Subject:   Yeshiva High-lites 12.02.05
Reply:   rpt@wyhs.net

[View HTML Version] [View Text Version]
 View Printable Version

Yeshiva High-lites 12.02.05
$Account.OrganizationName
The Weekly Newsletter of Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
Friday, December 2, 2005 / Erev Shabbat Parshat Toldot 5766
Shabbat begins in Boca Raton at 5:10 p.m.

From the desk of
Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Our school body grew this year by an outstanding 18% (54 freshmen and 12 transfer students)! We’re anticipating a significant growth next year as well. All prospective students and parents for next fall are invited to join us at our Annual Open House, this Sunday, December 4. The program begins at 9:30am and ends at 12:30pm.

I took a lot away from the Boca and Miami Beach Town Hall Meetings this past week. Town Hall Meetings continue this week in Hollywood Monday night, December 5, at the Clements home and in North Miami Beach Wednesday night, December 7, at the Siev home. Please e-mail Shimmie Kaminetsky to let him know whether you can join us.

I encourage girls and their parents to purchase Tickets for the Girls Varsity Basketball game at the American Airlines Arena, which will take place before a Miami Heat game. See details below. Click here to place your order.

We encourage you to donate used or new clothing, toys and games for needy families in Israel, including those displaced from Gush Katif. You can drop off clothing and toys until December 13 at the home of Denise and Josh Herschberg, 22209 Morning Glory Terrace in the Thornhill Green subdivision off Montoya Circle in Boca Raton. Volunteers are needed to sort and pack the clothing this Sunday from 10:00am-12:00pm. Please contact our Chesed Coordinator, Mrs. Heather Andron with any questions.

Don’t forget to start saying v’tein tal u’matar in your prayers beginning this Sunday night.

Mazel tov to Meghann Colton (’02) on her engagement! Mazel tov to Mrs. Bonnie Pesacov on the Bar Mitzvah of her son and to older siblings, juniors Oren and Malka Hizkiya.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Student Council
Hard At Work and Play

by Raquel Amram ('07)
11th grade Class Representative

After three months of hard work, student council was treated to a night out of fun, bonding and, of course, food. This past Tuesday night the members of student council kicked off their evening at the home of senior class president Zach Cohen ('06), with a delicious dinner and lots of laughter.

After dinner we took off for the Bank Atlantic Arena, home of the Florida Panthers hockey team. There, we enjoyed a great hockey game between Rabbi Spodek's favorite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Florida Panthers. We had great seats and received "thundersticks" that proved to be a hit amongst the fans. A night filled with crazy antics, some intense cheering by Rabbi Spodek for his beloved Maple Leafs, and the delightful company of one another, proved to be a memorable experience for all of us.

Thank you to Rabbi Warren Kazstl for providing the hockey tickets.

Student Council continues to work hard at their various responsibilities for the betterment of their respective grades and the entire school. The class presidents have already begun planning their class trips and are in the midst of organizing class nights out and various fundraising projects. The vice presidents have been responsible for creating two great Rosh Chodesh Chagigot, two Big Brother/Big Sister Programs involving the freshmen and juniors, great Chesed opportunities and having contributed to the publication of the weekly High- lites.

Tremendous plans are underway for the best Chanukah week ever at WYHS. The presidents have been working tirelessly since the end of the last school year, overseeing the effective running of our student committees, running student council meetings, raising thousands of dollars for hurricane relief and planning activites for the recent school retreat.

Student Council has also helped set the midterm exams schedule and has contributed considerable input into the personal schedules of all our students. Overall this has been an exciting first trimester and we are looking forward to even bigger and better programs in the near future.

Stay tuned for the upcoming results of our Freshman Class Elections to be held Friday, December 16th.

Seniors Become
Chai Lifeline Siblings

by Ilana Singer ('06)

You never think that cancer can really hit close to home; unfortunately, it did for me. Last March I found out that my good friend from camp was diagnosed with cancer. After hearing the shocking news, I just felt helpless. I wanted to help him but there was nothing I could do- almost nothing.

I decided that my way to help out my friend was to volunteer for Chai Lifeline, an organization that reaches out to Jewish cancer victims. Started 18 years ago by Rabbi Simcha Scholar, Chai Lifeline started out as just a two-week summer camp but grew into a world wide organization serving over 3,000 families across the globe. Chai Lifeline helps patients and their families by providing meals at home and in the hospitals, video classes for kids while they’re in the hospital, and even giving families cell phones so they can always be in touch.

Besides working with kids who are battling cancer, Chai Lifeline also works with kids who have chronic or genetic illnesses. This organization also runs a summer camp, Camp Simcha. I started volunteering at Camp Simcha Special helping out with Chai Lifeline, which became my personal way of helping my friend. So this year when Ellen Shemesh asked me if the seniors at my school would be interested in being a part of Chai Lifeline, there was no way we weren’t going to accept.

The seniors at WYHS are going to be involved with the Big Brother/ Big Sister program run by Chai Lifeline. Each senior will be matched up with either a kid from Chai Lifeline or a sibling of a Chai Lifeliner to be his or her “big brother or sister.” Once a month, each senior will meet with their “little sibling,” ages 8 and up, and spend quality time with them.

Even though official visits are once a month, the big siblings are recommended to call weekly for a friendly checkup. We are also inviting all of our “little brothers and sisters” to our Chanukah Chagiga so they can see their “big siblings” in a school setting. Once a month there will be a debriefing where all the seniors will get together with Chai Lifeline staff members and discuss their experiences.

No senior is forced to participate in this program due to its emotional intensity, but amazingly it appears that the entire senior class will participate in the program. This is our opportunity to make a lasting impact in these kids’ lives. Being part of this program does not end at the end of the year; the bonds that are created will last a lifetime.

click on the logo below to read

Someone Students Can Always Turn To

Students in their high school years are faced with many challenges. In these formative years, teenagers must grapple with issues of self-esteem and their need to be independent. Teenagers need to become active learners and must be able to balance academic requirements, extracurricular activities, friends and family. In addition, developing good judgment, making appropriate decisions and becoming accountable are struggles high school students are faced with daily.

At WYHS, our school counselor, Mrs. Marilyn Goldstein, is one of the dedicated staff members who is here to help. Providing a non-judgmental venue for students to express their thoughts and feelings, Mrs. Goldstein can help students increase their self-awareness and advise them.

Mrs. Goldstein consults with parents, faculty and administration to identify issues that can interfere with student learning, lead to inappropriate behavior and/or social challenges. When necessary, Mrs. Goldstein will provide referrals. Mrs. Goldstein has been increasingly involved in staff development and parent education. with both teenagers and parents.

Top Ten Reasons to Visit Room 208:
(Mrs. Goldstein’s Office)

1. She has chocolate in her office and you just want to stop by and say hello.
2. Your grades don’t reflect your effort.
3. You think your teacher doesn’t like you.
4. Your friend isn’t eating and you’re concerned.
5. You’re feeling sad or overwhelmed.
6. You would like to stop arguing with your friends, your parents or other important people in your life.
7. It is hard for you to focus in class.
8. You're having a hard time breaking in.
9. Your friend is drinking and you are worried.
10. You just want someone to listen, without judging you or telling you what to do.

Sweet, Triumphant Victory!

by Amanda Krasna ('07)

Victory for the girls soccer team! Last Tuesday, the girls soccer team played their third game of the season and captured their first win against FAU Henderson High School in an intense game with a final score of 1 to 0.

The game got off to a great start, with the first goal of the season scored in the first quarter by Nicole Tyrfus (’06) and assisted by Co-captain Ali Cristina (’07). The teamwork and collaboration used throughout the game was clear evidence of the team’s improvement in form and skill.

Both the offense and the defense played a strong game and helped keep the opponents off the scoreboard. With her amazing saves, goalie Raquel Amram (‘07) played her best game yet. Rebecca Isaacs (‘07) and newcomers to the team, Jesse Busch (’09) and Emily Waxman (’09), all played phenomenally by clearing the ball time and time again.

We were cheered on by many friends, family and faculty this game. The support that our fans have shown is extremely motivating for the players and definitely brings our school spirit onto the field.

Be sure to come this Saturday night at Patch Reef Park at 8:00pm to cheer us on as we strive to achieve two wins in a row!

See the
Womens Varsity
Yeshiva Storm Play

at the American Airlines Arena
PLUS a Miami Heat Game
Open House Is This Sunday!

email: rpt@wyhs.net
phone: 561.417.7422

Yeshiva High-lites Staff
Shira Borzak (’07) Copy Editor
Mrs. Claudia CohenDirector of Technology
Jordana Kaminetsky (’07) Senior Editor