the school band, Under Construction. Following the dancing was a special addition to the Rosh Chodesh Chagigah, a game show called “Who Wants to Be a Sephardy?” Five participants of Ashkenazic descent, Mordechai Siev (’06), Ilana Weberman (’07), Bassie Orzechowitz (’08), David Clements (’09) and Mrs. Grossman (Judaic Faculty) were chosen to answer questions about Sephardic culture, customs and history in order to gain points and grow in "Sephardic stature." Congratulations to Mrs. Esther Grossman who won the ultimate position of "Baba Sali."

This Rosh Chodesh Sephardy Gras was a great start to the fun filled month of Kislev!

click on the logo below to read

Staying On the
    Cutting Edge of
    Israel Guidance
    Mrs. Kanner Visits Schools & Alumni

by Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner
    Associate Principal

“A naches trip” would be the best way to describe my week in Eretz Yisrael visiting our alumni. From seminary to seminary, I was met with shining eyes, bright faces, wide smiles and bear-hugs from our students. The most common response to my query as to how they were doing was “awesome.”

Each student excitedly told me about their favorite classes, ranging from classical Torah studies to a potpourri of exotic and esoteric classes. With child-like enthusiasm, our alumni schlepped me to meet their favorite teachers and Rebbeim, breathlessly filling me in on the details of the class on the way.

In the time I spent alone with each student, they were able to reflect on how much they have already grown in the mere three months since their arrival. They described with deep-felt emotion how strongly they felt connected to the land of Israel and to its people. They talked about how gratifying their weekly Chesed hours were, and how much they gained from their tiyulim and school trips to the Golan, Eilat and Tsefat.

Though each conversation began with hearing all about their new lives, friends and experiences, it would inevitably turn back to Weinbaum Yeshiva High School. Teary-eyed, the alumni would tell me how much they miss high school and their teachers. Each, in their unique style, expressed their gratitude for being so well prepared, and their appreciation for the love and warmth that makes our school so special. As one alumnus so pithily remarked, “Now I know what I had.”

With new seminaries about to open, nascent seminaries up and running and established seminaries starting new programs, there was much to see and absorb. However, seeing the blossoming fruits of our labor made this whirlwind trip an unforgettable and deeply moving experience.

Another Win For Our
    Boys Varsity Team

by Meir Weiss ('07)

It’s been an intense week for the WYHS Storm Varsity basketball team, beginning with Tuesday’s game against Grandview. Led by Josh Goldberg (’06), the Storm went up against six-foot recruits who placed 6th in the state last year and put forth a valiant effort to remain steadfast and strong against the challenging opposition. Although Grandview won 73-38, this loss has only made the players more determined to improve and face them again this coming Thursday.

Boys Varsity played Boca Prep on Thursday and everyone contributed to attain the Storm’s 45-33 win. Daniel Poliak (’06) played a dominating post, scoring 14 points and snatching six rebounds. Moshe Genet (’06) and Josh Goldberg both pulled down six rebounds each and made four tremendous steals apiece, while Michael Schiff (’08) “let it rain” with an excellent shot.

Jordan Lieber (’06) played a great game as point-guard and intensified the game with his constant hustle. Jason Mann (’07) came out to dominate on the boards and Brian Surasky (’06) took over the court both defensively and offensively with eight points.

The team currently holds a district record of 2-1 and an overall record of 4-1. This week the boys will face Posnack Saturday night, Boca Christian on Tuesday, Grandview Thursday, and Yeshiva Toras Chaim the next Saturday night. Come out and cheer on your Varsity basketball team as they continue to dominate the court with the superior coaching of Jon Kaweblum and David Kornbluth.

Check out the Storm Scoreboard!
    A Great Chesed Opportunity
    Gush Katif Clothing Drive
    Building Homes for
    the Homeless
    See the
    Womens Varsity
    Yeshiva Storm Play

at the American Airlines Arena
    PLUS a Miami Heat Game

email: rpt@wyhs.net
    phone: 561.417.7422